Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

<p>most people I’ve talke to see to use I-Banking as a means to and end, usually with targets being PE or working like Corporate Dev.</p>

<p>And is I-banking the only pathway to get into PE or corporate banking?</p>

<p>what is the best major for a career in IB?</p>

<p>to the original poster. That schedule for investment bankers is nothing, you should see my parents schedule in owning a busy restaurant in downtown Toronto. There are times when I don’t see them for 3 days in a row and then days where I see them too much. Anybody that makes 6 figures will have to work hard.</p>

<p>oh and the best majors for IB are probably finance,accounting,economics,stats.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>PE is a field that is usually populated with ex-bankers and some ex-consultants, mostly bankers though and it’s a very specific type of banker (you have to have the right modeling experience). They also get former executive types from companies because they bring good experience from that specific industry and contacts.</p>

<p>Corporate Banking is something I’m pretty sure you can get into right out of undergrad.</p>

<p>Corporate DEV on the other hand is something that has former i-banker and consultant types.</p>

<p>droooooool PE…man a kid can only dream. Does anyone know what an Undergrad who works for a hedge fund does? What would the pay be like?</p>

<p>how many investment bankers are there in the U.S. and how hard is to become one?</p>

<p>most of the corporate execs arent brought in to work purely for the pe, they are brought in to serve as the CEO of the companies where their private equity is being purchased. And only reason these big time execs come to work is becuase of less governments regulation.</p>

<p>southpasdena…lmao…the hialrious part about what you said is that its true…haha</p>

<p>in dubai…do Accountants earn more than investment bankers or is it the way round</p>

<p>zeeza, the IBanking industry in the UAE is still in its infancy. However, even at this stage, IBankers are paid more than accountants, especially when you consider bonus packages.</p>

<p>thanks Alexandre. i am really happy you replied me and i would like you to tell me<br>
how it is working in dubai in an investment bank. i wanted to be an accountant or else go into forensic accounting…but i changed my mind and decided to into investment banking coz the pay is more. the main reason why i really want to work in dubai is because i feel they are a lot of opportunities in that city. i would really appreciate it if you tell me more on IB and ACCT and also about working in dubai.right now i am in my second year in acct.</p>

<p>You don’t want to start your career in Dubai. Dubai is a great place to work once you are established, but you really want to go to a financial center like London, NY, Frankfurt, Zurich etc…for your training (first 2-3 years). </p>

<p>By the way, I am no longer an IBanker. I am now the HR Director at a Private Equity firm.</p>

<p>“I am now the HR Director at a Private Equity firm.”</p>

<p>ooops, perhaps I should be more careful when I post on CC. ;)</p>

<p>We must always be careful what we post untilted. My current boss is a Buckeye! Well, he got his MBA from IMD (Switzerland), but his undergraduate degree from OSU. When he first interviewed me he looked at my CV, then looked me straight in the face and he said “University of Michigan…not good!” Two minutes later, my cell phone started to ring. The ring tone you ask? Why, Hail to the Victors naturally. I got the job there and then! LOL!</p>

<p>I didn’t bother to read pages 2-6 but what Alexandre claimed on page 1 about his making near 500g is the biggest crap I have ever heard</p>

<p>First of all, if we’re talking banking (IBD…not trading or other finance)</p>

<ol>
<li><p>no analyst or starting associate comes close to that range (vp level is that kind of money)</p></li>
<li><p>years ago, ibd was considered to be complete crap… ibd wave didnt hit until the 90s, before that it was all trading, and corpfin people didn’t generate much revenue at all</p></li>
</ol>

<p>even if alexandre somehow started as an associate, no way he could have made 500k as a third year associate before the big ibanking boom</p>

<p>I think people should be cautious of what they say, because if some ignorant or gullible person thinks a third year analyst can even make half that money he is delusional</p>

<p>standard ibanking pay for 06 was 60k + 50-80k bonus = 110-140k
07 estimates are 140-160k overall, though that’s still very optimistic</p>

<p>Bipolar, I never said that basic salaries for analysts was in the 500K range, nor did I say that first year analysts made 500K, even with bonuses. I said that third year analysts can make large bonuses. Basic salaries for first year analysts range between $50,000 and $70,000 depending on the Bank. Bonuses, as you pointed out generall hover between nothing (for poor performers) to over 100K (for potential stars). But by third year, well established analysts can earn bonuses in the $250-$300K ball park, although admitedly, it is not common.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ibsal.htm[/url]”>http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ibsal.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Luckily this site is dated enough to be of use and shut your mouth (this is to bipolar)</p>

<p>With Alexandre’s experience I don’t think anyone should be calling BS on him. He contributes greatly and is actually experienced, unlike some HS kids on this forum debating over the average IB bonus. Seriously, when you get the IB job or the IB interview then worry, for now get a hobby or something -_- .</p>

<p>is alexandre is really what he says he is why would he waste time on cc, also he responds to post very quickly showing hes on cc alot, doesn’t he have better things to do? why isn’t he busy right now making his 500k?</p>