Chance Me / Match Me: Statistics/Biostatistics — Yale SCEA vs Brown/Duke ED? [MD resident, 4.0 GPA, 1550 SAT]

Seems to me UMD would fit this one. EA is not a binding early program.

2 Likes

Who else is on your list in the likelihood none of these three happen?

Are any privates with an EA ?

I ask because you are assuming that you will have a much better entry chance at ED. Maybe Duke. Doubtful but maybe.

I’m most concerned you don’t have a favorite and if you had a USC, U Miami, U Chicago, Case Western, Northeastern etc types as second level, you would put yourself in an unnecessary disadvantage for likely no true gain beyond the earlier response.

And you can’t even name or won’t name your favorite of the three which right there should disqualify you from wanting to ED.

For schools like these, your backups are far more important than your desired - because while we all hope you get into these three, statistically you will be 0 for 3, no matter when you apply.

And even your back ups would not be assured, especially with an RD app.

Sorry for the confusion — I take my required social studies/history courses and one foreign language (honor course but not AP) at school for four years. I also study another foreign language outside of school because my school doesn’t offer it and I really enjoy learning it. I took the AP exam for that language independently during my junior year and got a 5. I’m still studying it now and plan to continue in college just for fun.

2 Likes

What I gather is that you are definitely interested in language & literature since you’ve taken or are taking AP English Language & Literature plus study of two foreign languages, one through AP. Studying two foreign languages is a definite plus. Apparently, AP History classes just don’t appeal to you.

I don’t see this as a problem for the schools you are targeting, including Yale. Some of the other “PHYSM” schools could view this as not taking the most advanced curriculum available. I know of cases of students getting rejected to Harvard & Princeton & getting admitted to Northwestern & Rice instead for taking honors instead of AP when available & when qualified to take them. This is more typical when honors & AP classes are weighed the same (e.g. concern about protecting a class rank); not sure if this is your case with your high school’s weighting system.

Remember, your undergraduate degree will involve more than just statistics/biostatistics. The depth & breadth of humanities & social science requirements varies from college to college. You will need to inform yourself of this before finalizing your list of colleges to apply to.

Yes, it can range from 2 writing courses (Brown) to 2 humanities/arts + 2 social studies + >=1 foreign language reaching at least 3rd semester level (Yale) to 8 total courses including distribution and concentration (MIT).

2 Likes

I plan to apply EA to UNC, UT Austin, UMD, USC, UIUC, and WashU.

If I had to rank the schools I like most, it would be Stanford>Yale>Brown>Duke. I just feel that Stanford and Yale are probably out of reach for me because I don’t have any national-level awards. I think I might have a somewhat better chance at Brown.

Honestly, I’m more of a STEM person. I don’t really prefer English over history or vice versa. I mainly took APs in those subjects to challenge myself.

Junior year I was already taking 5 APs. I don’t want to risk taking 6, especially since both AP English and AP History have pretty heavy workloads. I want to leave time for my research. AP history also conflicted with another class in my schedule, so I chose AP English. It wasn’t because I liked English more or didn’t like history.

The foreign language I take at school is required. But the other language I study outside of school is something I actually really like.

1 Like

I think that it is very hard to predict where you are going to get accepted among the reach schools. These schools are looking for students who will be a good fit for them. They get it right quite often. However, it can be very difficult to predict how this is going to come out in any particular case (when considering academically very strong students).

Personally I would not worry about the lack of national-level or international awards. What is way more important is a combination of great stats, having participated in whatever ECs are right for you, doing very well in your ECs, getting along with people, and applying to schools that will be a good fit for you. The research that you have done and being co-author on a published paper for example is meaningful. I am pretty sure that the majority of incoming freshmen at Stanford and Yale do not have national level awards.

Stanford does not have ED. They have REA. However you apply (REA or RD) you are not bound to attend. With this in mind, given your excellent stats and excellent ECs, if it is your top choice, then to me it looks like it would be worth an application.

I doubt that whether you attend Stanford, Brown, Yale, Duke, UMD, or somewhere else is going to have any significant impact on your chances of getting into medical school (or getting into a very good biomedical-related PhD program if you decide to take that route instead). If you decide to do something else these school are all very good for a very wide range of “something else”.

To me, given all of this, if you were to get into one or a few of these reach schools at full cost, and if you also get into UMD in-state (this last part seems very likely to me), it could be very hard to decide whether the higher ranked schools would be worth the cost. I do not know how someone figures this out (unless full cost for 8 years is not a problem at all for your family).

OK - here’s why I asked.

You cannot apply early to USC or Wash U if you apply ED/SCEA. And that will potentially eliminate admission chances.

Go back to my first post - #14 - where I suggest you don’t apply anywhere early - and this is why - what you lose (USC and WashU - which tracks demonstrated interest) - are not worth it.

Why is this your rank? Lets say you apply to Duke ED or Brown - and I already showed you Brown says the decision on you will be identical whether it’s ED or RD - but let’s say you apply to Duke. You’ll never know if you’ll get into Stanford or not.

You don’t have any national level awards? Do you think most Stanford or Yale do? Do you get a national level award for scooping ice cream at Baskin Robbins, walking dogs at the shelter, moving grocery carts from the parking lot into the store at Kroger, tutoring elementary kids?

I suspect that awards are highly overrated - short of winning a medal of some sort, it’s more about what you do, not what you win. Even those that win - win a gold medal in downhill skiiing did something to win the award.

But I’ll ask again, why do you like the order you have? Have you visited all? You noted no significant financial constraints - or that cost isn’t a major factor - but that makes it seem like it might be a minor factor - so you have $800K to spend?? Because even at the top hospitals, you’ll have kids that went to - for example at Vanderbilt - Kansas State, Miss State, Lipscomb and more. Med school is going to care about GPA and MCAT in addition to other things like LORs, committee letters and more (activities) - moreso than Duke or Delaware.

So I think you have to look at admissions differently than Yale and Stanford are out of reach. When you have a collective basket like you’ve shown, you’ll have, for example - kids that get into Stanford but not Duke. Kids that get into Brown but not UNC out of state, etc.

Just last year, we had a kid who posted they were in at MIT but turned down to BU. There was another who got into UC Berkely but not San Diego State. And earlier this week, there’s a kid who got into Harvard and Williams but was WL at Brandeis and withdrew.

You are a wonderful candidate and with having two languages, it’s an extra gift. We don’t know who is going to get into a school and why. It could be gender, location (do they need more Maryland grads), race (yes, it’s still a thing…it’s just not a thing from a check box), do they want mroe dual language speakers or someone who speaks the language you do, do they need someone who plays the sport you do?

So given you put Stanford at the top of you list, then why would you even consider Brown and Duke for ED?

On top of what I shared Brown says, Yale says similarly - “Yale does not give an advantage to applicants who choose apply through Early Action.”

So besides hearing early, why would you have an early app strategy? You are better to apply RD to all three - because it’s likely you get turned down to all three and/or maybe a deferral and turn down (you may not but it’s likely because all three have single digit acceptance rates) - and then you minimize your chance at USC and Wash U.

The truth is, you can get in at Stanford and rejected at USC, etc. But for SC you want to apply early and similarly you want to apply early at Wash U - and demonstrate interest. But you can’t do that if you apply early anywhere. I do believe your odds are better at these schools - better but not great - and Wash U is one where ED does matter. And now with EA, I’d have to think that will matter over RD, even if not as impactful as ED.

So in my mind, you have nothing to gain (maybe a tiny advantage at Duke by your original where should I apply early - but USC and Wash U to lose, if you do apply anywhere early.

So I see two that you get into - UMD and UIUC. I’d be confident there.

You asked where else might you consider? Well those two are super large and most your list isn’t.

As a private in the realm of what you applied, Emory is another reach school - but maybe slightly reachy, They have the QSS program which you can tie with bio. GW would be likely with any interest and has the health data science major. Lehigh has an undergrad in bio stats. U Rochester would be a nice one to look at for statistics.

For larger, public, and I think you get into UMD and Illinois. But other schools strong in healthcare fields, like Pitt and UMN, have their biostats only at the Masters levels. But they’d be great schools to look at for those interested in a health field. W&M is another to consider - with a combo of Computational and Applied Mathematics and Statistics-Mathematical Biology, Minor.

Then you have two - public and private that say and I’m sure there are more:

  1. Case Western - The Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree program (CBM) is intended for highly motivated current CWRU undergraduate students who are candidates for any bachelor’s degree and whose objective is to complete a Master of Science in Biostatistics. Qualified students may be admitted to the Biostatistics MS program and pursue the simultaneous completion of requirements for both the master’s and bachelor’s degrees in 4 – 5 years.

  2. UF is another I think you’d get in (likely) and says this - which might interest you - The Biostatistics bachelor’s/MS program allows qualified students to earn a bachelor’s degree from any degree program at UF and a Master of Science degree in Biostatistics with 12 credit hours of graduate coursework counting toward both degrees. This allows the master’s degree to be attained within one additional year (two semesters, 24 credits). The Master of Science in Biostatistics is designed to facilitate students’ development of a strong theoretical foundation in biostatistics and of a broad-based understanding of biostatistical methods.

So it doesn’t seem the traditional pre med route and there will be some schools with BS/MS options. And most won’t have an undergrad degree - but Lehigh, GW, Emory, etc. will in some form and I think Emory might match your desires better than any school and they offer merit aid.

But honestly, you should check all schools, and find one you want and can afford (including grad school) - you’ll get lots of merit - because you can combine stats and bio anywhere from a double major or major/minor. The other thing you can look at - and there are various programs - but one example would be a College of Charleston - they have the Fellows Program - so it’s not just Honors but it’s a sub group of Honors. Recent grads are at Harvard Law after an Oxford Masters and Gtown SFS for grad school focused on health policy (I’m biased, my kid was in the program). It’s small group, lots of enrichment and lots of scholarship money. And you have Med U of SC a few blocks away with intern/research opportunities.

So you’ve probably read, bio statistics is an MPH thing at most schools and few offer undergrad. But you can certainly combine them, either through a program like Emory, which might be your best fit through its QSS program or major in stats or public health.

That’s a lot of info - on what applying early will cost you - and on the intended major which doesn’t exist in most places - and if you truly want the specific major, you might need to look elsewhere.

btw - most pre med don’t end up in med school. I looked at UNCs outcomes (from 2024) with the undergrad degree. They have a 51% knowledge rate (so they know where half the kids went) - they show 79% working and 21% in school. Those working earned $58K.

Good luck

Collective Surveys

Quantitative Sciences Major

College of Charleston | Charleston Fellows

Applicants who apply ED can also apply to EA schools. They would just have to withdraw any acceptances and/or outstanding apps if accepted ED.

2 Likes

This isn’t accurate. USC requires students to submit their applications by an early priority deadline (typically December 1) to be automatically considered for merit scholarships. Because of this, it is allowable to apply to USC EA under most REA/SCEA application plans, including Stanford and Yale. And you can apply EA to other schools while applying ED, as @Mwfan1921 mentioned.

3 Likes

Great idea since University of North Carolina offers the B.S.P.H. degree in Biostatistics, a strong quantitative foundation with solid medical school placement record for its graduates.

Do keep in mind that UNC did slash funding for OOS students last year, from 44% to 18%. Though you don’t face significant financial constraints, you should still pursue outside scholarships.

I would drop Stanford (RD) from your list & possibly replace it with Harvard (RD), if interested.

Nothing wrong with that! I would have advised taking at least one AP social studies subject, AP U.S. History, but this is now in the past.

Yale does offer a five-year B.A-B.S.-M.P.H program if you are interested in pursuing this before medical school. You can complete this with a concentration in biostatistics.

Q: Are you SAT section scores similar (e.g. 770RW/780M) or not (e.g. 750RW/800M)?

So if there’s an exception like Emory - but Wash U EA (which they have now) - that would be off the table or am I missing something. The early application is for public schools or private where aid would be impacted.

Yale says this - at the bottom - as described above in a posts. Wash U does not share when they’ll inform their early action applicants. I don’t see an FAQ but in their restrictions below they don’t show that a USC is allowed. Perhaps it’s listed somewhere but not that I see. Yes, others allow early apps when merit is at play.

Nonetheless, given both Brown and Yale state that your decision will be the same ED/REA or RD and the student hasn’t been any, why go that route?

If you opt to apply through Single-Choice Early Action at Yale, you may not also apply through Early Action or Early Decision to other colleges or universities, unless:

  • The early admissions program is a non-binding rolling admission program.
  • The early admissions program is a non-binding early program at a public institution.
  • The early admissions program is an Early Decision or Early Action program that notifies applicants after January 1. These programs are typically titled “Round 2”
  • The early admissions program is at an institution outside the United States.

I’m not sure why you tagged me.

You posted if one puts in an ED app they can’t apply EA and they can. That’s all I responded.

For Yale and Princeton SCEA I agree they don’t seem to allow for USC or other early merit deadlines at private schools in EA. OP, or anyone else reading this should directly call the schools and ask.

You can choose to conclude what you are concluding. But you are missing much nuance. I’ll leave it at that because I don’t want to derail the thread.

It’s up to OP what strategy to take and I would encourage them to not heavily weigh feedback from posters who only have experience in college admissions via their kids.

2 Likes

I didn’t tag you that I’m aware of. Oh, I see I did. I was posting the Yale restrictions from their website in response to ta note you tagged me on.

You may be right - perhaps I’m missing nuance - but I don’t see how - given what Yale says - directly from their website and I put Brown up before.

Anyway, I offered up other ideas (public and private) to OP - as the major is not often offered undergrad but I offered a few more paths (Emory, Lehigh, W&M and others). And OP asked for more.

I don’t see how I’m missing nuance - but that’s fine. Yes, I’m a parent but I see the statement below as exactly what it says. Thanks

No advantage

Yale does not give an advantage to applicants who choose apply through Early Action or the QuestBridge Match. Select the admissions timeline that is right for you.

Again, I tagged you about ED apps, not Yale. You were wrong when you posted that students who put in an ED app can’t put in EA apps to USC and Wash U. They can, and probably should if USC and WashU are on the list.

1 Like

As far as admissions strategy is concerned, I would apply REA to either Stanford or Yale (and EA where allowed). While there is likely no admissions acceptance advantage, given that both schools reject rather than defer most applicants, you may be able to get some relevant intelligence on the relative strength of you application, especially if you are accepted or deferred. In either case, it would indicate that your application is very strong and you may feel more confident in having more reaches in the RD round, especially if there is an EA acceptance. For Yale, since their interview process is now also selective, receiving or not receiving an interview can also be informative.

Yes, there are cases of students getting into an HYPSM and being rejected almost everywhere else, but what I have seen as an interviewer and parent of a NESCAC and an HYP grad is that kids that get into an HYPSM will also likely be accepted into one or more other T20’s. Selective colleges make independent decisions, but look for many of the same things so I think cross admits are more common than the single acceptance.

3 Likes

My score is 750/800

1 Like

Thanks for providing the section scores. My advice in earlier posts remains the same.