Do You Use Your China?

My husband took many things from his parents’ homes. No china sets, but lots of china vases, soup terrines (sp?), figurines, a chocolate set, etc. FINALLY, he’s getting rid of almost all of it.

4 Likes

Not china but…just had to visit etsy and replacements to see what can be done to replenish the small spoons and forks from my silverware set (somehow they disappear with younger son home…). Holy $$ Batman!

My husband offered to just get a whole new set for the money we’d spend for four new forks and spoons but I love the pattern and am not ready to let it go. Oneida Sandhurst why do you have such hold over me?!

1 Like

For those looking to sell flatware, you might try eBay or Etsy. At some point my grandmother gave us one of her flatware sets, but it was “only” service for 8 and we had about 14 place settings. So I looked up the pattern and found a set of 12 on EBay for about $80 or $90. So, certainly far less than my grandmother had paid, but more than what one would get from Goodwill.

I also sold a china set on Craigslist, if that’s still a thing. I think we ended up selling for about $250 or so, so a definite loss, but again, better than nothing (and didn’t need to do shipping).

1 Like

I would use this weekly and put it in the dishwasher. Who are you saving it for? It’s gorgeous… but thrift shops are filled with gorgeous sets of never used dishes.

Use and enjoy!!!

8 Likes

Oh, it’s not the washing, it’s the microwaving. When the boys aren’t home we generally do two “big cooks” per week, then re-heat leftovers for the rest of the dinners. I can’t put that in the microwave with the platinum bands.

Despite that, though, maybe I’ll start pulling it out more. It’s a little awkward to get at, but I’ve got it, I might as well use it.

1 Like

Oh yeah…microwave….sorry I missed that …

One thing I sometimes do (see above, I do “eclectic”) is put just a couple of your “good dishes” that you would like to use more often right in your regular dish cupboard/shelf. Maybe you don’t choose it when you’re having nachos for dinner :smiley:, but if you’re baking a chicken it will be ready and handy to pull out and use instead of your everyday dish.

You’re less likely to use it if it’s not accessible at all. But by putting a few dishes in your at-reach cupboard, you might use more.

9 Likes

Looks like @FallGirl would be happy with @OctoberKate’s gorgeous Lenox Federal Platinum (you could set a stunning table with that). Maybe we should start a CC version of Replacements…

5 Likes

You know…you can warm your food up in a Pyrex container, and put it on those plates that can’t go in the microwave!

11 Likes

I had no idea “plate walls” were a thing in 2023 and apparently are still a thing! That’s one way to use one’s china :laughing:!

3 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve hung plates on several walls.

Above a ledge in a bathroom:

Above cabinets in a kitchen (changing them out seasonally):

As a way to store large platters:

Because I couldn’t use any of those plates in our current house, I made a collage of the blueware on a bathroom wall at my mom’s, which she loves.

In the right place, they can work.

9 Likes

Have you tried eBay?

1 Like

Not a plate wall, but a very charming cup and saucer chandelier in a New England restaurant.

11 Likes

Oh my, that is cute.

2 Likes

I think several of the plate display ideas are quite lovely. But, I still equate displaying plates with a grandma house in New England.

I do have one plate on display in a cabinet (I had a real china closet, but now have a sort of low cabinet with glass doors). It is from a trip to Paris and was never meant to be eaten on (strictly a display item).

2 Likes

Teacups and chandeliers! My two favorite things to look at and drool. :laughing:!

2 Likes

I like a plate in the wall moment - but in a more compact, small way. Here are a couple of examples from home decor people I follow

Plate hangers make it relatively easy to hang them safely.


6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.