Class of 30 Undergrad/Class of 28 Grad: All Things Related to Music School Applications (prescreens/tours/interviews/auditions/supplements/etc)

DD heard back from about half of the professors. Those who responded were congratulatory; and it was fine.

Those who didn’t respond - I think in a way, it affirmed a “sixth sense” feeling we had about them. In one case, DD had studied with this professor for two years at summer festivals; but at the audition had an uneasy feeling about how that studio seemed to function.

2 Likes

Completely agree, their sixth sense is usually right on.

4 Likes

Appeal is in!!! DD is going to Eastman! Successful appeal!

22 Likes

Wooohooo congrats!!!

1 Like

Does anyone know if merit awards stack on top of need based aid at Rice for Shepherd? My DS got a Rice grant and then found out today he was awarded a merit scholarship (for more than the grant but the sum is less than the total COA). Will the merit award then cancel out the grant? Any experience here?

it sure is!

Yes he did.

Apparently Juilliard has been reviewing FA of grads until yesterday and will begin UG appeals next week with notification coming out without a schedule right up to May 1. We have found USC frustrating process wise as their initial offer was too pricey to consider, offered a Tuition exchange 2 or 3 weeks after acceptance and now will not say when this will be reconciled with prior offer. Just wish we could have all the information to make a decision.

1 Like

That’s super frustrating regarding both Juilliard and USC. Like how do they either school expect you to have time to decide on anything.

We are still waiting on our MSM appeal.

I was going back and forth with AI yesterday to figure out what order to use some of the different college accounts we have since we have a grandparent 529 and we also have Florida Prepaid which can pay out to an out of state/private school. I was going in circles ALL day long because it was getting numbers wrong and eventually just started my own excel spreadsheet to do the math myself.

My son started doing Instacart over the weekend to help start bringing in some money. I feel this sense of panic from him and that’s NOT what I wanted him to feel. My excel math tells me that we need to really worry about cash flowing starting Junior year. So if he can start bringing in money starting now I can throw it into an account right away and when we need it we’ll have it and that can reduce the amount we need to cash flow.

3 Likes

They say Wes Montgomery did Instacart…it’s how all the greats start! Hang in there. Fifteen more days.

2 Likes

Who here is still waiting on an appeal?

We are still waiting on MSM. They emailed us earlier to say hopefully by Monday.

We are still waiting on MSM & Eastman. Appeals have come in from NEC & Jacobs. The waiting is miserable!

No appeals left here. We did get a match from MSU to IU’s offer of tuition yesterday. Since MSU didn’t give him some love initially, and even when he followed up 2 weeks ago, the response wasn’t a “feel good” from admissions, that he feels a certain way about it. Like why did I get no love to begin with? lol

It’s going to be interesting the discussions we have over the next few days, and probably up to May 1.

2 Likes

We are still waiting on an appeal filed on 4/3. We know they received it, because my son emailed with them on 4/6 to confirm. They said (then) that they hoped to be in touch soon.

OMG nerve wracking! I hope you guys hear back soon.

1 Like

Still waiting on appeal response from Jacobs. Was submitted to them 4/13. Really hope to hear something by Monday.

2 Likes

merit award does not cancel out need based aid

My son told me that in his original correspondence with his desired school, where we are appealing for merit aid, that priority was going to those who got their appeals in by a certain date, and we could hear anywhere up to 5/1.

I had forgotten that detail and now it really feels like we are playing chicken. Gulp. We have not communicated further with them except for him to confirm they received his appeal.

Should we stay radio silent? Should we check in via phone as parents?

And if we want to be decent people and free up merit aid offered at his 2nd choice school for others to benefit from (and not burn bridges for future grad school), when should we let go of his 2nd choice? Or should we selfishly hold that one for now?

He has declined his others, and we have told him we will make it work regardless of the appeal outcome. But it would make an huge difference for us if it comes through. Appreciate any advice!

If your appeal was received and they said it will be up to May 1, why raise again ?

You have until May 1 to accept a college. Technically you needn’t decline another but it’s nice. Most likely don’t. If you don’t enroll by May 1, that’s a decline.

I don’t see grad school being impacted no matter the size of your music community from a lack of notification.