Best college or university in Illinois based on my portfolio? [3.3 UW GPA, 28 ACT, IL resident]

Sorry - i’ll rephrase - I meant, that is a list of all the ABET accredited schools.

The yes/no was - do I think you’ll get in.

I went and updated. Thanks

That’s what I thought you possibly meant, but you originally wrote “yes” for Northwestern. Thanks for clearing it up-it definitely wasn’t clear what you were trying to say.

1 Like

why do you assume that is UW? MANY colleges publish WGPAs and don’t say so. I wouldn’t assume a 30 ACT aligns with a 3.98 UW honestly. Rigor for major will play a big role too for there IMO.

2 Likes

In the CDS, which is a few years old, 37% a 4.0+. Tests are low.

It’s clearly weighted. Some schools simply take the highest GPA on the transcript.

Even Harvard likely doesn’t have a 3.98 UW.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right! I took a quick glance at the profile & incorrectly assumed UW 4.0 GPA scale, although it does vaguely mention setting a new benchmark. I would still be hesitant to classify this one as a safety or very likely, but still in between UIC & UIUC for chance me/match me.

Your parents are strict but they won’t let you go to college in a neighboring state like Wisconsin or Indiana, which are typically more conservative, depending on the exact location. Purdue University-West Lafayette is another option to consider as a full-pay applicant, if your parents are concerned about paying for prestige. Washington University in St. Louis is another school located a stone’s throw away from Illinois.

But a 3.3/3.4 UW and 28 has near zero chance of Purdue or Wash U - they really are more a directional (Southern, Western) or Bradley or IIT or Wisconsin Milwaukee or Milwaukee Engineering profile.

But that’s why I noted Purdue Northwest - you get a Purdue degree (not sure if it has the same “labeling” as the W Lafayette campus), in the Chicago metro area.

2 Likes

Purdue & Wash U are both need-blind for domestic applicants. They still could be worth a shot, if parents allow amia_09 to cross the IL border.

Need blind is irrelevant in this particular case.

4 Likes

Purdue is a public university and gives little to no need based aid to out of state residents, regardless of parent income. They focus on making college affordable for their own Indiana tax payers. And, this student’s profile is well below the average for a CS or engineering major.

3 Likes

OP updated the budget to >$200K in a later post.

Yes, it does appear to be bottom-quarter.

I think every public college is need blind - but few provide need aid to out of state and only two claim to meet need (UVA/UNC). Of course, many offer merit. So in their case, need blind is simply saying - we don’t care about your finances in making an admission decision. I’m sure lots of kids get into public schools, especially OOS and just say no when faced with the bill.

OP can answer but it sounds like when they say out of state, they might mean, not out of the Chicago metro.

Illinois is a big state.

1 Like

That may be true but still makes me wonder because public colleges rely so heavily on state & local funding; admissions also set OOS enrollment targets each cycle. It makes sense for them to prefer to admit qualified full-pay OOS applicants. Bottom 5% or 10% stats-wise are still qualified.

1 Like

Most state schools, including Purdue give a major bump to their instate applicants so it’s more competitive for OOS applicants. The stats for admitted students aren’t broken out by location but IME, the OOS applicants that I know that land at Purdue for engineering or CS were at the top of their class. The bottom 5-10% stats are likely instate applicants for underperforming schools. Purdue takes its instate, land grant mission very seriously. Same with UW Madison.

2 Likes

I think that’s the parent income (start in OP). We have no idea what the budget is, hopefully OP will answer.

3 Likes

At least we know that many schools they would qualify for - directionals/Illinois publics/privates, even the Wisconsin/Indiana close schools - will be reasonable vs. most definitions of pricey. That’s a good thing.

budget is not an issue bc we have savings, Its a must that I stay in IL, I have no other choice, I think aiming for UIC or IIT r my best bets for a better college or doing a pathway to uiuc

Agree. Would you live at home if you attended UIC or Illinois Tech? (that’s what IIT is called now) You might look at Illinois State and Northern too. Have you visited any campuses?

Does Illinois include the entire state ? Those two are great schools. But you have accredited programs at well respected Bradley and SIU too.

But they are farther from Chicago than some of the out of state ones. Do your parents understand that ? Maybe you can plot that on a map for them. Purdue NW is just outside Chicago and several universities are in Milwaukee, Much closer than some Illinois schools.

Nothing wrong with UIC and IIT though.

niu is a party school though, its not gonna be good on good job applications no?

shld be near chicago ideally, unless something wayyy better than UIC n IIT r out there