<p>My sister was a hairdresser so she showed me how to do it at home-it’s not hard-so I’ve done my own since I moved across the country from her 17 years ago. Now that my D is older and loves doing hair, she’s done highlights for me a couple of times, but I usually stick with a dark golden brown, which is close to my own hair before the gray, only better. But I’m no fool, no one believes that at 55 that’s all me. So I go with dark burgundies or light golden brown-colors clearly not my own and interestingly, the purple-ish burgundy from Revlon Colorsilk gets the most compliments. It’s cheap, ammonia free, and always gets good reviews in any customer review sites. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the kind of money professional coloring costs.</p>
<p>With brown hair, my roots start showing in 3 weeks. I can do a really good job with the front, but I suspect I miss spots in the back. So, every few months, I let my hairdresser color and cut. I don’t think I’ve done highlights for a year. If I did all 3 at one time, the bill would be over $200, $300 at a fancier place. </p>
<p>I color my own hair at home using L’Oreal Excellence Crème 8 (medium blonde). I do this with the blessing of my hairdresser, who was in the final four on a show called “Shear Genius” several years ago and is not one to hold his tongue. </p>
<p>I use the 6 wk type Clairol. Brown hair and I keep it pretty close to my natural color. I do have some grays that don’t take the color as well as the rest of my hair so I get complimented on my great highlights!</p>
<p>I am a real klutz–no way could I color my hair and highlight it by myself. I’ve considered it a few times and even bought a product but chickened out at the last minute. I know people who color their own hair who do a great job and I know others who color themselves and their hair comes out looking awful. I’m afraid I’d fall into the awful looking hair group. I try to stretch out the time between coloring and I can go about 8 weeks. I do highlights every other time.</p>
<p>I’m a real klutz when it comes to coloring my hair but I usually colored my hair to save time, it usually takes about 20-40 minutes using the natural hair dye, I hate to spend more than 1-2 hours at the hair dresser, the cost is reasonably inexpensive so that does not worry me. I can’t see in the back well, so that’s where my husband can help. But I don’t worry about not covering every single gray hair. I mean at my age, people expect it.</p>
<p>Touching up roots between colorings is a pretty safe way to go. I do the whole shebang every six months or so and touch up at home. Yes, there have been occasional issues, but you learn what works.</p>
<p>I used to be a henna user going towards the reds (which was really lovely) but at 56 I don’t think it would work for me any more. I’m kind of chicken to try something different, and my hairdresser is a peach only charging me $85 for the works. Still reviewing everything out there.</p>
<p>I could never do my own color but I would probably try the DIY keratin. I had to cut that out because of tuition. Just couldn’t justify spending $400 for it. </p>
<p>Jym, let us know how it turns out. Also, what brand did you use? </p>
<p>I do it at home. The hairdresser’s product (permanent) was washing away after first shampoo. Mine does not stay long either because I swim every day, but it seems to stay longer than proffessional. I do not remember the brand, I buy whatever is $3 in Dollar store and split into 2 (before I mix it, cannot store the mixed one). So, it costs $1.50 per application and it is also takes much less time than going to salon. I am pretty lazy in regard to going anywhere, I like to be at home. So, it just depends on your personal preference, I do not believe that one way is better than another, what work for one will not work for others. In regard to clothes, it is easy, got to have a skinny straps, that could be pulled down instead of up. I have not stained anything ever and able to wear this T-shirt on a regular basis, one of my favorites. .</p>
<p>emilybee,
its made by OrganiX <a href=“http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3120805”>http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3120805</a></p>
<p>It smells just like the stuff with the formaldehyde in it.</p>
<p>I tried this, and I splashed it on the paint in my bathroom. Considering how much it is going to cost to repaint it, I decided to stick with the hairdresser.</p>
<p>I used to color at home when my d’s did it for me but now that they are far away I go to a salon; no way could I do the back of my head or the crown…doesn’t help that I can’t see without glasses either to do the front. Do highlights twice a year.</p>
<p>Thank jym! Don’t forget to let us know how it turns out after you wash you hair. </p>
<p>I do my own, from blonde to blonde. I don’t need to use the whole head application so Ido my own “high lights” by just grabbing a larger chunk or smaller strand (i’m pretty reckless)—no foils. Always over the forehead, and around hairline/ears. I wouldn’t do low lights. The ONLY time I had problems was with ASHY (cool, silvery)…ash is dangerous. The nuetrals or warms not so much to my way of thinking. </p>
<p>As I sit here with a head full of hair dye, I realize why it’s so easy for me now, even as I can’t see as well as I used to. The former owners of this house had a strategically placed mirror opposite the over-the-sink mirror such that you can see the back of your head perfectly. We never took it down because it makes hair styling and coloring so much easier. </p>
<p>I use the Clairol Natural Instincts in one of the reddish colors and try to persuade myself that because it fades away the roots don’t show. It actually sort of does the highlights by itself. I’m getting pretty close to deciding to go for a short haircut and let the gray show - I think it’s gotten to the stage that it would look okay. I’m very lazy where my hair is concerned, and I’ve always hated spending money on it.</p>
<p>Actually most of the current colors (as opposed to say five years ago) are multi-faceted…not just one flat color anymore. </p>
<p>I used a professional product, Nexxus Shades EQ, it is semi-permanent and my hairdresser in our prior town had used it. She gave me the details and I got some through a beauty school family member back when we went on the tuition austerity plan and moved away from that hairdresser. Back then I really did not not need it for anything but that I liked the color tone it added, now I find it makes all the silver hair into my highlights as they take it less than the dark hair.</p>
<p>What I like best is that I can see the beginning of roots in a magnifying mirror and do my hair, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, whenever it needs doing. Also, I like that I can buy the stuff on eBay.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I know this has something to do with hair coloring…right? But what?</p>