Big News From Harry and Meghan - Royal Family Stepping Back

should have been Diana Elizabeth

4 Likes

I am actually glad they did not pick Diana as the first name. But , again, none of my business!

2 Likes

Meghan is actually her middle name. Maybe they are planning to call the child Diana?

1 Like

I assume that since they specifically listed “Lili” in the announcement, that is what they are calling her.

Remember also, Harry is a nickname; his given name is Henry.

5 Likes

It seems to me (and my royalist friends) that by picking Lilibet they are desperately trying to get back into the Queen’s good graces again. I am not a fan. I am not surprised, but definitely not a fan.

4 Likes

Dayum, people. Let’s just nitpick everything about this couple.

23 Likes

I support parents naming their kids anything they want and think Lili Diana is lovely. The confusion for me comes in a little bit with the first name, Lilibet. Harry and Meghan have been quite vocal lately about “the Firm”, perceived lack of support from the family, potential racism, parenting shortcomings,etc. They have picked a very personal name associated with the royal family. Just a little surprising given the issues they seem to have with the royal family. Very glad all is well though with them and the new baby!

3 Likes

Harry is close to his grandmother, but not to the “monarchy”. Maybe this non traditional name is a way of addressing both.

6 Likes

Not crazy about the name but that is not important – I just hope they Harry and Meghan a step back from public life, interviews etc. and enjoy some peace and quiet as a family.

Y’all might not be fans of the name choice, but apparently it was approved by Lili’s great-grandmother ahead of time

4 Likes

Of course she did. That said, it’s supposedly a rubber-stamp when one is not close in the line of succession.

Archie and Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor are perfectly fine names. King Archie or Queen Lilibet, though, would have Queen Victoria spinning in her grave. :grin:

8 Likes

I totally agree @Youdon_tsay.it seems no matter what they do they get criticized. I was thrilled they had their baby at Cottage Hospital versus Cedar Sinai. Cottage is where my kids were born and it’s a typical hospital with no suite for special clients. Cedars would have given them a private luxury experience. Many of my friends are curious who her OBGYN was. I think it shows they want to be part of the community.

11 Likes

It’s the idea that the names are a negative. Why can’t it be an homage, a lovely gesture, an olive branch even?

9 Likes

It can be…it’s just tough to reconcile their public family bashing with homage/peace offerings (except wrt to Diana) to the Queen, so to some it appears disingenuous or manipulative.

As far as naming comments that’s a pastime that goes way back as far as celebrities (and ordinary folk) are concerned. I still remember discussing Moon Unit Zappa and Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter Apple. Just goes with the territory for the famous.

2 Likes

If I had a grandchild who wanted to name their child after me, whether they used my given name, my nickname, a variation of my name, my maiden name, or whatever, I’d be honored. I know a lot of couples who have used variations of a name because they want a name that is contemporary, but they still want to honor someone special. I think Lilibet Diana is great name.

Interesting fact, The Bump home for baby names says, Lilibet is a girl’s name related to the Hebrew name Elizabeth and the English names Libby and Lilibeth. The meaning of Lillibet is “God’s promise”. Another baby naming site says it’s a blend of Lily (the flower, innocence, purity, beauty) and Elizabeth (My God is bountiful, God of plenty).

8 Likes

The couple was likely doomed no matter what on the naming. Name her related to the family? Critical backlash. Name her nothing to do with the family and her heritage abroad? Critical backlash.

The baby deserves a fresh beginning without judgement.

11 Likes

They are far enough down the line to the throne that that is really a non-issue.

Which is a way of rephrasing my first paragraph. :grin:

1 Like

Charlotte is Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. Now Lilibet Diana , so both brothers have picked Diana and Elizabeth (or a variation).

So there is no grave spinning :wink: