<p>OP, I’ve solved your problem:</p>
<p>Liberal use of a club or horse tranq.</p>
<p>Club is cheaper.</p>
<p>OP, I’ve solved your problem:</p>
<p>Liberal use of a club or horse tranq.</p>
<p>Club is cheaper.</p>
<p>MommaJ, Gladgraddad, You are both absolutely correct. When I said especially when he gets to stick his head out of the window I should have further qualified the when he gets to during the times when we drive around our residential area. The two-lane 25 mph roads are nicely paved with tree-lined sidewalks. He actually doesnt stick his head out. It was just easier to write it. My dog actually puts only half of his muzzle out. </p>
<p>As for the debris getting into his eyes, it happens to me too when the car window is down or Im riding in a convertible and the top is down or when I’m on a boat. Debris can also get into our eyes when my H, dog and I walk or jog along the sandy beach or a hilly road on a windy day. I presume my dog just blinks it away the same way I do. Maybe I should invest in one of those doggy goggles.</p>
<p>All we have to do is say “ride” and the dog runs to the door to go with us. I agree with others, try bringing his crate or medication.</p>
<p>Thanks, everyone. Keep 'em coming.</p>
<p>We’re thinking it’s motion sickness. Is there a doggie Dramamine?</p>
<p>Have you had him checked for an ear infection or anything else like that? It might be worth a visit to your vet just to make sure. They can give you a sedative for him too so basically doggie dramamine.</p>
<p>We drove our 13-year-old jack russell 15 hours when we relocated 18 months ago. She loved every moment of it. She loves to ride in the car. </p>
<p>Let’s see. I did pack her crate and drove her in my suv so when we’d stop for a break I’d sometimes put her in the crate and she’d nap. Then she would come out, go potty, have a drink (bring a water dish and water for her) and sit in someone’s lap and watch the fascinating world go by. It was in the summer. I ran the AC but also kept a window down so she could smell the smells. </p>
<p>I know you’re suppose to strap them into a dog seatbelt but mine is traumatized by that.</p>
<p>She came thru the trip really well. Enjoyed it a lot, actually.</p>
<p>Don’t overfeed her!</p>
<p>Well, she’s only about five months old right now. She was adopted from a shelter which checked her out very well; she’s also seen her private physician since then for a checkup. So I’m assuming there is no ear infection or anything else.</p>
<p>Also, DS has done a good job of luring her into the car, praising her in the car, giving her treats after the car, taking her to fun places in the car . . . but she still pukes and poops in the car. </p>
<p>So, I’m thinking motion sickness which she’ll eventually outgrow, but in the meantime, for a 12-hour car ride, she needs doggie Dramamine. I’ll investigate that further.</p>
<p>I think taking dogs places in the car responsibly is a great thing, but the thing I’ve noticed about it is that when I see a dog heavily panting in a car on a warm day, I have no way of knowing how long he’s been in there. Is he panting because he’s overheated or because he’s excited to be in the car? Last year I went to a grocery store and parked next to a truck with a german shepherd hanging out in the front seat. At the time, I thought absolutely nothing of it-- he had a bowl of water, etc. We did it when we had a dog. But when I came back to the store four hours later because I’d forgotten something, the truck hadn’t moved. It turns out an employee of the store had brought him to work with him and left him in the car all day. When I see a dog in a car on a warm day I have no idea if you’re that idiot or if you’ll be back in five minutes. I don’t call the police every time I see a dog in the car but I do wonder, and am not surprised some places have stopped allowing it.</p>
<p>You could probably give her a child’s dose of Benadryl. My vet recommended that when our dog had allergies, but it put her right to sleep.
Some people also like Rescue Remedy.
[Bach</a> Rescue Remedy Dog Cat Flower Essences](<a href=“http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Bach-Rescue-Remedy-Flower-Essences/238000.aspx]Bach”>Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy Natural Stress Relief for Pets | Only Natural Pet)
We had a lab, so there were very few things she didnt like.
![]()
As she got older, she liked to take naps in the car because then she knew she wouldn’t be left behind.</p>
<p>Of my two dogs, one likes car rides, vet or otherwise - never a problem. The other, for whatever reason, and no, not a shelter dog, we’ve had him since a pup - just cries and wimpers and howls as soon as he’s in the car - and I’m talking 1 mile drive to Grandpa’s house. He is a wimp. When he was a puppy he would cry when we took a walk. We have taken them on long car rides thinking “hey how long can he cry? he’ll fall asleep.” Well, he can cry for about 5 hrs. Last trip we did, he got a dose of bendryl recommended by the vet which helped calm him quicker but yeah, tried the thunder shirt too, no help. The vet offered the puppy-prozac - maybe that could help? Some dogs are just nervous - but I have to say - once he got to where we were going, he had a great time. We just had to put up with him for the long ride.</p>
<p>VH, does the pooch ride in a crate or just loose in the car? Our cat barfs every time she is loose in the car but NEVER when she is in a crate.</p>
<p>We always put our cats in the crate, because the only time they went in the car was to go to the vet.
Except one time. Momma kitty ( what my youngest called her) for some reason got into the car once by herself when we were going for fish & chips. We tried to get her out before we left, but she wanted to go. Then when we got there, she jumped out of the car!
It took a few minutes to get her back - but she never did that again.

None of our animals urped, even when on longer rides & I would feed the dog at rest stops. But generally you don’t want to feed them before they get in the car.</p>
<p>Our dog didnt stick her head out the window even when we would have the window rolled down( although if she made a move that way, I would roll it up a bit). However, she would sit up when we would get a few blocks from home - I expect it smelled different( salt air)</p>
<p>You could tie his crate to the roof of the car…</p>
<p>Now that my dear old dog is deaf and losing her teeth and generally kind of miserable I take her for drives frequently. Driving seems to sooth her.</p>
<p>We travel with our dogs but if I had a dog that always pooped/puked, I’d kennel the poor dog instead of subjecting them to long car rides.</p>
<p>We travel with our dogs. We take the 21 hour trip between Florida and our New Jersey home twice a year. I have an SUV and the dogs travel in the seat behind us. We have two great travelers and one Terrible one. We have a dog hammock that attaches to the headrests on the front and back seats. We also put the bad traveler in the crate, which is belted to the seat, taking up one third of the hammock/seat area. The other two dogs sit or sleep comfortably next to the crate. We give our hyper dog petcalm that you can buy at petsmart. It does help. We stop every three hours to exercise and water the dogs. We stop overnight in a pet friendly motel. Last summer the trip north, before we found petcalm, hyperpup cried, howled and barked for 3 put of every 5 hours. The trip south, we were told about petcalm. The pup was much much better and slept most of the trip. We still stopped frequently because our older dogs have arthritis and need the exercise. </p>
<p>We always take baby wipes and a few old towels and a roll of paper towels in the car just in case and buy a few new toys and nylabones for the drive. We give the hyperpup those kongs that you can stash a biscuit inside or some other food puzzle toy to help occupy his waking hours. </p>
<p>Good luck.</p>
<p>seiclan, thanks for that recommendation about PetCalm. I sent it off to DS. We’ll see.</p>
<p>Since there is some time , I would go with the plan of taking the dog on frequent , short , fun trips. My dogs go crazy everytime we use the " R " word. I take them to the end of the street where the school bus picks up my daughter and even that gets them all excited. Sounds like the dog is young enough to get her enthusiastic about it and learn to love car rides . I have been told by my neighbor that they give their dog , who hates the car a benadryl to calm her down ( this is a large dog, so I would check with a vet to see about dosing )</p>