Chance Me/Match Me-Motorsports engineering (Purdue, UNC-Charlotte) or MechE [PA resident, 3.85 GPA, 34 ACT, need merit for OOS or private]

Beyond anecdote and I’m not sure people source LinkedIn for #s but if you google Pitt + automotive engineer + linked, you find most students and a few engineers in the industry. WVU is the opposite and has engineers spanning the industry from Toyota to Honda to Volvo and more.

At both companies I’ve worked I’ve come across far more WVU than Pitt grads - anecdotal yes but I think the industry likes WVU - hence GM giving it an ecoCAR team.

But if interested and OP may not be - one can always scour school alum outcomes. .

To me, automotive engineering is not the same as motorsports engineering and has different employers. Purdue Motorsports - Purdue Motorsports

2 Likes

Also true - but it’s a “wider” field - but you’re not wrong.

But most OEMs that are in racing have teams in company - and people go back and forth from regular roles - and yet some of the engineers will work in marketing roles on those teams too.

1 Like

It’s funny how you say both of these things:

Speaking as a parent with a kid in FSAE, I’ll say it’s a great launchpad for MechE kids interested in motorsports, at any school that offers it. My kid is not a MechE, but he sees companies competing for his MechE teammates. I’ll bet the FSAE kids at Pitt are getting hired, too. At competition this year, Pitt defeated MIT, Purdue, CMU, UMich, and over 100 other teams … so they definitely have something going for them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have ABET, you are good. That is correct. I simply noted what I’ve seen as an industry professional although not engineering although I served on product planning roles for several vehicles

I noted and I’ve worked both coasts - and at companies with Motorsport teams at OEMs - WVU certainly has a place in the industry. I’m sure Pitt does - there’s many OEMs and some teams - but I’ve not seen it. And when I looked on LinkedIn, the WVU search was far greater in count.

I did not say Pitt or any school won’t work. I look past F-SAE and toward ecoCAR as well which is a more exclusive bunch.

I noted OP might check overall outcomes - if they have an interest. They might not.

I also noted WVU, with auto merit, will cost less.

I stand by what I said and noted it’s anecdotal but recommended OP search deeper if interested.

Mich State, on the list, is another I’ve seen with presence.

Some schools, for whatever reason, jive better with certain industries. It doesn’t mean the door is shut at any school to pursue their goal.

Would you be able to explain what you are searching for in Linkedin?
I had forgotten to add it to the list in my post, but WVU is on my long list.

That was my daughter’s lowest merit award, $3000 a year, but maybe they’ve increased.

I’m hoping you already applied to Pitt. Probably a safety or close to it. Plus merit is handed out early.

Not sure you need to try to improve a 34 ACT at this point. No benefit.

WVU wouldn’t be a bad safety.

Georgia Tech is a reach but could be affordable assuming you carry enough AP/DE credits. S20 graduated in 3 years. Did an internship and co-op to stretch it out. Pitt and Temple were his in-state options.

1 Like

I’m still a junior, but will apply as soon as I can in August to Pitt.

Ok. That’s good. Maybe try the ACT one more time if you want but only if you prep more. No sense wasting time if you don’t prep. A 34 is excellent.

Also look at your list like a ranking. If you really like Pitt would you pick UConn or Ohio State instead? If not, why apply.

1 Like

@OP, S24 with UW GPA 4.0, W GPA 4.3 and 1440 SAT. He applied to below schools on your list. Good Luck

Purdue (1st major Aerospace Eng, 2nd major Motorsport Eng) - accepted Motorsport Eng

Ohio State (Aerospace Eng) - accepted with $14.5K merit/year

Georgia Tech (Aerospace Eng) - rejected

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.