I just went through something similar. First, check to see if your insurance company writes in Georgia. My ins. company does not write in MA (where S moved.) I got the name of my cousin’s ins. agent and called him. We had all the paperwork signed (title, plus a bill of sale for $1 and other forms the agent sent S) before he moved. S mailed them all USPO priority & certified to agent but the Boston PO lost it. They lied several times telling S and the agent when they called that the package would be sent the next day. Finally, I called and the supervisor told me they had no idea where the package was. It eventually was returned to my son’s college address after he had already left for Boston. Consequently, nothing was done until he already moved as we had to get dup. title, resign all the forms and get them to agent ASAP because he couldn’t park on street in Boston without car being registered. The agent had a runner take everything to DMV and got the plates, registration, etc and S just had to go to agent’s office to pick them up. Our cost to MASSDOT was $160.
If it wasn’t for the parking permit situation in Boston we would have just had S do it all once he got to MA. Also, our agent in MA told us he has about 1 month to get a MA drivers license.
I would give her the title to take with her, plus a bill of sale, and take it to the DMV when she gets to GA - unless you need to change ins. companies. I would find an independent agent if that is the case.