Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hong Kong University or Peking University

min9309min9309 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited November 2013 in Study Abroad
Hi. I'm currently sophomore in IR & Art History. I'm planning to study abroad in 2015 Spring and thinking of Peking University or Hong Kong University. Actually, my parents and friends advise Peking University is much better; but I'm not sure that there are enough English-taught courses in Peking University. I've studied Chinese for about 2 years but I don't (maybe never) think that I can take the courses taught in Chinese. Of course I'll take a Chinese language course there (PU or HKU) but I still need to take some courses for my major.. So does anyone know that PU offers enough English-taught courses? And which one can be a better choice?

:)
Post edited by min9309 on

Replies to: Hong Kong University or Peking University

• highland_poppyhighland_poppy Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    In terms of reputation internationally they're both good but I'd put Peking top due to its mainland reputation and the quality of student it attracts.

Remember that, although you'll be able to take Mandarin classes (presumably that's what you mean by Chinese), Cantonese is the official language as well as English in HK. You'd be so better off in Beijing if you want to improve your language skills plus the museums and government resources you'll have on hand.

Of course, if you can't get the courses you need (and you can't stand the cold), it has to be Hong Kong.

However, there are opportunities at other mainland colleges that have larger north American contingents for courses but give you the Mandarin immersion. What about Nanjing or somewhere in Shanghai? There are also a number of other well regarded colleges re: politics/IR in Beijing. Have a dig around.
  • min9309min9309 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    @Highland_Poppy : Thank you for your advice :))) And I should find more information about Shanghai and Nanjing haha
This discussion has been closed.