We did 2 appeals last night, we are waiting on MSM to show us the full financial aid picture before we appeal to them. I do not like that this might be super last minute but then again I do not think they will come through with what we need.
DS is waiting on MSM, too, but I’ll be a little shocked if it’s anything other than “you can take out loans if you want.” Just for kicks I did the net price calculator (which apparently hasn’t been updated since 2022) and played around with numbers (and remembered why DS didn’t apply there as an undergrad)….weirdly it spit out a slightly lower net price for over $99,000 income (the highest category they have) than $80-90,000. And no matter what I did the net price didn’t go down under $47,000. So if they’re expecting a family of 5 with 2 kids in college making $50,000/yr to pay $47,000, I’m not hoping for much.
For a MM degree, wouldn’t they only be looking at your son’s income and assets?
you’d think, but MSM wanted ALL of our info—including on the CSS profile. Then when he was there auditioning there was a list of additional questions like, “how much of your cost will you be using a trust fund to cover?” LOL
I laughed at that one too. Oh, sweet child, if only we had a trust fund…
Just fyi on grad school…all grad students are needy! IMHO their income was kind of a moot point since no one had any money. I do believe one school asked for the parent’s income…it may have been MSM. I thought…well that’s not good (and we’re not rich but obviously they were sniffing around for other people’s money). My D’s award at MSM was $0. She had already decided to go elsewhere so she didn’t attempt an appeal.
Good luck. I do remember the scramble to lock down everything with her chosen school…in writing…by 4/15.
I’ve had two kids apply to grad school now, and MSM is the only school that’s asked for parent info…it’s just a little mysterious since they don’t appear to give out much of any need-based aid to anyone anyway (although right now MSM’s offer is putting the OOP cost on par with his 2 public schools…of course then you have to pay to live in Manhattan)
Hi. I found your post in a USC/TE search. We reached out to the TE rep and thought results would be available this week, but no news. Have you heard anything?
Jacobs- we’re done.
Anyone on this thread waiting for undergrad merit from UC/CCM? We got an email saying music merit isn’t showing in students financial aid offers yet but we should have it by the end of this week. We don’t yet have it.
Congratulations! My daughter is there and loves it!
Ditto for my daughter:).
Hi, I am writing an appeal and the financial aid person said to including competing offers. The offers from other schools have total COA in the high $70k. So this school we are appealing is $95k COA. It was the most expensive and best school on my daughter’s list. I guess I will still submit the competing offers but surely they know they are the most expensive right?
They do. If the merit at the lower COA schools brings the price down to a figure you like, communicate that. If they are asking to see proof of the competing offers, they are serious about their own offer. Sounds like you’ve already told them the schools at which you’ve received merit? They’d only ask to see your offers if they considered those schools comparable and competitive.
Also keep in mind they also had us fill out that special form that flat out asked how much they expected parents to contribute and other things on top of the FAFSA and CSS Profile. No clue what that will really do.
We are all but committed to Jacobs too. Son is realizing the offer of tuition covered is simply too hard to pass up. He sent an email to a prof at one other school last night saying that without funding, he’ll have to decline. He has a meeting with another school when we return from spring break, and will say the same. The prof said he’s on a scholarship list but when he emailed admissions, they said there was no such list. Oof.
Thar workshop sounds interesting. Do you know the specific times that they meet each day?
The most expensive sweat shirt you will ever buy!
I don’t but since I know music is so difficult - I put it up in case it might work for someone. And I don’t know who Trey Bruce is but he seems accomplished. Basically, I know nothing - but I’m sure reaching out can yield more info.
They have this email address on there (for scholarships) - but maybe they are a generalist person.
Scholarships are available thanks to the partner above. For information, please contact Tanner Adams at tadams@williamsonheritage.org.
Here is more info - but yep, no times. But a second web page.
MSM being stingy with aid is not surprising given that they have one of the smallest (if not the smallest) endowment of any standalone conservatory. Around $35M in FY 2023. For comparison, that same year NEC and Peabody had $150M each, Curtis $200M, Berklee $400M, and Juilliard $1.3B (yes, billion with a b). Even the beleaguered CIM had more ($50M). See here and here.