Are parents obligated to provide the "amusement park experience" to your kids?

<p>“Its a small price to pay for their happiness.”</p>

<p>In a nutshell.</p>

<p>From a book we all know:</p>

<p>During the whole of this time, Scrooge had acted like a man out of his wits. His heart and soul were in the scene, and with his former self. He corroborated everything, remembered everything, enjoyed everything, and underwent the strangest agitation. It was not until now, when the bright faces of his former self and Dick were turned from them, that he remembered the Ghost, and became conscious that it was looking full upon him, while the light upon its head burnt very clear.</p>

<p>“A small matter,” said the Ghost,” to make these silly folks so full of gratitude.”</p>

<p>“Small.” echoed Scrooge.</p>

<p>The Spirit signed to him to listen to the two apprentices, who were pouring out their hearts in praise of Fezziwig: and when he had done so, said,</p>

<p>“Why. Is it not. He has spent but a few pounds of your mortal money: three or four perhaps. Is that so much that he deserves this praise.”</p>

<p>“It isn’t that,” said Scrooge, heated by the remark, and speaking unconsciously like his former, not his latter, self. “It isn’t that, Spirit. He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words and looks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count them up: what then. The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune.” He felt the Spirit’s glance, and stopped.</p>

<p>Think of it this way–for some strange reason kids remember the rides at the fair and if as a parent you can experience it with them you achieve a bit of immortality and “good guy” status for a very small price. It’ll serve you well during the teens when they can’t think of ANYTHING good about their parents!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hold on folks, I am no Scrooge. I have not skimped one bit on my kids and they have not gone without for much for any of their needs and my wife and I have taken care of all of their wants.</p>

<p>I will not allow myself to be labelled a scrooge because I’m debating whether amusement park rides are something worthwhile. I think they fall into the optional part of life and are a worthy item to cut if time and budget constraints are more limiting.</p>

<p>I still remember spending an hour riding the carousel with D when she was about 5 years old. We rode it at Disneyland literally for about an hour. Most of the time, it was continuous, as we were about the only two people on that ride. D doesn’t remember it much, but I do. H & S were off at more adventurous rides!</p>

<p>I have to agree with Slitheytove,"If you wanted to relax, why did you have kids? " It’s going to sound like I’m lying, but my own two kids almost never whined. I had a system where I said “yes” to treats when I could (such as buying a prize from the vending machines at the supermarket checkout or going on one of those dopey rides outside strip malls). Sometimes there wasn’t time or change, and the answer was “no.” This was ok with my kids, because the answer wasn’t ALWAYS “no” or ALWAYS “yes.” Plus, they knew whining wouldn’t work. </p>

<p>When we went to our county fair, we went for the whole day, which was “wrist band” day, and we went through everything, from the 4-H animals to the pig races, and of course the rides. It’s magical for little kids, especially when their friends go along. Our whole neighborhood came out for it. For non-wristband type amusements,such as our local Jersey Shore boardwalk, we would buy ticket booklets on Easter Sunday, and use them up through the summer. When we didn’t have them, we would go on a couple of rides, depending on what we could afford and how much time we had. We went so that our kids could have fun, and so that we could enjoy them having fun doing something harmless that THEY wanted to do. No doubt, there are a couple of festivals each year where the food and entertainment is overpriced. I remember paying $5 for every. single. thing. at a seafood festival, so no face painting or pony ride that time. Also, no whining. They knew that it wasn’t the last time they would ever have a chance to do fun things, so they accepted “no” with grace. They even started to joke about everything costing $5.</p>

<p>It looks like OP just wants permission to take his kids to see the fair without participating in the whole thing. Personally, I think that a fair without at least one ride would be a pretty miserable time for most kids. I’m picturing the music of the calliope, the clacking of the machinery, the lights, the screams and laughter from the rest of the kids…and I’m stuck in the poultry tent, looking at a fancy chicken. I’d remember that all right.</p>

<p>

As long as you don’t wave the optional part of life in their faces. What does the kids’ mom think of all this? There is no way I would let my husband do something so icky to my kids. What are your thoughts on ice cream and cotton candy?</p>

<p>My late FIL lasted 18 months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My wife made trip after trip to assist him as he slipped toward death. My parents both died quickly (Dad) and unexpectedly (Mom).</p>

<p>I asked my wife how she could bring herself to do this over and over again. She said she remembered those times throughout her life that he had done things with her that she wanted to do. Go take your kids on the rides and enjoy it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>But you’re still very black and white in your thinking. Why not budget in 1 or 2 per kid, which won’t break the bank? Why does this have to be something you need to have a philosophical stand on? You’re spending WAY too much time deliberating about this. You do know that most of the fairgoers will get there, spontaneously look over, and decide then and there - hey, let’s go on the rides, and let’s buy $X worth of tickets. In the moment. Without any planned strategies whatsoever. And everyone goes and has fun. The. End. Part of your prison on this is in your own mind, where you have blown up a minor financial decision into something to agonize over.</p>

<p>[Bruce</a> Springsteen - Tunnel of Love - YouTube](<a href=“Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love - YouTube”>Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love - YouTube)</p>

<p>Now this song is running through my head.</p>

<p>If you’re that worried about being pushed to overshoot your budget, then you should stay home.</p>

<p>Get past the label of Scrooge and learn the lesson. Later in life, it’s those little joys that make life wonderful and worth living…even Scrooge knew that.</p>

<p>I agree with Zooser. Stay at home.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Scrooge himself couldn’t have said it better. :)</p>

<h1>49 - excellent!</h1>

<h1>68 -with my own toddlers/preschoolers/elementary school aged children, it was very difficult to plan anything “in the moment” as they did not do well at all unless they knew in advance exactly what the expectations were for their behavior. I don’t think it is bad to think about this in advance. I agree with zoosermom about it being kind of ugly to take children to an event and not allow them to participate in something so enticing. Unless you make clear to them beforehand your reasons, which is going to be very difficult with young children. That is why I like Slithy Tove’s one ride solution… and his whole post 49 which turns the fair into an educational experience. And really, every time we take these little ones anywhere we are educating them in some way.</h1>

<p>I have friends who might go to a state fair with children, think the rides are ridiculous, or dangerous, tell the children so and that would be that. The parents don’t like that sort of activity and I’m sure the children are none the worse… though I enjoyed zoosermom’s graduation story. But these parents both feel the same way and it would never occur to them to ask anyone else’s opinion of their decision. They are quite confident and the children get no mixed messages.</p>

<p>I get a mixed message from your post and question. Do you object to the money spent on the tickets? Do you object to creating a situation where your children may be difficult? Every parent has to decide what the “optional parts of life” are for their children. It is important parents be clear and on the same page so children aren’t confused. If you are on a very different page than the parents of all their peers, this will create its own parenting challenges. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But you better be prepared for it. There are lots of battles more important to me than a carnival ride.</p>

<p>My Dad loved the new car exhibit at the Texas State Fair. We always went when I was a child. I still remember the year my Dad (who if truth be told was not a carnie game aficionado) won me a goldfish from a pingpong ball toss. Funny that I remember that 56 years later.</p>

<p>I also liked the county fair growing up and we took our kids to the state fair in Virginia a couple of times when they were growing up. They enjoyed the animals, the exhibits,the food, and the rides. engineer4life, I’m sure you’re a great dad. Hope you and your family have a great time at the fair! Just go and have fun!</p>

<p>Stay home…it is clearly not worth it to you. Don’t make them see the cow giving birth, or the giant pumpkins or the wilted lettuce. Just stay home. I don’t know if the cost in actual dollars is too high or is it the lack of control or the spontaneity of it all but it sounds like you would fret the whole time. Do everybody a favor and just stay home.</p>

<p>Parents as obligated as they feel. Nobody can make them more or less obligated to do anything with their children. They are obligated to feed them and provide shelter but even these 2 are not that easy to inforce. So, basically it is up to each parent how they choose to feel about anything that they could/would/should…or not provide to their children.</p>

<p>^FINALLY
The answer you were fishing for.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Pay attention to what what kids are reacting to. Go with the flow. Just because everyone here loves the rides doesn’t mean your kids will. Or just because you think the rides are a waste of money doesn’t mean your kids will agree with you. Ask yourself – Is this about me having control or is it about my kids having fun? Go from there.</p>

<p>The lines are shorter when you buy individual tickets. Plus, you can pop in, do a couple rides, and then leave…because you don’t feel you have to stay the entire day for a day ticket. When places sell day tickets, they are usually counting on the idea that the lines will be long so people will stay and spend lots of time hanging around and buying food and extras. SO…the individual tickets, should, theoretically, save you money.</p>