Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer programs: start looking IN WINTER

13»

Replies to: Summer programs: start looking IN WINTER

• Glitter4StuGlitter4Stu Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    There are a lot of good summer programs that offer scholarships. I encourage students to google search for pre-college and different topics they're interested in and look at the scholarship options. I work in student affairs and I'd be happy to help students find different programs... just PM me and let me know what you're looking for. Also, check to make sure that the program is an application and not a registration... that makes a huge difference. I encourage you to apply to selective programs that offer college credit.

:) Good luck to everyone searching! Also, START YOUR SEARCH IN THE WINTER as some programs have early scholarship deadlines!
  • coffeeaddictedcoffeeaddicted Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    I was wondering, about the asking for recommendations, how I'm supposed to ask my math teacher, science teacher, and research mentor each to write 3-4 different recommendations if that's the number of programs I'm applying for. I'm a junior applying to Simons, Clark, FSU YSP, and maybe SSP but I don't want to apply to just one or two because I know it's likely that I wouldn't get accepted. To make matters worse, each open app so far has an entirely different form for recommendations so they can't be recycled between program applications. How am I supposed to ask each person for that many recs lol
  • renaissancedadrenaissancedad Registered User Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    ^ That's definitely an issue, but unfortunately there's no way around it. You may want to have a frank discussion with your teachers about this and ask them what they are willing to do. The other option is to spread them around more teachers. The good news is that this will make it really easy when you ask them for college recommendations.
    Thanks @renaissancedad, I think what I'll do is distribute them so each teacher only has to do 2 and then make sure they have the time. Thankfully I work with multiple faculty members in the lab and I know them fairly well. But really, it would be nice if summer programs went common app style...
  • magnetar22magnetar22 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @coffeeaddicted, you should also consider applying to the Yale Summer Program in Astrophysics: http://yspa.yale.edu
    @magnetar22 unfortunately I can't afford that program :( I did think about it but I decided I like SSP more and would be more willing to do a lot of fundraising to go there if I got accepted.
  • magnetar22magnetar22 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @coffeeaddicted , best of luck!
  • novialongnovialong Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    hi! does anyone know anything about how long do you have to make a decision after you get accepted to a summer program? I am talking specifically about UPenn's summer academies and they did not specify on a date to decide, but only said to decide soon in order to secure my spot?
  • VaporeonKidVaporeonKid Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    @Savita6 I'm interested in Pioneer and would like to ask some questions– hope that's alright!

What field did you do your research in? I'm interested in mathematics/economics research; are there a lot of opportunities in this field at Pioneer? Also, how manageable did you find the workload– how many hours did you dedicate to Pioneer in a regular day throughout the program? And lastly, what do they look for in applicants (you mentioned their selectivity), interest or experience? Did you have research experience prior to Pioneer? Thanks in advance, and sorry if these questions wre redundant :)
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Reading this a few years after the last update; still very relevant. Love the last piece of advice:
    "Most important thing to remember: what you get out of a program/summer experience is what you make of it."

This requires a positive and flexible approach for some students who don't enroll in their dream program, but making the best of what others may not consider an ideal situation will help in admissions and even beyond.

Great attitude towards all areas of life!
  • collegeiqcollegeiq Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
13»