Cars that you have purchased and have been really happy with.

" Hubby wants to use my ESPP money for a Tesla. ROFLMAO."

That’s one hefty ESPP. :slight_smile: Mr. basically decided against the X. The fancy wings would instantly signal that the owner paid $100+ K for a car. He is concerned that it could trigger some rumors that Mr.'s recent “promotion” paid for it. In fact, the “promotion” only added more managerial headaches and zero $ to his compensation. Lol. Model 3, here we come! But I want one of my own. :slight_smile:

Lexus brand. H is into cars- especially was years ago so I got used to reading his Car and Driver magazine (now there’s the internet). Finally got him to indulge in the Lexus LS-400he’d been thinking about for many months, back in '91. Kept it when we had other cars and he finally got rid of it after 17? years or so. I liked it for many years but newer models have better features and seats that weren’t worn…

He has owned other luxury brands . The Audi had 5 gears/speeds (can’t remember) such that it seemed to have trouble finding the correct one. The MB SUV had a door water retention problem plus others. I never liked the Acura- too low and I “inherited” it when he got a new car one time. We got a Sable (cf Taurus) station wagon but then its engine became a lemon and I got away from going with American cars. Got a Volvo 850 wagon, not thrilled with it (after my model they changed things so a dash light bulb could be changed without an expensive removing of so much).

My first car was bought off the lot at the end of the season (August- remember when new cars came out only in October?). Needed it for medical school hospitals. It was a red Ford Maverick with black vinyl seats (horrible in hot weather), an AM only radio and, of course, no air conditioning. My mom got the car loan, title et al- $3000 total. I suspect it would have had fewer problems if I knew to get regular oil changes. My next car was a Buick Century when I had the luxury of choosing a car I liked and not the one on the lot parents felt was safe and cheapest. My parents either used my Dad’s sometime awful company car or a generic Ford (no name ones).

Sister-in-law had a Lexus RX300 but- I got the RX330 when it first came out- wagons were less available by then. Loved it a lot, more comfortable than the 300. Nice ride plus storage capacity. Did have problems with the key getting stuck and unable to turn it or remove it a few times.

H had gone to a Lexus ES330 and made the decision to get some repairs done recently instead of buying a new car- it is almost 10 years old. He did not like the much higher price of the newer LS series, rear wheel drive and larger size- no longer needed to transport as many people. Not driven as many miles in recent years with retirement and it was supplanted as the best car by my ES 330 when we were no longer doing the haul and carry college transports. I intend to keep this car for the foreseeable future- only 5 years old by now. Would consider the Prius but like the luxury elements. I did my “due diligence” and seriously considered other brands when I chose my most recent car. Remember when rich enough people traded in cars every two years, now those of us who can afford to do so keep a good car as many years as we can.

I also HATE the new grills- ugly as mentioned. My Sable was before the sneering front of the Taurus. I think they are trying to be more macho.

Sister has gone with Hondas for years now. Son needed a car for his first job and chose a Honda Civic. It sits in his apartment garage most of the time- walks to work.

Hopefully I will like what cars are in fashion years from now when I am wanting/needing a change.

Honda and Toyotas. I haven’t owned a Honda for over 10 years and heard their recent reliability has gone down. Currently have two Toyotas (one Scion xB and Toyota RAV4) and used to have a Corolla. The xB has 130k miles and still in excellent shape. The Corolla too was bullet proof. RAV4 is new so we’ll see. I do know not to buy a car in its first model year after a redesign. I give the manufacturers at least a year to work out any bugs that might have gotten past them in the design.

Unfortunately, that’s the bad part. The maintenance tends to be expensive.

@raclut - I read your other post and totally agree. I would LOVE to live somewhere within walking distance of essentials and good public transportation and really not need a car.

Hondas but they seem to have an AC problem after 100K miles. DH and I currently have Subarus: Outback and Crosstek. So far so good. Crosstek is a spunky little thing and good for finding parking in the city.

I have an Outback and my D and S’s fiancé both drive Crossteks. We love our Subaru’s.

My husband loves Hondas! He is driving a Pilot, not my favorite to drive as I cannot get comfortable. The interior has also not held up well.
I drive a 2006 Civic, nice car, gets me to where I want to go. Last year, it stated leaking coolant, engine block had cracked. Thankfully, Honda replaced the engine for free. That was nice!
My favorite car is my GMC Yukon XL. I love it! It is 15 years old. It is great for traveling, moving the kids into college, and for swim team carpools! Transmission had to be replaced at 100,000 miles…that wasn’t so nice.
My next car will probably be a Subaru Outback.

Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue

Love love love my Volvo XC90. It will be 10 years old this summer. My husband occasionally asks if I want to look at new cars and I always refuse. I plan to drive this car forever.

Doesn’t it depend on the driving conditions? I love my Subaru Outback, but I particularly love it because it is a great car in snow and it can haul lots of stuff around. It doe not turn on a dime, is not the easiest to park (both those awards go to our Prius) and is not nearly as soundproof as I would like.

I’d be looking for a different car if i lived in Southern California.

Loved, loved, loved my Toyota Landcruiser. Best. Vehicle. Ever. :-c I recently sold it because it was getting up in years and mileage and I was ready for a new, smaller car. Bought a Volvo - so far I really like but not sure I will love another as much as my beloved Land Cruiser.

Acura, Audi, Lexus. Acuras are cheaper. We do not buy new cars, never had one.

I am not brand-loyal, I tend to look at the cars that fill the need the best. I’ll make huge spreadsheets for reliability, safety, head room (we’re all tall), fun (absolute must), etc. We will also sometimes buy used, CPO used or new depending on what works best for us.

So in the last 30 years we’ve owned:
a pontiac (caught on fire)
toyota pickup truck (loved it)
dodge grand caravan (worst vehicle ever),
mazda mpv (loved it!),
toyota corolla (good car, wicked boring),
toyota venza (blind spots were awful, super underpowered),
mercedes ML 320 CDI (girls’ SUV, it’s a tank),
mercedes e350 bluetek (diesel, DH’s car),
and Ford Flex ecoboost (mine, goes 0-60 in 5 seconds, carries 6 in total comfort and awesomeness).

MIL is loyal to Lexus and I’ve helped her buy her ES back in 08, and last year the RX. She loves her RX (she originally insisted she didn’t want an SUV, but she carries so much junk in her car that I thought the SUV would work better for her, and once she drove it it was a done deal).

FIL got the 08 Lexus-he had to give up his 15 year old Saturn and grumped about the “fancy” Lexus, lol.

@1518mom

If you like the car, can I suggest something? Call in Stanley Steemer, it isn’t expensive, and they do a great job cleaning the interior, if they don’t make it work nothing will.

Any opinions on the Ford Edge?

I’m not a really a car person, but I love my Prius!

The Ford Edge does not get great crash test results. It was knocked off my list of possible cars for the girls, for all years. @gouf78

Ford Edge has highest safety ratings from all the sites I can find.

We have had a Hyundai Acera and a Hyundai sonata.(2006) Relatives and friends have had the Santa Fe.

Very happy with all these cars. No major work on any of them. Price is always right and they add lots of extras as standard equiptment. for the cost. Highly recommend. I love the look of the 2014 Sonatas. but not the new ones as much.

I have not seen any car on the road (under $75,000) that turns my head right now. All the SUV’s and sedans are so similar looking. Blah. Its like everybody is riding around in tall station wagons. Blah again.

I always wanted a standard jeep wrangler as a younger person. I didn’t care that they rode lousy and were cold in the winter.

Now they are popular,overpriced and they still ride lousy. …and I’m too old to look cool in it.

@gouf78 looks like the new ones are ok:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2015-ford-edge-earns-nhtsa-five-star-safety-rating-1420680515963/

From the article “The previous Edge earned just three stars in front crash tests”. That was the year we were looking. It’s good that they’ve improved their safety ratings.