All You Care to Know About the All You Care to Eat Buffet

<p>I find that AYCE buffets are a bit of a Faustian bargain. Either you feel like you are getting ripped off or you eat way, way too much. $45 per person for a nice brunch buffet would buy me a week’s worth of French toast and eggs over easy. I only have one stomach!</p>

<p>But would it buy you a nice surf & turf with dessert anywhere? You don’t really have to overeat in order to get your $$ worth when you are talking about expensive and high quality foods. Personally, I would never eat eggs and sausage at a brunch if they were serving non-breakfast items.</p>

<p>There is a seafood buffet on Va Beach called Captain George’s. They have a huge buffet, including crab legs. We love it. My son and I go and eat pretty much just crab legs, and I think we get our money’s worth. They always have a huge line in the summer. captain George’s also has locations in Williamsburg and I think there’s one in NC or SC somewhere. Other than that one restaurant and an occasional Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, I try to stay away from all you can eat. </p>

<p>I am not usually a big fan of “all you can eat” buffets because I do worry about the quality of what is being served. But the lobster buffet in Maine sounds terrific! The one buffet I can vouch for is Sunday Brunch at The Breakers in Palm Beach. Really a sight to behold and served in that gorgeous circular dining room with a harpist playing the perfect accompanying music. Transports you to another time.</p>

<p>Buffets are nasty. Not a fan.</p>

<p>There are Cici pizza buffets and then there are hotel brunch buffets - two totally different animals!!! </p>

<p>Also don’t mind wedding buffets IF there is some interesting food - and not bins of corn, chicken and instant mashed potatoes!!! </p>

<p>Yeah, I’d be all over a lobster/crab leg buffet! </p>

<p>There’s [url=&lt;a href=“http://boston.langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm]this.[/url”&gt;http://boston.langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm]this.[/url</a>]</p>

<p>And there’s [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.nordiclodge.com%5Dthis.%5B/url”&gt;http://www.nordiclodge.com]this.[/url</a>]. </p>

<p>Been to the former. It used to be even bigger and more absurdly decadent.</p>

<p>The latter has a time limit of 90 minutes, I think, and the average person eats 5 lobsters. </p>

<p>Both those places look great, but I still only have one stomach. It’s going to be filled way, way, before I get $42 of chocolate or $91 of lobster into it. They would make lots of money off of me unless I stuffed myself in a horrible fashion so, no thanks! </p>

<p>I honestly do NOT favor buffets but tend to end up at them maybe once a month or several times/year. When I attend meetings and conferences, as well as many weddings and parties, it is often buffet service instead of individual plates (logistically, it’s easier). I enjoy buffets where there is a nice omelet bar (like at Embassy Suites and our local country club). I also like a Korean buffet where you prepare your own food on a grill (about $15 or so per person for lunch and folks 90 and older are free). When the prices are low, I feel no compunction to “eat my money’s worth.”. Actually these days, I don’t feel like eating above a comfortable amount, no matter how expensive the meal is.</p>

<p>I have generally found the food to be better temperatures and better prepared when it is served plated for each diner than buffets; When I have a choice on restaurants, I opt for NON-buffets whenever possible.</p>

<p>We travel to Lancaster PA once a year, and have enjoyed the smorgasbords there, especially Miller’s. This year I really enjoyed the home-cooked aspect of the food (port and sauerkraut, fried chicken, etc). Otherwise, we don’t visit buffets much, since DH is a vegetarian, but there are plenty of options at the Lancaster restaurants.</p>

<p>Sicko couple getting ready to stuff themselves at trough in an all-you-can-eat Golden Corral restaurant arrested other day after their 22 day old infant found dead from starvation in the restaurant parking lot. Unbelievably sad.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/12/30/parents-charged-infant-death/21042227/”>http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/12/30/parents-charged-infant-death/21042227/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;