This! Especially when there are limitations, such as time or budget. I don’t take any “it would be fine to go there, but I’m not dying to” vacations. GC doesn’t make my list of places I think are important to visit - though, that could be because I scratched that particular itch visiting the parks in southern Utah.
I’ll be even more contrarian and say I also have no desire to visit Hawaii, which seems like sacrilege to many in my social circle.
I’ve been to the Grand Canyon many times. It’s beautiful and awe inspiring but I don’t feel it’s something everyone must see. I loved Zion and Bryce and Bryce Canyon would be on my must see. Glacier is another I’m glad I saw before the glaciers are gone.
When I was in college I had a big break in January. For two January breaks my boyfriend and I went on road trips. One year was the Grand Canyon and the next was Zion and Bryce. I remember freezing in the campground at the GC and being so mad at my boyfriend. The next year we had the brilliant idea to rent a small camper for the back of his pickup truck. Zion was fine even though our water froze. The campground was of course empty. At Bryce we were forced to get a motel since the campground was covered in snow up to the roofs of the restrooms. He is now my husband and he still loves camping. I’ve drawn the line at winter camping.
The Grand Canyon was awesome. I nearly successfully fed a french fry to a raven sitting on a railing, but once I came within about two feet of it, it lost its nerve and flew away. Maybe the proper park etiquette is to toss the fry near it.
(I’m one of those people who would pet/feed all the animals if I could. I blame hunters of yore for their fear of us. hehe)
The Grand Canyon is amazing, but maybe you can use someone’s 3d virtual reality headset and try it out. Surely they have a way to experience the Grand Canyon!
Back when my future-DH and I were deciding on our honeymoon destination, he wanted to go to the Grand Canyon while I preferred Hawaii. Hawaii it was, which we both enjoyed a great deal– and we never did go to the Grand Canyon. We’ve thought about it now and then but somehow it never felt like the right time or the best use of our recreation budget. And truth be told, it’s still never appealed to me.
I never had a burning desire to go to the Grand Canyon. But future spouse and I were planning a trip to AZ to see friends so it seemed silly to be right there and not go (this was 30 years ago). I loved it! Pictures don’t do it justice. They (to me) just didn’t convey the…grandness (for lack of better word) than being there in person. And it looks so different at different times of day. That said, we never took our kids - I had no desire to go over school breaks, or in the summer!