Are parents obligated to provide the "amusement park experience" to your kids?

<p>sev–OMG, you must have been there when they still had the DOUBLE FERRIS WHEEL and the FUN HOUSE (“Upsidedown House”). Those were the attractions that everyone asked for, but they’d been taken out recently when I worked there. Would you believe that they STILL (as of 2010) wear the same uniforms?! And they still tell the SAME lame jokes on the Western Cruise (paddlewheel boat ride). I worked in the Gemini Children’s Area (probably after your time) and Super Himalaya–then swept for 2 years (a much nicer job! I would do it again.) We also used to “warm up” the coasters-- I once rode the Blue Streak standing up–before they added seatbelts and changed the safety bars. (One of the stupidest things I’ve ever done. . .)
My sister worked in Kiddieland, too. (She didn’t get re-hired the 2nd year, “not cheerful enough.”) Now it is almost all foreigners who work there. So many BIG rides. And they pack a lot more people into the park. But even though I was last there on a Saturday in August (super busy) , there are so many different attractions/rides/shows that there was very little waiting for anything. (Not what I hear about Disney–people always say how they spent a huge amount of $$ only to wait in long lines and get to do very little.) At CP only the new ride of the year had a long wait, and we didn’t bother–too much else to do. It has lost some of the “park-like” atmosphere–little greenspace, no Jungle Larry’s, took out a bunch of the tamer rides, big rides cut into Frontier town. . . The beach isn’t as good. It was sort of nostalgic and also sad to go back after many years. I’d see people walk by in uniform who resembled former co-workers so much–I was about to call out their names–and then had to remind myself–wait a minute, those people are 50 years old and don’t work here anymore. Same smells, same sounds (actually louder–lots more screaming from the big rides), but some stuff looks run down. Maybe hasn’t been cleaned/painted/repaired since the 80s–so there is a bit of that tawdry carnival atmosphere–which my H detests, but I find strangely appealing.</p>

<p>BTW, is there anyone out there who remembers a small amusement park called “Fantasy Farm” (long gone) near Middletown, OH?</p>

<p>We loved Playland! My uncle was a Westchester County Pky. Police Officer, he always got passes and ticket books for us. My mother and aunts would pile all of us into a station wagon, (no seat belts, no car seats), pack a picnic lunch and stay to watch the fireworks. My husband and I always felt that Disney was “work”, I wish we could have just relaxed and enjoyed it a little more. Our kids have wonderful memories of our theme park trips. Not sure if OP can get past the control, cost issues to realize the value of childhood memories.</p>

<p>Playland was the site of my big 8th grade trip back in 1970. Ha!! We’ve brought the kids there tons of times!!</p>

<p>Wow, atomom,One of my college roommates worked on the Super Himalaya. What a small world. I doubt I will ever get back to Cedar Point but glad I got back once with the kids (mid 90’s)so they could see where their parents met and I thought it was still in pretty good shape then. Cedar Point was fun!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So is the county fair, to be honest. That’s optional too. So why are you going?</p>

<p>Indeed, anything beyond basic food / clothes / shelter is optional. So what? </p>

<p>You said in a previous thread that you enjoy photography and spend a lot of photographic equipment. That’s just as optional too but it’s a way of spending money that brings you pleasure. </p>

<p>It’s not that amusement park rides are important in and of themselves, engineer4life. There is a broader concept behind this, which is that life is made of memories.<br>
It’s as simple as this - your children would likely have fun, and it’s not going to break the bank. So why not? I really don’t understand any objection you have once you figure out what you’re willing to spend.</p>

<p>Consolation, Playland is still there. There have been several deaths there while we’ve lived here including a little girl from my sons’ elementary school. We’ve gone once or twice. Our family tradition was to take the kids to Playland in Rehobeth Beach every summer. They would get a packet of tickets for rides and when they were gone they were gone. We are one of the few families around here who have never taken their kids to Disneyworld, but my younger son at least says he likes the trips we did take better (St. Johns a couple of times, Japan once, France once, Scotland twice.) And we made a real effort to see things and do things they’d like too on those travels. They also got to go to Hershey Park for some music festival every year in middle school, so I don’t think they were deprived!</p>

<p>I have fond memories of being dragged to see the Penguin Parade at the Edinburgh zoo on the insistence of my younger brother!</p>

<p>Anyway to the OP, yes you should let your kids go on some rides. Have some fun yourself too! It’s mean to take your kids to see all those rides and then not let them go on them.</p>

<p>mathmom,Loved the penguin parade at the Edinburgh Zoo! In looking at the deaths at Playland (on Wikipedia), most seemed avoidable if the victims had been more cautious.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, my son remembers learning to ride a bike in France!</p>

<p>He remembers nothing, nothing of all those visits to the Friendly Farm in New Hampshire. Why did I bother? ;)</p>

<p>When our kids were younger we allowed them 3 rides each. Didn’t break the budget, but they didn’t get to go on everything. They eventually lost interest and do not even want to go to that part of our county fair any more (teenagers now). It tends to be dusty and noisy, which they don’t really like. They would much rather check out the rabbit barn, watch a rodeo demo, eat malts from the dairy barn, and look at the exhibits (both have been 4-Hers in the past, but are not any longer).</p>

<p>Although D2 recently was at a camp where they took a day trip to an amusement park, and discovered a taste for roller coasters.</p>

<p>And this isn’t what the OP asked, but we have been to Disneyworld a couple of times. But just a couple, because (1) while it is very fun, they are VERY good at separating you from your money; and (2) there are so darned many other interesting things to do on vacations.</p>

<p>So… you are not obligated at all. If they really want to and you agree to it, you can let them have a limited taste on your nickle. If they want more… make 'em spend their own coin. :)</p>

<p>Now I have the Palisades song stuck in my head! :slight_smile: We actually never went there, or Playland, because we lived so near Asbury Park. </p>

<p>Anyone else ever go to Bertrands Island on Lake Hopatcong? My mother’s family used to have a summer house there, so that was my first amusement park.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nothing wrong with kids understanding the value of money, but this struck me as a little sad. I’m glad my D didn’t consider fair rides a waste of money. The look of sheer joy on her face when she was on the rides, smashed up against her friends squealing, and even the giggles in lines anticipating the rides, were certainly not a waste of money.</p>

<p>Any Philadelphia area folks remember Lenape Park out on the Brandywine towards West Chester? I loved that place.</p>

<p>My kids understand the value of money too and do some things because it’s social & something to do with friends/family/loved ones. Riding on amusement park games, playing games at carnivals/fairs, etc. are part of these experiences and have been happy memories in our lives. It is definitely a different experience from a national park, museum or beach, but a bonding experience that we and our kids have enjoyed (to varying degrees at various times).</p>

<p>I just read this whole thread. There are several posts that truly made me giggle out loud. I won’t copy and paste them but thank you so much…really fun. </p>

<p>OP, you already got plenty of advice. For one thing, if budget is a concern, it is a no brainer to give the kids a fixed amount of money or tickets and they can choose which rides to do but can’t do them all. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. It would be a major tease to go to the fair and not allow them to go on any rides. If you don’t wish to spend the money, don’t go to the fair at ALL. </p>

<p>What is a childhood without the fun of amusements? Every year, when my kids were younger, they went to the big fair that came to our state in late August. In fact, we took an entire birthday party there for the day one time! </p>

<p>Why do you think Disney Land/World is called the “happiest place on earth?” I mean it is hard to NOT be happy there (and you could sub many an amusement park at any level in that concept). It just seems like something every child should experience (not necessarily Disney, but parks of this sort). </p>

<p>My kids went to Disneyland twice because my parents’ winter home was in CA (we are from New England). Once was when they were very tiny, about ages 2 and 4 and another time when still pretty young, maybe around 4 and 6. They went to Disney World just once (that was for a week though) and that was around ages 7 and 9. Lo and behold, my kids are now 23 and the oldest is about to turn 26. My 23 year old has a commission to write music for Disney and is being flown out to LA next week to do a formal presentation to the Disney executives. Her sister is going to fly there for one night to meet up with her (she is in grad school in northern CA) and the day she will be there happens to be her 26th birthday. Disney is giving my younger D VIP passes for her, her sister, and her boyfriend Monday…no fees, no lines, all shows, etc. They have not been since they were very young. Younger D is surprising older D when she comes on her birthday with this (she think she is just visiting her sister for a day when she is in CA). So, even though they are no longer little, I expect my daughters are going to make many memories on Monday, like old times when they were little. </p>

<p>Cost? Priceless!</p>

<p>SlitheyTove, I found an old set of A and B tickets two years ago when I was cleaning out my parents’ home. It brought back great memories. I can’t wait to take my grandson to Disney in a few years when he is old enough to walk for hours.</p>

<p>Cedar Point was awesome. In addition to terrific rides, they had these fabulous french fries,that were served with vinegar. Anyone remember those?</p>

<p>I think the OP has left the room. Hope his kids get to go on the rides!</p>

<p>Taking our kids to an amusement park is a wonderful opportunity to let our kids be kids, and enjoy those moments with them. It’s also an opportunity to be the kind of parents we choose to be. </p>

<p>As a single mom who moved to Florida to raise my three kids, 2,6 and 8 we enjoyed many visits to Disneyworld, and other local amusement parks, but early on I made it crystal clear to my kids, that when I take them to an amusement park, there is no whining allowed, (I put my energy and time and money into taking them=they behave and appreciate my effort) Honestly they got it, quite early, along the lines of you always wear your seatbelt in the car, they observed my rule. Also, I clearly told them what each visit would include, or not include, ie. at a local fair, I’d give them $20 and they decided how to spend it. Yep, definitely some frustration at having to limit themselves, but hey, that’s life, isnt’ it? As far as the fun value of it all, my three kids are still roller coaster fanatics, last Thanksgiving all three drove off to Universal studios to enjoy a day of rides. Definitely made many fun memories, and something they bonded together over as well.</p>

<p>I have memories of taking my kids to Ontario Place, as well as the Santa Cruz boardwalk when on vacation. They were so thrilled, and those venues certainly didn’t break the bank. Camping, educational vacations, but the amusement parks were certainly highlights.</p>

<p>Soozievt,
CONGRATS on your D’s commission! How very exciting and what an amazing honor! Sounds like a great addition to your D’s growing resume and hopefully a wonderful, long-time collaboration.</p>

<p>Actually, I think the national parks were our highlights, and the kids. That doesn’t mean we didn’t also love amusement parks and are glad we were able to experience the range of activities with our kids, so each could figure out what was best for each of us.</p>