Interestingly enough, Baltimore was the city I was talking about (but didn’t mention specifially)! I trained there in the late 80’s through the mid 90’s and it was a mess. I had assumed it might have cleaned up its act a bit in the ensuring years.
Just called MSM to ask when the financial aid package would be coming out and was told it’ll be sometime this week. I was really hoping it would be today since they have a financial aid meeting tonight. I also asked at what point do we entertain a scholarship appeal and they said once we get the full financial aid package so we have no choice but to wait. Their numbers are what is keeping my son from fully committing to Berklee at this point.
safety is very subjective. When my daughter did her internship one summer in DC, I checked her location at least twice every evening until I saw she’s back to her apartment. When my son goes somewhere I check his location only out of curiosity. They both complained it was unfair.
I’m such a planner and that would kill me knowing that my child would have 4 days to decide on yes/no. That gives him zero time to do any kind of appeal. I don’t understand why they don’t have this ready.
Did anyone attend the financial aid meeting with MSM last night? I didn’t realize we had to sign up to attend and by the time we realized that we need to it was too late and they wouldn’t allow us to sign up. Curious what all they talked about and if they gave any hint as to when their long awaited financial aid package would be released.
I don’t know re merit- but we have been waiting since acceptance to hear about a Tuition Exchange application which USC keeps pushing out. Relative to another comment, given what was offered FA otw, it is making us hold on to a violin spot there until we are told yea or nay.
They have had the application since the beginning and it has little to do with our DC, just whether they want to make a swap in the TE system.
I understand. It worked out for my son in the end, thankfully. He found out yesterday he got into IU Jacobs. I think they decided to just make room for him in the jazz program. We are so grateful. He’s headed to IU!
My son joined a zoom call last night for MSM’s Jazz Arts department. It was an hour long and he actually came out of that meeting feeling like he knew a lot about the program and it somewhat excited him. They said that the financial aid package should come this week or early next week. I really feel bad for grad students because they will have zero time. I did the math and if somehow we could get another 25k a year it could really be a contender and rival his Berklee/UM Frost offers.
I’d call up Admissions and find out. They can definitely explain. I have a feeling it may just be an email to Admissions formalizing the appeal but they can definitely tell you more. Once you know can you please let me know because I know we will more than likely need to appeal as well.
I am amazed at all these efforts to appeal. Back in the age of dinosaurs (2009), we had no idea this was possible. Net result of applications was some wonderful BM acceptances, but ultimate entrance to a BA program due to financial aid. (It all worked out). This music forum is extremely helpful in letting people know the potential for increasing financial feasibility of attendance. Good luck everyone!