Chance Me / Match Me: Undocumented [in VA, pending asylum], First-Gen, Very Low-Income Student — Physics + Full Financial Aid [3.85 GPA, 1480 SAT]

I would rank 15 schools because why give up chances.

I get that - but when you seek a full ride, you may have to take things you don’t necessarily favor..

3 Likes

Oh— thank you for providing me with these 2 new colleges to consider! I think the best plan of action is going through all QB partners and seeing if they have a page dedicated to my matter.

3 Likes

As a resident of VA you can’t apply for The Dream. us Opportunity Scholarship.

You would be applying for the dream. us National Scholarship (this is the 2025-26 guide)…which is an undergrad max of $33K. So, it does not cover 4 years tuition, let alone room and board. Are you seeing a GMU program I am missing?

Maybe GMU would give you more money, maybe you would get some external scholarships, maybe VASA will also give you state money…but those are unknowns right now. That is why you should apply to all your in-state colleges.

Regardless, prioritize your QB app right now. That app is a heavy lift with an end of Sept deadline. If you want help with that, let me know and I will PM you.

3 Likes

I can’t find it on their website but only AI - but check Berea College. They, per AI, accept undocumented students, including those that aren’t DACA.

I just think relying on the GMU as a back up - there’s no assurance you get that - so I’d personally steer my list larger, not smaller so you have more possibilities.

2 Likes

I would encourage you to rank 15. All the QB schools will meet your full need. With that said, you should run each school’s NPC with your parents to get a cost estimate. Here is Brown’s NPC Net Price Calculator

NPCs may not be accurate if your parents are divorced, or own real estate beyond a primary home, or own a business. Are any of these the case for you?

Your parents will need to complete financial aid forms for all the QB schools, and VA in-state. Are they willing to do that? You need to also make sure their US taxes are paid/up-to-date. You don’t need to share any financial info here, but you do need to spearhead this with your parents.

2 Likes

Hmm I am not sure if they changed their policy’s because my sister had a full ride to GMU through it and I believe GMU also gives her aid. Thank you for bringing that to my attention now that I know, maybe I should also apply to VASA too then. I would commute to GMU it’s ~25 minute drive. I’ll have to look at more options here then, given this info. Do you think 2 safeties is not enough?

Would it be okay if I update you through my QB process; sharing my essays and ranking? Thank you so much!

1 Like

GMU is a safety - but is that scholarship (the Dream one) a safety.

That’s the distinction that needs to be researched.

I assume it’s a competitive scholarship. If it’s automatic, then yes, you’d have breathing room.

2 Likes

Based of the feedback from others, I will try to aim for 15 rankings.
Parents are married, no home no assets. I think some colleges consider me international and thus will probably not offer me a package, some (and very few), are citizenship-blind. I believe I came across a list of 27 schools that are and they’re all reach heavy. I may need to look into other scholarships too then.
I think my parents might be supportive, or at least my mom. Do both need to be involved in the process?

1 Like

True— thank you! Others have been saying the same so it may be the way to go.

Do clarify the GMU situation, I expect they gave your sister some additional funds and maybe she got some state aid too. I would start by contacting your admissions officer. Meet Your Counselor | George Mason University

Two safeties is enough, but since GMU may not be affordable pending further info, we can’t yet call GMU a safety. (GMU is a highly likely admit for you)

Yes, PM’ing you now. You will see a green envelope on the upper right by your avatar.

4 Likes

For Questbridge, if both of your parents are employed, then both incomes need to be included. This is also the case for the FAFSA, and the Profile for many colleges that require it. So…yes, both of your parents will need to be involved.

2 Likes

My dad does not work

The info for the NPCs will come from the correct year tax return. If your parents file a joint return, they will be involved…just because they are both on that return.

1 Like

Check if you are eligible for Virginia in state tuition based on the Tuition Equity provision listed at https://www.schev.edu/financial-aid/in-state-residency

1 Like

Check out this scholarship

Does your family pay Federal and VA state income taxes?

Yes

1 Like

Thank you! I have heard of this.

This student has a family income of $30,000 and a family size of 8. Instate tuition costs will only help if they get a full scholarship to cover all of their college costs.

One thing and I’m not sure it’s totally relevant here, but be careful of airports. A Babson student was picked up at the Boston airport. Like you, so accomplished. If you go further or get invited for a fly in, consider driving or taking a bus/train.

8 Likes