Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

3.7 GPA enough to be considered by Smith?

Curious KidCurious Kid Registered User Posts: 405 Member
edited November 2009 in Smith College
hi there everyone, i'm just wondering, is a 3.7 GPA (on a scale of 4.3, though ppl rarely get past 4) from a good community college enough to get into Smith? Given, of course, that i have great recs, essays and ECs. thanks for any input on this issue.
Post edited by Curious Kid on

Replies to: 3.7 GPA enough to be considered by Smith?

• borginborgin Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    3.7 could be good enough to get into Smith. It's definitely not going to be the only factor evaluated, and a 3.7 is not a bad GPA by any means. I'm not going to tell you whether or not you're in (because I don't have that power) but it sounds to me like you're a candidate for admission.
  • Curious KidCurious Kid Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    thanks for the encouragement borgin. a 3.7 is actually an A- average in my school and is generally considered a very good GPA, it's just I feel that I need to get more opinions to see if it's good enough on top of everything else....anymore opinions?
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Registered User Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    It is FINE! They really look at the whole application, not just the GPA. So write good essays, etc. Youl'll be fine!!!
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Registered User Posts: 3,038 Senior Member
    The GPA isn't neccessarily as important as what kinds of classes you've taken, how challenging they were, how the 3.7 stacks up compared to other students at your school, etc. Smith is interested in your whole transcript in context, not just the number printed at the top.

Besides, as a community college student you're probably better situated to write interesting essays than the average prep-schooler applicant. Work that angle.
  • SmithgirlSmithgirl Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    If you have good essays and recs you'll have no problem getting in.
This discussion has been closed.