<p>I doubt guns are allowed on campus grounds…including in cars or trucks.</p>
<p>I have pepper spray. Would’ve never occurred to me to have anything else… and I grew up next to Detroit. </p>
<p>You’re more likely to hurt yourself with a gun/knife than use it to defend yourself.
(And considering I’ve broken my foot TWICE while falling up/down ONE stair… I’m likely to be that statistic)</p>
<p>I believe guns are allowed on a few campuses in only 4 states - Colorado, Utah, Virginia and Michigan. Am not sure which particular schools allow them.</p>
<p>I would not.</p>
<p>I very seriously doubt that guns are allowed to be kept by any college student on any college campus for any reason.</p>
<p>ETA…I stand corrected. There are schools where this is permitted. I would not allow my kid to carry a weapon, and I would also look carefully at schools where this is permitted.</p>
<p>Unfortunately there were some schools that allow it. This has been discussed before.</p>
<p>@saitfan thanks for calling attention of the moderators.</p>
<p>@mom2collegekids guns aren’t allowed on high school campuses either but the two male classmates I referenced in my original post (claim to) have knives in their trucks. And the principal at the middle school was fired a year ago for having a knife in her purse. And, most shockingly, when I had a lose thread on my backpack one of my classmates pulled out her swiss knife to cut the thread. It is quite appalling to me that having a knife in your truck or even a Swiss knife on your car keys while on a school campus is not seen as odd or entirely WRONG where I live. </p>
<p>Honestly, even though my father offered, I think I will be fine with some self defense classes and pepper spray. I don’t believe I am strong enough to not have a stun gun or knife used against me. </p>
<p>and please PLEASE before anyone accuses me, I am honestly not pulling your leg. </p>
<p>A rack of guns?? Nah, I don’t feel like supplying the local criminal element with guns at my personal expense. I can understand bringing one weapon to college for self-defense (though I don’t really think that that’s always allowed when you’re living on campus) but bringing multiple weapons and leaving them unattended in a public place seems like an unnecessary magnet for theft. (It’s not just a gun issue – I also wouldn’t send them to college with an expensive bicycle or Grandma’s rare brooch).</p>
<p>As far as the broader concept of self-defense, a weapon shouldn’t take the place of street smarts and common sense of course. While the common perception of violent crime is the knife-wielding lunatic slasher lurking in the bushes, don’t forget that a lot of crime is committed by people you know, people you think you can trust, people who aren’t overtly threatening. Have a gun if that makes you feel more comfortable, but remind your kids that personal safety is multifaceted. Having mace in your purse won’t keep you safe from GHB in your drink.</p>
<p>@thumper1 “I very seriously doubt that guns are allowed to be kept by any college student on any college campus for any reason.”</p>
<p><a href=“http://www.armedcampuses.org”>http://www.armedcampuses.org</a></p>
<p>Newsie…at the high school where my kids attended, if someone caught you with a Swiss army knife in your backpack, locker or on your person, you would be immediately suspended.</p>
<p>@thumper1 </p>
<p>I am currently looking up which college campuses allow guns or knives.</p>
<p>So far this all I have found</p>
<p><a href=“http://www.journalgazette.net/opinion/editorials/New-effort-for-guns-on-college-campuses-4078524”>http://www.journalgazette.net/opinion/editorials/New-effort-for-guns-on-college-campuses-4078524</a></p>
<p>"Rep. Heath VanNatter, R-Kokomo, said he plans to co-author a bill that would allow students to carry firearms. "</p>
<p>“Seven states – Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah and Wisconsin – allow concealed-carry guns on public campuses. Arkansas passed a law in 2013 allowing faculty to carry weapons, but every two- and four-year institution has exercised its authority to opt out.”</p>
<p>And as far as the switchblade question - <a href=“Switchblade - Wikipedia”>Switchblade - Wikipedia;
<p>Look at above colored coded map in post 28 - easier. Believe that is as of 2013. If you click on the state it lists the colleges that allow them in the red states.</p>
<p>No. I wouldn’t even think of my kids needing these items for protection on campus. I’m totally not into guns/weapons. I worry about accidents with weapons or weapons being turned on the owner more than I worry about crime.
Our city allows open carry. I’ve never noticed anyone carrying a gun–except cops. (There are “no guns” signs on many public buildings.)</p>
<p>Our D carried mace when she lived off campus one summer. She is currently a medical resident and leaves work at odd hours. She is carrying it again. I would not encourage her to carry a weapon, but I think mace is a good idea for her.</p>
<p>Agree, think all women should have mace or pepper spray on their keychains or at least in their purse.</p>
<p>
Guns/shooting are not intrinsically redneck. Lol, u think LLBean & Orvis are redneck? Connecticut was(is?) a firearms manufacturing center.</p>
<p>I know PLENTY of east coast preppies that hunt, including GMTsons, but of course they don’t bring their rifles to school. </p>
<p>I could see going hunting, but having the guns locked in a safe place on the campus. I believe there was a thread about one of the Maine schools (Bates or Colby?) where there was somewhat of a hunting tradition.</p>
<p>I know for sure S’s school has the no-guns signs on all the dorms. It was appalling to me when those signs first appeared in public places in this state, because it was like - seriously, what sort of bubba was carrying around a gun to Starbucks or the grocery store or the park district in the first place? </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>No, but carrying around your rifle/guns with you in the bed of your truck or in your dorm room are. </p>
<p>I know a LOT of people that hunt. None of them are dumb enough to bring a gun to campus. </p>
<p>Pepper spray, fine. Having a trained dog in an off-campus apt, fine. Having a gun while going to school, not fine. </p>
<p>(If I had a D living in an off-campus apt, a good watch dog (not something dangerous to innocent people), would be mandatory.)</p>