What instrument or area of study was he? Congratulations to him on his graduation. Did he also take non music classes? Ill DM you!!
The posts of decisions (most also reveal merit and FA amounts) from previous years would be informative.
My understanding is that the merit amount may vary quite a bit depending on studio and student, also if there’s a highly desirable student of the same instrument. three years ago there was one string student who was offered full rides from everywhere he applied. When he committed to one school, all other schools freed up a sizable amount of money for the other students.
I don’t know what typical merit is at Michigan, but ours is $30K. Not sure if aid is coming later… NEC, MSM, and Boston Co/Berklee are about the same. Right now Peabody and Oberlin are our highest offers, with Eastman just behind. Still waiting on Jacobs. Really hard. She has full rides at two in state schools, which she might have to do depending!
When did you receive notification from UMich regarding merit?
This morning!
Hi, everyone! Here is the LINK to the thread I started a few years ago for the Undergrad Class of ‘28 and the Grad Class of ‘26. It was a separate thread that logged our acceptances as well as merit and aid. I think you may find it helpful to know what past offers have been. I highly suggest someone here start one for your class to help in this process. Congratulations on making it through auditions and decisions! Welcome to the financial stage! ![]()
Edited to add: Scroll to around post 181 to see the final, most comprehensive list of acceptances and awards.
Thanks! I’ll get one started for this year’s class ![]()
So, no financial aid info from Juilliard until April 15?!?
This definitely depends on the school. At Oberlin, they have the fall opera on parent weekend, so there’s no way I would miss it! Of course, Oberlin is so small (both the town and the school) and only has one hotel, anyway, so we always end up staying about 20 minutes away, and we haven’t had a problem getting a room anywhere. I can definitely see how it would be a hassle at a big school.
Are any of your students getting any kind of special gift for their band director at school? Trying to find ideas because I feel like we really need to get something for my son’s director, he’s been absolutely amazing between ALL of the letter of recommendations to just being a flat out friend/mentor when he needs it.
No school music program for us, but will be getting something nice for our private teacher and something for the outside youth orchestra conductor. Not sure quite what yet
I’ll share if we come up with something!
I’m speaking from a teacher’s perspective.
If your son starts college after his high school starts, go visit the band and talk to the younger kids there; if he comes home for holiday break while high school is still in session, go visit and talk to the young kids. During breaks my son goes to his high school to coach the viola section and it’s always fun. As a high school teacher, the best presents I enjoy are hand-written notes and former students coming to my class for a visit.
FYI…..something special arrived from USC in the mail. So for those accepted be on the look out.
We received it as well!
They release by instrument at different times - my daughter is a 2nd year violin performance major
Anyone else still waiting on IU/JSOM financial aid?
Yes. I asked if they were complete and they told me “No. We appreciate your patience and you will hear something soon.”
Just received UMich merit. No merit offered, just financial aid. Thanks but no Thanks! And this was my DD 1st choice!
ugh that’s just such a tease!
Exactly. It is a long story, but my DD thought she and the professor there had a good relationship. She said her audition went well! Better than other schools who gave her merit! Very disappointing