Class of 30 Undergrad/Class of 28 Grad: All Things Related to Music School Applications (prescreens/tours/interviews/auditions/supplements/etc)

I’m not on here much anymore, but my Blair senior is applying to grad schools right now, so I thought I’d jump in/follow along….though of course I’m not nearly so involved with the grad school thing as I was 4 years ago when he was applying for undergrad. He’s a clarinet performance major, and last I checked he’s got 5 schools on his list (all the apps should be in except for a last minute addition that he got an extension for). I think he has a nice, targeted list—he’s mostly interested in places where he could really focus on bass clarinet and/or chamber music. So that guided the list, along with locations of profs he’s worked with before or is particularly interested in working with for whatever reason. I’m nervous about money (because we really can’t help much at all) and kind of wish he’d tossed in a couple of places with full funding, but he felt like all of those were either huge long shots or didn’t really align with his interests. So we’ll see! He just flew to NYC for a sample lesson and to buy a bass clarinet a few weeks ago (he’s been using Blair’s…he just had a student Yamaha from high school), so it’s seeming very real.

7 Likes