Chance Me Brown ED 2026 (Asian Male)

Update:
I found out that historically my school has gotten about 2 people into Brown out of generally around 18 applicants. None of these applicants were ED.
One of the people who got in last year had a very similar demographic profile to me, but I think that my profile is slightly stronger than his (better gpa, test scores, ec’s, arts supplement)
No one else that I know of at my school is applying ED to Brown.
My college counselor told me to keep the common app essay regarding Brown (but I will of course change it for other schools). To answer the question regarding whether or not I’m overestimating the significance of my time there, I could see how I could come off like that but I, as well as those around me, noticed a somewhat drastic personality shift after my time there.
I changed my video portfolio to focus more on myself rather than my time at Brown because I didn’t want to seem like I was milking Brown. The premise of the video is that I describe how my application seems like the typical “high-achieving student’s” application, but then I talk about my favorite books, my unorthodox study habits, and what kind of music I listen to. I feel like how I describe it somewhat undersells my video, but if you want to get a decent idea of what my video’s like, check out Jeremy Lin’s “How to Get Into Harvard” video (mine is not racially charged, of course).
To those suggesting I change my “Why Brown” essay into something the admissions officers don’t know, here is the prompt for that essay: “Brown’s Open Curriculum allows students to explore broadly while also diving deeply into their academic pursuits. Tell us about any academic interests that excite you, and how you might use the Open Curriculum to pursue them while also embracing topics with which you are unfamiliar. (200-250 words)”.
As for recommendations, here is where I would rank them:
Math teacher: 9/10
English teacher: 7/10
Orchestra conductor: 9/10

As for my arts supplement: to those who feel they can judge/rate my arts supplement, PM me and I can send you an MP3 of my supplements (I recorded a video but am not comfortable sharing my face)

You are a very impressive candidate with a very compelling application! Good luck and hope you have a chance to join the Brown community!! I like your chances in spite of stacked odd against all who apply😀

2 Likes

I recommended avoiding “Brown” if the essay topic is open-ended (vs here). BTW, individual Brown AO’s have from time to time gone on record as to topics/themes they find boring and/or unenlightening. Anyone who wants to can research for particulars.

I can see we’re not going to shake the “game theorist” out of you – reminds me of me.

I will simply provide a few anecdotes which some might find useful in how they go about trying to predict their chances (i.e. stop trying to predict their chances ; ) Veterans of previous years can skip what follows – I’ve related these before.

• A local powerhouse public HS had forty applicants to Brown one season, and none were admitted. Meanwhile in the same year, Brown took two people from a nondescript HS relatively out in the middle of nowhere. Siblings, as it happened, and the first applicants from that HS I know of.

• A celebrated private magnet HS usually has 13-15 applicants and averages 2-3 admits. That’s very high, since this area has a lower admit rate than Brown’s aggregate number (and yet their guidance counselor still asks me ‘what went wrong?’). But some years it’s zero.

Admissions wants whomever they happen to want, with any apparent predictability or pattern not likely to withstand statistical scrutiny. Part of the reason is because they admit individuals in the context of an entering class’s composition. Someone who’s gets the nod one year wouldn’t make the cut another year, based on the overall applicant pool. “Musicophila” is published, and suddenly every other applicant [hyperbole] wants to do Neuro or Psych… for a few years, then it’s something else. In some years there’s been a relative shortage of applicants listing an intended Engin concentration (though not recently, AFAIK); other years a surplus.

FWIW from someone who’s been at this a long time, the closest thing there is to an accurate admission prediction (other than for Recruited athletes) is “If you are a really strong candidate you probably won’t get into Brown, and if you aren’t a strong candidate you definitely probably won’t get into Brown.” It was somewhat hard to get in way back when I did (14% admit rate), but has become increasingly crazy over the last several years.

That said,

Motion seconded!

2 Likes

I’ll be rooting for you also OP! I spent a couple of years working in a lab with a Brown engineer and she was one of the kindest, smartest, loveliest human beings I have ever met. If the Brown engineering students are even remotely like her you are in for a great four years if you get in. And that is all I know about Brown. Good luck!

2 Likes

ABET accreditation specifically matters mostly in terms of PE licensing (most common in civil engineering, but could be sought by those in other engineering areas who design infrastructure used by the general public) and the patent exam. Otherwise, it is mostly a mark of meeting a fairly high minimum standard of quality of the major program. Less well known (for engineering) schools often seek it to assure students and employers that their engineering major programs are worth something.

I get the impression that WLU tries to be a pipeline to finance and consulting, rather than traditional types of engineering employment. For such placement (as opposed to working as an engineer), the full breadth and depth of curriculum as indicated by meeting ABET accreditation may not be as important.

Not based on their website

Engineering | Washington and Lee (wlu.edu)