911 Response

<p>As a camper, I can understand the discomfort in this situation. There is a particular sense of vulnerability when you are sleeping in tents in the woods with nothing to separate you from the other campers but a nylon wall and a zippper. </p>

<p>College age kids may lack the life experience to accurately evaluate what constitutes a real threat from a perceived one. A threat that is, perhaps, exaggerated by the circumstances and sense of vulnerability. As a parent i would much rather my child err on the side of caution and call 911 rather than hesitate. Even if it seems a bit silly to the person answering the call.</p>

<p>Oh, I think the kids were right to call 911. I don't think that in any way that the call was improper. (My post #17 was in response to the person who thought it was o.k. to call 911 for a cat stuck in a tree).</p>

<p>But even though I also understand the OP's natural maternal concern, I don't think that there's any reason to be peeved at the 911 dispatcher. Again, part of their job is to gather information and make a judgment call, based on a determination of whether there is an urgency or an imminent threat.</p>

<p>It doesn't sound like the story was "embellished". It sounds like additional information was provided. And if the kids, all bright college premed students felt threatened in the middle of the night in unfamiliar surroundings, probably with no protection (ie weapon) called for help. This doesn't seem unreasonable. If someone was harassing them, was engaging in dangerous driving and was intoxicated, who knows what could have happened? Calling for help certainly seem reasonable to me. Perhaps they could have been clearer with the 911 staffer as to why they felt threatened and needed assistance. Don't know the content of the conversation. But I wouldnt have wanted to be that 911 operator if things had turned out differently and someone was hurt.</p>

<p>I know from personal experience that calls to 911 from rural or remote areas are often handled by the local sheriff's office, and they can be quite unprofessional at times. Certainly not always, but generally training and response is not the same as you would expect from a larger, professional police force. Could very well be that their call was routed to someone in the office who didn't think it was a big deal. No guns, no one assaulted, no actual threats made, no one injured, the people had left. I am pretty sure our sheriff's department would not have sent a car. </p>

<p>Of course, after having a bad experience where our sheriff's office & deputies mishandled a 911 call regarding one of my family members, I campaigned for a new sheriff and helped him win. So now I can call him directly if I absolutely have to. :) No one should NEED to have that connection to get law enforcement support, but it is the reality in remote areas, especially with the cuts in state aid to counties that many places around the country are experiencing now.</p>

<p>A lot in my mind would depend on how isolated the camp site was ( were all 18 at the same campsite? So was this a section for larger groups?), and how many others were camping at same place.</p>

<p>If interns were asleep at the time of the altercation, I am thinking there must have been some sort of interaction earlier? Otherwise how would these truckers even know that this was a diverse group.</p>

<p>What was the role of the employee, are they the same age, or was it in a supervisory capacity?
I can understand why they called 911 ( although most places I have been camping- is well out of reach of cell towers), but I also understand why there wasn't more response from the dispatcher-they would have probably gotten more response if they had gone to the ranger- which I am not clear if they have done- as the ranger may have more information, about people to keep an eye on.</p>

<p>If others had not been camping before- I would also assume there was some sort of info session as p's and q's when camping- because while I am not approving of the truckers behavior- 18 people acting as a unit in a campground can without realizing it, impinge on others space- and earlier interactions may have prompted this later incident, especially as ocean campsites usually do not have underbrush- to deflect noise/light from other campers.
( which is why I prefer mts)
I'm sorry this happend to your D, but it is a good opportunity to evaluate how to read people and anticipate potentially dangerous situations.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Actually, 911 is supposed to be reserved for emergency calls -- most communities have a non-emergency line for things like a cat in a tree. It's a problem and ties up the line when people call 911 for things that do not require urgent police action.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>calmom, please go talk to our Sheriff's Office - they will tell you exactly what they told my DH, "You are in unincorporated XYZ County - you need to call 911 even if the issue is a non-emergency. We triage the incoming calls, but we do not have a dedicated non-emergency line for you unincorporated folks" I assume same thing would apply to a coastal campground site in Oregon.</p>

<p>I assume same thing would apply to a coastal campground site in Oregon.</p>

<p>Agree- I called 911, when the valve to the outside faucet broke ( as did the shut off for the water main) and I figured 911 could get me the # for the water dept faster than I could Google it.</p>