Do many females in their 20s have knowledge about brand-name handbag?

<p>Frazzled D is very much aware but would never carry one. Not really her style - prefers inexpensive store-bought stuff or one of a kind handmade items. I am partial to coach bags and made an unfortunate mistake of getting her one for a birthday present a few years ago; she has thought of re-gifting it to a friend who likes coach bags, but has apparently never gotten around to it; perhaps I will start borrowing it.</p>

<p>The only brand DD would know, even now out of grad school, is Vera Bradley (if that even counts as designer) because I have a couple. She borrowed one once and still has it. Since she’s vegan, she’d never buy leather and VB does well for her.</p>

<p>When I was in college, many moons ago, I recall Etienne Aigner being popular and fashionable, After I’d been working a while, I finally got one for myself, and felt I’d really made it.</p>

<p>etienne aigner </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You were lucky!!</p>

<p>Most young women who live close to urban cities would know designer brands handbags.</p>

<p>Some brands are popular in certain region. Vera Bradley is not popular in the Bay Area.</p>

<p>Nope.
I doubt if I or either of my daughters could tell the difference between a designer bag and one bought off the side walk at ten paces.
or care.
A paper grocery bag can carry your stuff as easily, now shoes or boots on the other hand do matter.</p>

<p>“Some brands are popular in certain region. Vera Bradley is not popular in the Bay Area.”</p>

<p>Not much enthusiasm for VB here in my rainy neck of the woods either. :)</p>

<p>The question is if they could tell Coach from Faux. That would make me worried. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone under the age of 50 carrying a Vera Bradley bag.</p>

<p>Neither I nor my D would have a clue. And our wallets are better for it.</p>

<p>My D who is 17 would have a pretty good idea - but she has the knowledge based on looking at high end bags at places like Nordstrom Rack and TJMaxx - Kate Spade, Dooney, etc. </p>

<p>I sort of don’t get the “ask” here. Are you just thinking it is unusual that a young woman can identify a bag by looking at it across the room and not by reading the tag inside the bag??? I don’t know that private or public university would play into that…</p>

<p>Both my girls and S’s GF can tell certain handbags. Doesn’t mean they necessarily want them. Though they all have a few.
I don’t think Vera Bradley is popular with West Coast young women. Oldest said Vera was popular at her mid west univ.</p>

<p>My mom has carried Coach since the early 70’s. When they made them in NYC & were “works of art” (her words, not mine) Even after giving them away to friends & family, donating them to a Back to Work/Business Wear organization, she still has a closet full. She begged me to come and take some. I took one. I get so many compliments on it when I use it. I’m not a designer bag snob. She hates the new Coach micro fiber/logo/cheap leather “crap”, as she calls it. They are going back to a better quality! Still not to her standards. She is a Coach purist! She has even kept her old catalogues from 40+ years ago.</p>

<p>She says that Dooney & B is a better quality leather.</p>

<p>One can be a purse enthusiast without having to collect them. I can tell real Gucci bags from some fairly decent fakes. It does not mean that my closet is stuffed with Gucci products or that I covet them! I usually buy one bag and I carry it until it disintegrates. This time, it looks like a certain designer made sure that I will die with the bag still in good shape. :)</p>

<p>My 24 year old in med school has owned only one handbag that she got for her interview trail. She doesn’t see the need for one, she has a wallet clutch that has her phone, debit card and ID and maybe a lip gloss, and she has hair that doesn’t need a comb or brush. Very low maintenance. That being said, I think she would know designer handbags, her UG roomies had all the name bags.</p>

<p>Recognizing a designer handbag and owning and using one exclusively are different things entirely. In our area, kids in high school are pretty aware of the designers and the different bags. When d was in high school, Kate Spade, Prada, Longchamp were the most popular. I am a Classic Coach bag fan and have several. Older d is using an older Coach bag of mine as we speak, neither of us are fans of the new Coach look of recent years, but they have reintroduced earlier Coach designs in the past two years. Vera Bradley was popular for some time but at least 5 plus years ago. Both d’s had Vera Bradley wallets in high school and throughout college. We all had Vera Bradley tote bags at one point. They both have Le SportSac travel bags that work great for weekend travel. They last forever.</p>

<p>There are quite a few levels of designer. I don’t think Vera Bradley really qualifies (I have a VB makeup bag and my D has a VB zip-around wallet, fwiw.). Coach is kind of low level designer (and I’m using a Coach bag right now, so it’s not as though I think I’m too good for it, lol).</p>

<p>There are also differences between bags that have the C’s all over - which have kind of jumped the shark - and some of their other lines. </p>

<p>Around here, Vera Bradley purses are not popular items. BUT Vera totes, duffles, and wristlets are. My DD has two large Vera totes that she uses daily. I have a vera duffle that I have to hide from her. </p>

<p>I’ve been given a few Vera purses…and they occupy space in my closet. Anyone want one? I do have a VB computer bag, and I used it when I worked…</p>

<p>Longchamps is popular around here. My kid likes Burberry, Coach (leather only), and some Kate Spade. </p>

<p>It seems like Longchamp is quite popular at DDs college. Very understated & utilitarian. DD uses hers for her books, and other paraphernalia. Her HS classmates told her that the bag looked like a granny bag! Lol </p>

<p>Wow. It appears many here are familiar with many kinds of designer bags.</p>

<p>Like my wife once said: Because we do not have a daughter, we may have missed a lot.</p>

<p>But with some luck, we may have a DIL in the future.</p>

<p>I know that this surprise no one: Yes of course they do. When my youngest was 8 ish she spotted a girl who was high school carrying a LV bag. She looked at it and said, “Fake.” She was correct. It was fake. </p>

<p>On the other side of the question we do not purchased fake clothes, shoes, or leather goods. Like blood diamonds these fakes are produced in horrible circumstances. In addition they are stealing from the real designers.</p>

<p>My niece can spot and identify a designer bag from 100 yards away. She is public school educated, elementary, hs and college.</p>