I would tend to agree ICE enforcement seems like a reasonable topic for this thread given the OP also wanted a safer political climate for her experience. The colleges on the OP’s list especially the private ones, should have safe places or are in sanctuary cities.
A bit late to this thread but fyi, when C26 was applying to colleges I followed most of their Reddit threads. In both small towns and large cities, the Reddit threads seemed pretty quick with warning about ICE actual or potential activity on campus or in town, so maybe that’s something OP can bear in mind as well.
I am sorry Washington and Lee University hasn’t been mentioned yet. It is extremely well resourced (better than most NESCACs), has an excellent academic reputation, is in a small town, is within driving (or train) distance, participates in Questbridge, and has a history of welcoming undocumented students. It also has a great deal of international diversity. (By that I mean international students come frommany countries and backgrounds).
If people want to continue the conversation about ice activity, please use the political forum. Posts that were flagged were hidden and future off-topic posts that ignore moderator instructions will be deleted without comment. TIA
Has no one mentioned Grinnell? They participate in Questbridge, have a reputation for great fin aid, have a physics major.
Is QB the only path to college the OP needs?
No. But QB is a fantastic “glide path” for kids who qualify!
So they’d be wise to research additional pathways, i.e., identify schools likely to offer full or near-full rides, right? How would OP go about doing that systematically?
There are colleges that meet need - not on QB.
There are colleges with full rides - both prestigious in name and non prestigious.
For example, UNCC has the Levine - obviously a safety and maybe better odds of a full ride?? East Carolina has the Brinkley Lane. Many schools have Stamps.
There’s likely a list of full ride scholarships out there - that OP can see, validate and most importantly, would they qualify if not documented.
I do wonder if schools, in general, will pull back from undocumented students given all that’s taking place. I hope not but I wonder - i.e. do they want to deal with potential aftermath.
Here’s one such list - some look like tuition and temporary housing (like two years for the Singletary at U Kentucky) but OP can look at some like these (and the two I mentioned above aren’t on here) - to see if they’d fit from an eligibility POV.
It wouldn’t hurt to find some at some less prestigious schools.
A Guide to Full-Ride Scholarships + a list of 124 scholarships | College Essay Guy
Here’s Every College That Offers 100% Financial Aid · PrepScholar
How would someone validate?
A scholarship targeted to the child of a first responder who died on 9/11… if it doesn’t apply to the OP, it won’t work.
There are scholarships from private organizations specific to the children or siblings of veterans, public servants, etc. OP will need to verify that she meets the criteria…
Go on the school’s website and look up the scholarship listed on the 3rd party or that they meet need (if on the 2nd list).
For example,
not on the list but the two I mentioned - the first I’m reading, the tuition is in state so out of state would have to pay higher. The 2nd is all. But for each and every, OP should look at their website - do I qualify if not documented is the fist thing. Then you can look at competitiveness, etc.
For schools on the meets need list, they could go to that school’s website to ensure it’s true. At first glance, it looks to be true but I don’t see Dickinson on the list - so would be another - but do they meet need for an undocumented student, would be the question.
Anytime you are getting info from “not the official” source, it’s good to validate it.
Point of attribution - I learned about the ECU one (Brinkley Lane) from a student who posted after turning down more prominent schools (like UMD) for a cyber degree - given not just the largesse of the $$ but these programs typically come with enrichment opportunities as well.
Hope that helps.
Some may not have a choice if they have no money to support students who need full funding and can’t use any government money to do that.
For the special group scholarships (vets, first responders) how likely is it that non-citizens work those jobs? If the parent is a citizen, it is more likely the child/student would be one or at least have a visa or green card.
Florida Bright Futures doesn’t require citizenship or for the student to file a FAFSA. That doesn’t mean the schools won’t require a legal status for their own scholarships or that other scholarships won’t require a FAFSA to be filed (one daughter’s school required it for any school scholarship).
The scholarships I’m talking about aren’t that specific. They’re typically the creme de la creme of the college programs - but potentially funded through endowment.
As I noted, they’d have to do the legwork to determine their eligibility. And of course, even if eligible, you need to rise above the rest.
You do not need to be a citizen to work as an EMT in my town. You need a valid work permit-- Green card-- but that doesn’t make you a citizen. I am curious as to whether this is an anomaly… it’s one thing to require citizenship to work on advanced aerospace components-- you need security clearance after all- but to work as an EMT? This is new to me…
It depends on how picky the hiring authority can be. My nephew became an EMT last spring. He was having trouble finding a permanent job as he wasn’t 21 yet. That’s not a requirement for all departments, but for the ones he wanted to work at it is H e’s now 21 - for one week! - and he’s been hired.
Just read an article about a guy from Nebraska who wasn’t hired as an EMT because his hs diploma was from homeschooling and this city required an ‘accredited’ diploma. Their jobs, their rules.
I looked up one of the schools on the list because I’d never heard of it (Chipola). It has a Florida First Responders scholarship, but it is the student who is the first responder not the parent. To qualify, you have to be registered with a first responder organization , be a citizen and a resident of Florida.
I looked up Stamps and it said some states/schools require citizenship, others don’t but may have other requirements like resident of GA, international student (with visa).
Unless it is a high financial aid school like Harvard, it is hard for schools to give out full FA without any government programs like loans or Pell grants.