do law schools prefer or discriminate against their own undergrads?

<p>I know in the case of a Ph.D. they generally discourage from having all your degrees from the same place - on the grounds of broadening one's perspective, or as a safeguard against nepotism. </p>

<p>I wouldn't think this is the case for law schools, since they're different programs, but I was told by a Columbia College grad that they made it next to impossible to get into Columbia Law School. I've also heard though that Harvard and Yale are quite favorable toward their own undergrads.</p>

<p>Most law schools favor their undergrads by a small margin. I suspect this may be in part because your recs are coming from faculty members that are known commodities. If Prof X, who is very well respected, writes you a glowing rec, it may matter a bit more than a glowing rec from a prof from another school nobody knows. </p>

<p>However, there are no guarantees. There was a student at one of the top colleges who won an award at graduation which is sort of the equivalent of the most outstanding student in the class who did NOT get into the affiliated law school. Reportedly, the faculty of arts and sciences was furious. So, there are no guarantees. </p>

<p>The thing is…if you are “in the zone,” being from the UG can help a bit, but nobody knows if they will end up “in the zone” when they start college. If you have a 3.5 and a 162, it’s unlikely you are going to get into Harvard Law even if you went to Harvard UG. But if your stats fall a bit below the median and you went to Harvard College, you’ve got a better chance of getting in than if you had the same stats coming from any other college.</p>

<p>S did NOT initially get into his school’s affiliated law school, which was one of the State flagships. They could have filled their class with their own undergrads who met or exceeded their average profile. Often the schools will post the undergrad institutions (and sometimes the majors) of their entering classes, so you can see that they seem to like geographic and academic diversity. By the way, S was admitted to the affiliated law school as a 2L transfer student but decided to transfer elsewhere.</p>

<p>Yale and Harvard are known (statistically) to favor their undergrads. I doubt other schools prefer or discriminate against their undergrads. Columbia Law doesn’t favor Columbia undergrads, and that’s why it’s next to impossible for Columbia undergrads to get into Columbia Law.</p>

<p>In general, the individual UC campuses do not prefer their own undergrads, and I believe the same is true for the professional schools.</p>

<p>Yes, I heard about Columbia disfavoring it’s own undergrads. However, I am unsure as to whether or not C’s peer law schools do the same.</p>

<p>NYU does not favor its own grads</p>

<p>^Meh. That could be attributed to the disparity between the selectivity of NYU law and NYU undergrad. I mean that in the least offensive way. Though, it is no secret that NYU’s law school greatly outshines it’s undergrad programs (Stern is a worthy exception)</p>

<p>I think it depends on the school. As a rule, I think law schools are more lenient about accepting their own undergrads than grad schools simply because the programs are more separated.</p>