All the Colors of the Dark - April CC Book Club Selection

I haven’t been chiming in on All the Colors of the Dark because I didn’t read it all that carefully and was somewhat bored throughout. I do recognize everything you all have been discussing! And for some reason, keep running into Kermit on my Facebook reels.

I recently read The Correspondent when it came up on the seven day “skip the line” on Libby. Mixed feelings - on one hand, I didn’t much care for the main character. On the other hand, I read it straight through without stopping so clearly it interested me (plus an easy read). It definitely is discussion worthy. I would be willing to re-read it more carefully.

Not a big non-fiction reader but if people are interested in Lafayette, perhaps it could be paired with Hamilton for July. That would be a lot of reading but we could all start early?

Hamilton: The one by Chernow is 800+ pages. Whoa …

1 Like

Or we could just re-watch the musical which I believe is still streaming on Disney+. :laughing:.

6 Likes

More likely to happen. At least for me.

1 Like

A fan of Sarah Vowel, and think that’s a great suggestion. something humorous during these stressful times is wise.

Hamilton, the book, :face_with_peeking_eye::woozy_face::face_with_spiral_eyes:
Hamilton the play :hugs::raising_hands::clap:

1 Like

That looks like fun and it would be a different choice. I never read enough non-fiction.

1 Like

Important: If you own a Kindle and have even the slightest interest in Lafayette in the Somewhat United States (regardless of what we choose), it is a limited time deal for only $1.99 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Lafayette-Somewhat-United-States-Vowell-ebook/dp/B00SI02DZ4?ref_=ast_author_mpb

4 Likes

I’ve read and enjoyed “The Correspondent.”

Although I’ve seen, and loved, “Hamilton” twice, I’m unlikely to read the book, mostly due to the length. During the summer I have “Books on the Beach” that meets every other week, so I’m usually reading like a mad woman to keep up.

2 Likes

I am not reading Hamilton either. Is there a historical fiction that might work? All I can think of is Johnny Tremain!

1 Like

I actually wouldn’t mind reading Johnny Tremain. A couple years ago I went through a phase where I picked up a few Newberry Award winners - some I’d read and some I hadn’t. Thoroughly enjoyed the step back.

1 Like

Be sure to let us know the “Books on the Beach” book selections. It’s always fun to find out what other book clubs are reading.

1 Like

Here are the this summer’s selections for Books on the Beach. The list was just sent out last week, so, yes, there’s quite a bit of time to start reading the books in advance – but if I read them too early, I’ll forget too many details before the discussion!:person_shrugging:

July 9 : “This Is Happiness” by Nial Williams

July 23: “The Correspondent” by Virginia Evans

August 6: “The Loneliness of Sonia and Sunny” by Kiran Desai (on the Man Booker shortlist)

August 20: “The Bookclub for Troublesome Women” by Marie Bostwick

Sept 3: “The Searcher” by Tana French (first in a trilogy)

2 Likes

The Hamilton soundtrack is available on Hoopla, too (like Libby, connected to libraries), so those who’ve already seen it could get a quick refresher.

We rarely delve into non-fiction, but I’d like to give it another go. Part of me is always hesitant, thinking our collective response will be, “Okay, so that happened." And there will be nothing to discuss. (Avid historians would likely disagree. :slightly_smiling_face:)

I like the idea of pairing Vowell’s non-fiction biography with fiction in the same era, so as to totally immerse ourselves in the Revolutionary War. Johnny Tremain is a possibility, but I went looking for alternatives.

I found a number of novels set during that time period, but most were either too dark, too long, or very poorly reviewed. Then I stumbled across A Girl Called Samson and it looked like fun. Maybe not great literature in the Esther Forbes category, but probably enjoyable (good ratings and apparently very popular, given the number of reviews on Amazon and Goodreads). What if we paired this with Vowell’s book as a duet? https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Called-Samson-Novel/dp/1542039746/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&dib_tag=se&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JmyQ1FoncK_RA5hcMnOAiCMGncoM_dq6zXUEOFpASlH3ybDNF5GkvxTw3cT169_paiw0xAOhn6bYuG_c6QZN0ABMpQ_7ygFdKVaq7MFE5ZXiBdOrnSECT_HY2McbuBwym0mzVUZ_4LCtUeFo7qe_O04eGGhxrxg96hSF5SICHBugbYGNvZNJ4X9ne5zPQH8JzMLzq6ha9clB-3EQsAp-t3UaR7Y9IYUrALPUPEf7gR0.opFimzzOZFMNP9s8EyITO4GEzyI034Chjt-0NzclU7E&qid=1775838602&sr=8-1

I could have written the exact same thing about The Correspondent. It’s good and I gave it four stars; I would read it again. But … what if we considered a duet for this one as well? It would have to be another epistolary novel. I was thinking of Daddy Long Legs — likable protagonist, uplifting story, very short, and a classic (which we haven’t read for a while).

I could add the two duets to our voting list, and also the other suggestions above (Hello Beautiful, My Friends, Three Lives of Cate Kay). That would give us five candidates, which is good for Ranked Choice Voting.

Give me a bit and I can set up the RCV site. However, if anyone has strong vetoes, let me know (or if Johnny Tremain is preferred as the duet choice, let me know that, too – anything is fine with me).

1 Like

I’m reading This Is Happiness right now (and listening to the audio version) – I would recommend.

I’m also stalled halfway through The Loneliness of Sonia and Sunny. I keep wanting to like it but am bogged down and reluctant to pick it back up. That may be me, not the book, as I have a lot going on.

1 Like

So I asked Google what historical fiction book to pair with Sarah vowel-

I’m not suggesting any- just putting it out there if anyone has opinions about any of these
Sarah Vowell’s humorous, conversational Lafayette in the Somewhat United States, top historical fiction choices include "

My Dear Hamilton" by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie for a character-driven look at the era, or **"

The Women of the Chateau Lafayette" by Stephanie Dray** to explore his later life. Both match the era, while offering a dramatic, deeply researched perspective on Lafayette’s world.

Here are the best pairing recommendations:

  • For Character Focus: My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamiltonby Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie
    • Why it pairs: It covers the Revolutionary period through the eyes of Alexander Hamilton’s wife, offering deep insights into the Washington-Lafayette-Hamilton circle, complementing Vowell’s focus on the key players.
  • For Direct Lafayette Focus: The Women of the Chateau Lafayette by Stephanie Dray
    • Why it pairs: This covers the French Revolution era and Lafayette’s broader legacy, linking his American exploits to his perilous life in France, broadening the scope of Vowell’s narrative.
  • For Romantic/Niche Interest: The Bookmark: Lafayette’s American Revolution Love Story by Anne Supsic
    • Why it pairs: A detailed look specifically at Lafayette’s time in Philadelphia in 1777, focusing on his personal experience
      “

My IRL book club meets every six weeks and chooses two books. The friend who leads it suggested one of the two books pay notice to the American Revolution since this is our 250th anniversary. The first book was A Girl Called Samson; the second, Ingenious: A Biography of Benjamin Franklin, Scientist (nonfiction); the third, Lafayette in the Somewhat United States. I suggested the Lafayette book because the IRL book club members have enjoyed the look back at our history right now.

I’ve been somewhat out of pocket reading-wise, so I’ve only read the Ben Franklin one. I rated it four stars, as did others. I wasn’t at the discussion for the Samson one: I believe most liked the book but felt that fiction definitely outweighed fact. Lafayette has not been discussed yet but I’ve heard positive feedback. (I haven’t read it and only a 50-50 chance I’ll be at the discussion. Recovering from knee replacement surgery.)

Anyway, now you know where I got the idea for Lafayette to begin with.

Me … I’d probably prefer Johnny Tremain for no good reason other than we haven’t gone the YA route yet and the book won the 1944 Newbery Medal. (If I’m the only one with this preference, obviously move on.) I really like the nonfiction/fiction pairing though.

Regardless I’ll be good with what’s chosen. (Brilliant idea to pair The Correspondent with Daddy Long Legs.)

1 Like

Yeeks about knee surgery, Ignatius.
Full disclosure I read both Assassination vacation, and Lafayette in these somewhat United States, both by Vowel a decade ago and look forward to rereading them. Her style is light and breezy, and funny. I learned so much, and enjoyed every page.

Maybe you will surprise yourself, and be up for some book chatting. I hope so.

Oh, I’ll come to this discussion but probably won’t head out to the IRL group discussion at a restaurant. But maybe, I am getting “cabin fever.”

1 Like

I didn’t mention this when I listed the selections for my Books on the Beach group, but I read “The Loneliness of Sonia and Sunny” a couple of months ago for my RL Book Club. IMO it was much longer than it needed to be and really dragged in places. I won’t be rereading it for the discussion on the beach!

2 Likes