Columbia [$90k] BioChem (or similar) versus UCLA [$50k] BioChem (or similar) [not pre-med]

@Guy_Rien I’m so glad you came back. You had many threads, sometimes thinking the system would work against you. Clearly your student did fine.

Let me ask you this - with Columbia $200k more and a Masters likely, will you be able to and are you willing to fund it if she attends there ?

If so, let her choose.

But this entire team, through many threads it was about the top UCs, potentially being disadvantaged vs others who you didn’t think were as accomplished and then money.

I don’t know your daughter or you, but if I was basing it on the many discussions that took place, I’d say only UCLA and I wouldn’t give Columbia consideration.

In fact, I’m surprised, knowing you are full pay and from your many posts you clearly didn’t want to be, that you even let her apply. Mine was interested in Cornell but I wasn’t going to send her. We had a $50k pre set limit. So your situation would have been my worst nightmare. But we ruled against it up front.

So I’m going from your post history.

But if you’ve changed, then let her decide. Yes Columbia is Ivy. It’s also in the cross hairs of the federal government. UCLA may be too.

Great gets - you have to decide which wins - student choice or budget. Both will launch them.

5% of Columbia’s classes are 100+ vs 13% at UCLA. But don’t forget they will have subsections. And we do t know the subjects of those classes.

Also, don’t forget the quarter (ucla) vs semester systems (Columbia).

No wrong answer but one is better for you based on your many posts. Whether it’s better for you kid only she can say.

Back to rank and I think it’s irrelevant - but college raptor rates ucla #7 and I couldn’t find Columbia. Research.com UCLA 9 and Columbia 20. Master portal 16 and Columbia 18. US News UCLA 10 and Columbia 13.

Does any of that matter? Unlikely but I didn’t see Columbia higher ranked in the 4 I looked at.

Congrats - and good luck.

2 Likes