Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - new book about Chinese parenting

<p>Bay - I am sure you are doing something you like now, but I would imagine you are putting a lot of effort into it also.</p>

<p>Yes, there are more “matured immigrant network” now (but not 20+ years ago). I was mentored by a senior Chinese salesperson when I first started out. Last year, he asked me to give his son an internship, which I did. Because maturing of Asian community, as they become more secured about their place in the US, they will also start to blend into the American way, and that’s what many older Asian generations are afraid of. They are afraid the younger generation would lose the immigrants’ work ethics (remember our founding fathers), look for easier way and become soft. I guess that’s a different topic.</p>

<p>skrlvr,</p>

<p>Loved your anecdote. Those are the type of people who end up happy, successful and rich!</p>

<p>skrivr - my brother owned paper route when he was in high school in NJ. He was told to charge people the same price as they would pay at a newspaper stand. Even at such a young age, he knew those people were getting extra service (not having to get up in the morning to buy the paper), so he notified all of his customers that he would be charging them extra for the service. Some complained, but he told them that he would guarantee time delivery and the paper would be at their front door instead of at the end of their driveway, and if they didn’t like it they could discontinue the service. His business grew because of his service and he had most of train/bus paper machines around our town. When he went off to college, he didn’t turn over his route, he sold it to someone. He trained the next person to keep up with the same level of service to the customers.</p>

<p>My brother went on to get his MBA to get him to the next level, he loves what he is doing and he is happy.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Maybe he’s a born salesman! I’m the daughter of someone who came from a tough, hardscrabble neighborhood, dropped out of hs, had no one to encourage him academically … and yet could sell ice to the Eskimos. That life skill took him to wealth and experiences and success that plenty of people with 4.0 GPA’s / 2400 SAT’s / diplomas from top colleges don’t get. Oldfort, when you say “all they [immigrants] have are their stats …” … that isn’t what people are looking for in the real world. They want people who understand them, who solve their problems, who provide creative, unique or thorough solutions. Whether said person had a 4.0 or a 3.9, a 2400 or a 2300, becomes irrelevant after the college application process is over. I went to a “better” university and had “better” academic scores (tests, GPA, etc.) than my business partner (who owns the company). But she has creativity and insight and vision in our field that I only hope to have!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Exactly. OPTIONS. “You vill be a piano virtuoso / violin virtuoso or else I will insult you” isn’t giving someone an option. </p>

<p>I re-read the book last night. There are numerous examples where Chua self-describes herself as “vicious” in the words she uses with her kids, to make them perform. And her epiphany takes up a whopping 2 pages in the book, in the coda. </p>

<p>She never questions why, if the goal is to get to Carnegie Hall, why <em>she</em> doesn’t practice herself / take up piano or violin. Elsewhere, she talks about having them learn Mandarin but her Mandarin accent is poor. I think it’s a fair question. What should I push my kids to do that I"m not willing to do myself?</p>

<p>Lulu and Sophia were born into a “perfect” environment - with extremely highly educated and accomplished parents who loved and cared about them and had a high income and good looks. Those girls would most likely have accomplished some amazing things if left to their own devices. Its too bad they didn’t get to figure them out and pursue them on their own. Maybe that is what Chua really wanted - that her daughters be eternally indebted to her for whatever they attain.</p>

<p>I have moved beyond Chua…</p>

<p>Someone as a legacy and from a big donor could get into top 20s with below 2100 SAT (lets think below 2000). Someone without any hook, would need 2200+ to be a credible applicant, this is before adcom would even bother with “if he/she could think on their own, what kind of ECs or volunteer work” the kid has done.</p>

<p>I beg to differ about stats is not what the people in the real world look at. Unless someone has some connection, I won’t look at any applicant for first job with a certain GPA. I may even go as far as from the right school, because instead of recruiting at thousands of schools out there, I depend on those schools to weed out candidates for me. Another thing I would like to point out, just because someone has 4.0 and 2400 it doesn’t mean the person is not a creative thinker or has well rounded personality.</p>

<p>For every anecdotal story of how someone has done well without the “right education” or background, I could name 10 or 100 more of similar stories of people who have done well with the “right education.”</p>

<p>My brother probably could have done ok even if he didn’t go to college or get his MBA at one of those well known business schools, because I am sure he would have thought of ways to do similar kind of business as his paper route. The point here is with additional knowledge and be taught by the best people in the business, he was able to do more with what he’s got.</p>

<p>There is raw talent, but without training and hard work, it’s not going to reach it’s highest potential. </p>

<p>Ok, I am finished with this thread. I have enjoyed my discussion with many of you. Even though I don’t agree with some people’s point of view, I still do respect them. I am off to an out door brunch at a court yard. It’s currently 75 and sunny here. :)</p>

<p>@oldfort1440, yes, it’s quite competitive to become a professor. In the sciences, it is a demanding job. Short hours? You are joking. Short hours actually lecturing, but very long hours doing the work. Sabbaticals are spent working, just (usually) not teaching. </p>

<p>But the point is, it’s not cut throat, which was your claim about professions requiring excellence.</p>

<p>starbright, among others, seems to have a different kind of professorship, that seems to be less work than many. I don’t think starbright is a scientist. For that matter, Amy Chua seemed to have a professorship that involved quite a lot less work than professorships in the sciences, given the amount of time she spent directing her daughters.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, but there are MORE JOBS OUT THERE than I-BANKING / FINANCE. Again, this keeps coming back around to “but the i-banks / finance jobs only look at the top x schools and only look at GPAs over such-and-such!” Yes, again, so what? They are only paths Q and R. That’s all they are. Nothing more. No more or less important than any other path. Why is there so much obliviousness to the existence of other paths? This is America. People who work hard do well. In a multitude of different areas. This isn’t China, where there are only a handful of paths to economic success and for which the right ticket must be punched.</p>

<p>You know I agree that the important concept here is “options” and “choice”. I think Chua believes that by limiting her daughters ability to make choices for themselves early on, she is giving them more, better options for the future. Not just because they may be able to get into a top college, or have the option of a career as a professional musician, but because they will come out of childhood with enormous self-discipline and work ethic, so that even if they choose to pursue something totally new, they will be able to apply themselves to almost anything and end up mastering it. I really do think her goals were broader than just having soloist or Ivy League daughters. These girls will in fact have many options for success as they are excellent students and have acquired great mental stamina through practice. These qualities are not the only path to success, but it IS one path, and probably a more secure path than if you just depend on your kid’s great personality, perceived creativity and luck. </p>

<p>Child psychologist Silvia Rimm talked about the “V” of parenting. She believes in keeping tight control of children when they are younger and gradually giving them more freedom as they grow. Sounds logical, right? Well, she argues that a lot of parents without realizing it give their children lots of freedom and passes when they are young because they don’t see their choices then as important–then when they try to impose their will when the kid reaches the teen years and starts getting out of control, they can’t because the kids are not used to having their parents put such restrictions on their behavior.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There are many gifted kids out there with loving families and lots of advantages that don’t realize their potential and are not happy in life. The basis for all “success” is self-esteem–too bad its become a dirty word with a misguided child-rearing movement. Self-esteem comes from effort and genuine accomplishment. You can be in the best family in the world and not acquire it.</p>

<p>No one is against self-esteem coming from genuine accomplishment versus mommy-tells-you-everything-you-do-is-golden. However, motivating the girls to genuine accomplishment didn’t need to be done in the over-the-top, nasty fashion. And genuine accomplishment doesn’t necessarily mean or equal being #1 (or playing at Carnegie Hall, or whatever EC equivalent). Genuine accomplishment can be in much smaller things. For example, my S tutors learning-disabled students in another language. He has “accomplished” a lot – even though he’ll never win a prize for it. Moreover, he came to this activity of his own accord – which is a HELL of a lot more meaningful than if I had pushed him into it.</p>

<p>Pizzagirl has made the point several times that Chua’s “epiphany” that she made mistakes is very limited. This is apparent, if you look at the video on
[url=&lt;a href=“http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41005969/ns/today-books/]?Tiger”&gt;http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41005969/ns/today-books/]?Tiger</a> mother? explains her strict parenting - Books - familyhealth - TODAYshow.com<a href=“an%20introductory%20piece%20followed%20by%20an%20interview%20with%20Meredith%20Viera”>/url</a>.
Chua says, “If I had to do it all over again, I think I would basically do the same thing, with small adjustments.” This comment is made at about 2 minutes and 30 seconds into the video. I think her position is pretty clear, despite the back-pedaling.</p>

<p>Also, someone remarked earlier that the title of the book in the Chinese edition is much more like a “How To” than the American title. Can anyone confirm or refute that?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Really? You look at applicant’s academic stats? What a shocker.</p>

<p>Come on, you’ve just written dozens of posts about how much you value these things, this is hardly surprising.</p>

<p>But not every company, or every interviewer is like you. I’m sure GPA mattered at the beginning of my career, but I am also certain nobody ever asked me about my SAT score. I wish they had - it was far better than the college GPA that went along with it. After a few years in the work force, nobody cared one bit about any of this.</p>

<p>Where I curently work we look at neither. I’m not sure that’s the best policy for entry level hiring, but we do give an actual technical test to our entry level engineering applicants. Not a particularly difficult test - a test similar in difficulty to the FE exam some engineers take. Surprisingly (at least to me), the alma mater of the applicant is less predictive of how well they do on the test than you might expect.</p>

<p>Oldfort-
I noted in my post about the IB world about information security, that leads to things like the need for firewalls between departments and the like. However, I can also tell you, from my wife’s own experience and from my own time working in an investment bank, that the bankers also have to worry about the other bankers, and I have heard that from people who work at other banks who handle things like the security on laptops and IT systems. Obviously, with deals going down, keeping it quiet is critical, including from other branches of the same company, and often deals have been leaked because of what is in the garbage…that said, bankers also view each others as competitors from what I saw, and they would be only too glad to steal information from another banker to score a coup…it could be your experience is different, I don’t know, but my information comes from a number of the top banks. </p>

<p>I think also you misplace what the idea of competition is, or the nature of it. If someone’s goal is to rise up the ranks, they can do it one of two ways. They can either work their tail off, collaborate with other people as needed, build networks of support, and otherwise excel in their job, and move up because they show talent and also have the respect of other people, both below and above them. Their goal is to rise, maybe even make CEO or whatever, and there is nothing wrong with that, if they work towards it. </p>

<p>Then there are those that everyone has met and seen, who far too often do rise, and they are the ones that are poison. They are what we call “the takers”, those who see everyone else as an enemy to be squashed, who rather then working as a team player (I know,a misused term), someone looking out for the company to succeed or his/her division to succeed, is looking out only for themselves to be #1, which is frankly the Chua methodology. When someone is primarily out for me, which is what we are talking about, they often do things that are contra to the good interests of the company, but they believe will move them up. Things like stealing subordinates ideas and passing them off as their own (think the Sigourney Weaver character in “Working Girl”, which is not an unknown phenomena). It is also people like this that end up taking down a company, that through their own inflated sense of self worth or the need to be #1 (want a classic example? Mike Miliken built Drexel Burnham into a powerhouse,the guy was making 500 million a year,legitimately, but because his goal was to be #1 i.e make even more money, he got tied up in the insider trading scandal of the late 80’s and ended up in jail, and DB went under)…Bernie Madoff is a pretty good example of what happens as well, he is a case study of someone who apparently grew up/learned the idea that everything was about being #1, part of the problem being that what are you willing to do to get there? How would an academic be viewed if they were granted tenure and then because they were obsessed with being #1, stole the work of another person or grad student and claimed it as their own, or plagiarized some of their papers and such? </p>

<p>Obviously, there is competition, and as you ‘move up the ladder’, through the ranks it becomes harder and harder and yes there is competition. My son is a serious music student, probably on the most competitive instrument there is, and as a profession it is a competition of incredible proportions, when you try out for a slot in an orchestra there can be 150 other people trying out, for example, and if you want to be a soloist the odds are literally a million to 1…but what any person in music will tell you, you get there by improving yourself, on making yourself the best that you can be, find teachers that work for you and work hard, that you can’t change others, you have to work on yourself to be your best and let the chips fall where they may. You strive for the best, but treating everyone else basically as an enemy is not a good way to do it. Among other things, people who go by that "#1 is everything’ mentality are like the bad corporate citizen, they get a bad reputation early on and it hurts them. </p>

<p>In music, I see the kids who were raised by parents like Chua, and the ones who intend to go into music (as opposed to the many using it on their path to #1 in whatever), and they have big problems. They have been conditioned by their parents that being #1 is everything, and because their parents don’t know squat about music, these kids believe that winning competitions and being a soloist is "the only thing’, that anything else is “lesser”, “not worth it”, etc. The problem? Music is a collaborative and artistic form, and for many going into it it is a passion, and they are happy simply to be in music, to be able to do it. Most music is done in an ensemble, whether it be orchestra or chamber, and the real #1 is making it into something and being part of it, working musicians do everything they can to make it, but they also collaborate. </p>

<p>The kids raised “#1” and think that means treating everyone else as the enemy get a bad reputation fast, and when they get out of music school they run into trouble. Even if talented and musical enough to be soloists, their attitude is so bad that the orchestras they would play with don’t want to be around them, and if going for gigs or trying to get into orchestras and chamber, their attitude that this is a let down from “#1”, and in the end they fail.</p>

<p>As far as this being a path immigrants feel their kids can achieve in, of course, and it is nothing new. Jews in their time knew that to achieve, they had to be better then anyone else, same for people in other groups, and yes, doing well in school and such is a path that achieves that success, there is no doubt about it. However, the problem with the ‘immigrant view’ (which if kind of funny in Chua’s case, since from what I can tell she was born and raised here, and her husband is native), is it is often one that doesn’t pick up the realities. For example, in the workplace a lot more then academic success gets you to the top, you should know that. If a kid is brought up as Chua has, where everything is about purpose, how do you relate to other people? In upper level management, a lot of the success on the job is based on people skills, you can come in and give a presentation in a roadshow on a potential M and A deal, have all the powerpoint slides in the world, all the projections and analyses and so forth, but often those deals are made by social networking and going out to dinner or in many cases, a strip bar, over drinks. How adept is a kid so narrowly focused as Chuas going to do there? While that is an extreme example, that kind of skillset is critical in any kind of business, these come down to human interactions, all the numbers from a spreadsheet are only the beginning.</p>

<p>In music it is interesting.Many of the students today in classical music are Asian, either kids of immigrant parents or from ‘the old country’. One of the problems those kids are having is that they and their parents don’t fully understand the nature of music. First of all, classical music is a western form and none of the Asian countries own music is anywhere similar to it, and that is a struggle (for example, knowing the difference between playing Haydn or Beethoven stylistically), especially since their instruction often is about the technical mastery because they and their teachers don’t feel comfortable with the musical side of it. Many of these kids, here in the US and overseas, believe that there is this magical formula, that if you get into a high level conservatory, win all these competitions, you become a great musician, and it doesn’t work like that. In effect, they are translating the academic model (get great grades, get into great college, do well there, you get a great job) into music, where there is even more outside the basic ‘do well’ needed to succeed. The narrow focus here, like with Chua and her type, does lead to a certain kind of success, but it often doesn’t translate into the big picture. </p>

<p>My point about your focus on success being narrow reflects the fact that you defined success as being getting a high paid position as an IB, consultant or working for a high price law firm, and obviously that is a measure of success, but it isn’t the only one. What if instead of becoming a front line doctor, for example, a kid wanted to go into research, which isn’t nearly as lucrative as being an MD. What if a kid becomes a doctor, but wants to work for doctors without frontiers or in a clinic someplace, rather then being a plastic surgeon in beverly hills? What if a kid, rather then being an IB, wants to be a musician or poet, even if you don’t make a lot of money at it? If we applied your idea of success as being the only real one, there wouldn’t be any musicians or composers, since very few of them make the big bucks, same with people working at non profits, teaching, and so forth.</p>

<p>Yes, if you want to work for a top consulting firm, if you want to work for a white shoe law firm, or a top IB firm as a banker, you need the kind of creds you are talking about. But there are other paths, in trading you don’t need to be a 4.0 from an ivy league school, there are tons of successful lawyers who went to second tier schools, there are plenty of judges and politicians who didn’t go to HYP, and so forth. There are heads of big companies who never got a harvard MBA or the equivalent, so even in the money ranks that path isn’t the only one. </p>

<p>I don’t think anyone is questioning Chua’s motives, most parents, in part or full, care and love their kids and want to do the best by them,but it doesn’t mean they are necessarily doing the right thing or is a method guaranteed for a broad measure of success. Beethoven’s father was a controlling SOB, as was Mozart’s father, and frankly both of them achieved their success when they broke from the grasp of the controlling parent, not when they were in the clutches (just using an example). What is disconcerting about Chua is she is not an immigrant, as I pointed out, she is someone I assume is fully aware of American society yet maintained the viewpoint, often clouded, of immigrants trying to adapt to a different culture then the one they grew up in. She knows well that unlike China or Japan or Korea, in most circumstances where you went to school doesn’t have the influence here that it did back home, that in most professions, especially after you are out there, where you went to college becomes an afterthought, it is what you do, and that is quite different then in Asian countries for example, where the first thing hiring managers still do is look where you went to college (I have run into that here, with managers who looking at a resume were like “I want only people from top 10 schools”, they generally got a mouthful from HR and other managers, because with experienced positions that college means bupkus to most people, plus they tended to hire people based on what college they went to and hired some real schmucks).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>As a liberal arts major (econ and math), I got into a program that is a premier training program for my particular field and made the highest non-engineer salary my graduating year. I did have a great college GPA (3.82) in an honors program and all the associated honors, but the one person who saw it was the person who interviewed on campus – no one else ever saw it. The last time my SAT score was important was when I was a hs senior. I don’t know what professions there are where anyone cares about this beyond potentially screening for interviews. I did have a boss who used to grill people for what their GMAT scores were (a bunch of us, myself included, were applying to grad school at the time). He was seen as a boorish, tacky lout for inquiring / caring. It’s all about job performance.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Indeed, Chua’s book describes how she feels like such a loser because Lulu is “only” defeating the person who is #10,000 on the Connecticut tennis circuit. Nowhere does Chua EVER think about why she conflates excellence with beating others. Nowhere. That’s why she is so non-introspective and the book falls so flat. She is an intelligent person; she could do better than that on examining why she conflates excellence and work-ethic-developing with being #1. She just sort of accepts it as “that’s the way it is.” She doesn’t even show any introspection as to why her husband, raised completely differently, has likewise achieved professional success similar to hers.</p>

<p>“For all her faults, if Chua produced kids that won’t succumb to eating disorders, depression, self-destructive or anti-social behavior”</p>

<p>Didn’t read the book, but how do we know THAT?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I wouldn’t mind going back to this quote either, especially with Shrinkwrap here.</p>

<p>The absence of these characteristics does not indicate good parenting any more than their presence indicates bad parenting. I’ve had a life long battle with depression and it certainly isn’t my mother’s fault. It’s genetic, it runs on my side of the family. I’ve know too many people with eating disorders and I also don’t consider it to be a result of their parenting, I would say it is more likely to stem from the societal pressure for girls to be thin. In any event the origins of the eating disorders and depression at least are complex.</p>

<p>As for the absence of these problems, that doesn’t indicate good parents necessarily. As has been said before on this thread some kids survive and overcome very challenging childhoods without problems like this being their legacy.</p>

<p>Even if you do agree that these problems and the quality of parenting go hand in hand, as Bay said earlier, why on earth would the standards to demonstrate that someone is a good mother be set so low? Why is the bar set so low for Amy Chua when she sets the bar so high for her daughters?</p>

<p>"For all her faults, if Chua produced kids that won’t succumb to eating disorders, depression, self-destructive or anti-social behavior and who will contribute positively to society, I’d say she did a fine job. "</p>

<p>…just noticed the IF…sorry.</p>

<p>I have to admit, I sort of feel the same way. I have spent the last 20 years of my career with a lot of miserable people, and when it was true, was grateful my kids didn’t do self-destructive things, or wish they were dead.</p>

<p>I sure don’t have any answers, other than I thank God I am not raising my kids alone, as my husband and I come from different sides of this argument, but we have been able to compromise. He thinks I set the bar too low. I don’t remember needing “bars” growing up.</p>

<p>One thing I have thought about while reading this is, how my mother trucked me all around NYC to try EVERYTHING, even though I was pretty inadequately prepared. Swim teams, youth orchestras, ballet troops, you name it. Not sure why. I don’t believe she did this with my siblings. I was probably the most compliant. Maybe this has something to do with whether or not one needs “bars”. Oh well. After each adventure, we went to the BEST restaurants! I still remember the try out at Carnegie Hall, followed by The Russian Tea Room.</p>

<p>To quote myself:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I chose those examples because they are all measures of self-esteem. Maybe I could have added being basically satisfied with their life or being good people, but I thought that was implied in what I wrote. I don´t know why Bay and Pea consider this a low bar…what would your standards be for successful parenting? Do you want to measure it with financial success or their profession? </p>

<p>And Pea, while I know some cases of depression are genetically related, I still believe many, many are intertwined with one’s self-esteem. Self-esteem simply means that you have a realistic knowledge or yourself, and you feel like an overall good and competent person. This is not to be confused with narcissism, which is really another manifestation of insecurity. And I do think parents have a lot to do with developing basic self-esteem in their kids, not by over-protecting or over-praising them, but by showing them they can accomplish things through effort. Parents also need recognize and call kids on their faults and mistakes, while showing they still believe in and love them.</p>

<p>Do some kids develop healthy self-esteem in spite of their parents? Sure. And some have troubled lives even when parents do all the right things. But I think for the vast majority, a good self-concept will be nurtured with good parenting.</p>