That’s very exciting! Susquehanna has a very good reputation in my circles, and a dedicated and popular creative writing program. It definitely does not hurt that it is in a beautiful part of PA, and as I am sure you have figured out it is only around 3 hours give or take from NoVa.
Obviously shopping around is perfectly fine, but having such an affordable offer from that quality of college/fit in the desired area sets a nice high bar.
Congratulations to your son! My daughter got an excellent education at Susquehanna. She was in the honors program. She had professors who really cared about the students. Two of them became her mentors and really helped get her launched. And I loved the area, so beautiful. If you have any specific questions, let me know!
Thank you! He’s very relieved! Susquehanna has the majors he’s interested in - so huge plus! He’s looking forward to the admitted students’ day, and I think he’s looking to see if it’s a good fit for him!
@AustenNut Thank you! No worries! You’ve replied to my original post about seeking suggestions - your post was very helpful! I will share your list with him, just in case! He’s dead-set on getting the remaining apps done before the holidays so I’m not sure he’s looking to add any more! He took Oberlin off his list unfortunately when he found out that the Creative Writing major is gated. Thanks!
@NiceUnparticularMan Thank you! That is good to hear about Susquehanna! We’ve been hearing nothing but good things - except the dining food, haha! Yes, about 3 hours from NoVA. It is a huge relief for us that he’s got a very affordable option. We are very grateful!
@MaineLonghorn Thank you! I may need to DM you at some point! I’ve seen your posts about Susquehanna here. What was your daughter’s major? Was the honors program worthwhile? My son got invited to the Honors Program so we will learn more about it in about a week and a half.
My daughter started out as a photography major, then added art history when she discovered she really liked it. She enjoyed the honors program. She went to a pretty rigorous high school and liked the challenging classes and interesting discussions.
Ha, the only thing she didn’t like was the food, but I didn’t know if it had improved any the last five years!
Someone mentioned the Forbes rank. On a thread from 2024 as Forbes is locked but someone posted the scores, Susquehanna got a C, but so did Ithaca, Quinnipiac, Scranton, Fairfield, Depaul, Providence, Emerson, and more. And none are going out of business anytime soon.
I’d look more at a bond rating.
The last update was in 2023 and they were only rated by Moody’s and got a BAA1 so solidly in the investment grade. Here was the writeup linked below. While the world has changed, there hasn’t been one since.
But I wouldn’t hesitate to let my student attend.
They seem to know what they are doing.
It’s just, when you read it, the discounting is jarring, but so many have to go to that. They clearly have been careful financially overall.
Hopefully that gives you some comfort @TheMonaLisa
Thank you! that does give us some comfort. I will look to see if there’s a more up-to-date financial health report. My son wants to wait for other decisions but I’m trying to get as much info as I can and do a deeper dive as decision time gets closer - so this bit of info helps!
We’re looking to get insight on student experiences at Susquehanna from the perspective of a liberal-leaning POC. We’ve read that Susquehanna is a moderate campus in the midst of a very conservative area. @MaineLonghorn , I know your student graduated years ago but I’m wondering if you know anyone. @NiceUnparticularMan have you heard anything within your circles?
You might ask the school for an alum or two to contact that’s a POC or a current student ambassador that is. You can also follow the Black Student Union on LinkedIn.
Sending you a PM with individual names too - I know even though they are in the public domain, some shun that. Look for the green box in the upper right.
Sorry I didn’t see your post sooner! This is what I said in the thread that @ucbalumnus posted:
“I love Susquehanna. My daughter graduated in 2020 and had a fabulous education. She was a double major in art history and photography. She studied a semester in Florence.
Here’s the scoop: The campus itself is very liberal, I would say. The professors went into mourning along with the kids when Trump won. When I visited campus (which I loved to do), I saw quite a few persons of color.
The surrounding area, however, can be pretty racist. My daughter did get tired of that. She had a Black boyfriend from Selinsgrove at the school, and he told her how hard life could be.
She came home much more liberal than when she started college. She’s now involved in a lot of liberal causes. Very different politics from her father and me, but I’m proud of her compassion and dedication.
Originally, she had planned to stay in Pennsylvania, close to her boyfriend, but she decided the area was too conservative and moved back to Portland, which is very liberal.”
[Since then, D has moved to Philadelphia and is really enjoying living there.]
S26 got accepted to Muhlenberg mid-December and got enough merit to bring the COA down to $39K with no loans!
But he’s most excited about getting accepted to Kenyon a few days ago which was a pleasant surprise for us since we were not expecting a decision until March! He received their highest merit award plus grant money, bringing the (direct + indirect costs minus merit and grants) COA to $34K, no loans! He applied for their writing award and is considering applying for their KEEP Scholars also. S26 has a lot of consider now, but he still has a couple more EAs and RDs to hear from.
As we would put it in my family, you are playing with house money now, meaning you can’t lose, you are only finding out exactly which great offer he most wants to take.
More blessings. More to be grateful for! So very very grateful for my S26!! S26 got accepted to James Madison University, Virginia Tech, and University of Richmond! At UofR, he got the Presidential Scholarship (1/3 of tuition) and he’s a finalist for their Richmond Scholars Program (for full tuition, room & board!)! We got to read his essays again last night and I can’t express how proud I am of my son for embracing his true self when his friends around him are majoring in engineering, sciences, business. Now we wait for UVa, Denison, Wesleyan University, and William & Mary! Thanks for letting me share. I am just incredibly grateful!