Dreaming of Living in a City Near Trendy Spot and a Marina...Where?

<p>Actually, Catalina Island is quite amazing. I would live there. It’s got everything you’re looking for, and a laid back lifestyle too!</p>

<p>Sorry UC Dad, I was thinking more of OC/LA. I have both lived & worked in Newport and no one walks anywhere, of course, maybe it is possible there are places in walking distance, but none of the ladies who lunch in Newport would choose to walk :wink: </p>

<p>But, too, sun & warm are a big factor in location. I know people who despise the PNW with the clouds & rain & gloom & chill, and yet there are thousands of sailboaters here. I know more boaters in WA than I did in OC as more people can afford to do it. I also know people from OC who hated that life and moved north, so it is very personal. It is waaaay chillier in the north, and it is fall & spring where you notice it most as the mid-50s weather drags on.</p>

<p>

For no apparent reason I just happened to be looking at house/condo prices in Catalina the other day. I agree that it’s an intriguing place - so close to the whole LA area yet completely different with a smaller island feel. </p>

<p>somemom:
Yes - it’s a bit different in those OC/LA areas but one might still be able to get away without driving too much depending on what they like and how much they’re willing to spend. I mentioned downtown San Diego because it’s really changed in the last 25 years or so to an area with a lot of residences, a lot of excellent restaurants, nice marinas, good public transport with the trolley and bus system, and of course, great weather. It’s really possible to do all of what the OP indicated within a short walking distance of one of the downtown condos of which there are no many. Again, I so far would have no desire to live in such an urban environment but if I did, San Diego would probably be around the top of the list because it really is pretty nice.</p>

<p>I used to live in the bay area and scuba dive regularly in the Monterey/Carmel area and can see the appeal of that Monterey/Carmel area but one would really need to be tolerant of the frequently gray skies, relatively cold air temp, and always cold water temps. That goes for from about San Luis Obispo (north of Santa Barbara) all the way north through California, Oregon, Washington, Canada. But as you say, some people are happy with the colder weather and don’t seem to mind the gray skies and never plan on actually going in the water. The cost of housing and boat slip rentals can be a big factor also.</p>

<p>How 'bout Palm Beach County? I love the City Center district of downtown West Palm: Water (lakes) to the west and the east (Intercoastal Waterway), drama, ballet, opera, waterfront amphitheater, offices, shopping, upscale restaurants, marinas galore, trendy, eminently walkable. Or you could pick up a place along the Intercoastal Waterway anywhere south to Boca Raton and moor the boat in the backyard. If you get bored, sail over to the Bahamas or drive down to South Beach.</p>

<p>Boringly perfect weather year-round, breezy, warm, and sunny–except for those occasional pesky hurricanes. :)</p>

<p>Downtown Chicago. Of course it’s damn cold a lot of the time, but during the summer, lovely.</p>

<p>Edmonds, WA
Kirkland, WA</p>

<p>ucsd-ucla-dad, I have to agree that southern CA weather is hard to beat. I have lived in Ventura county. I don’t know San Diego very well, but I’m going to check it out. I do like the high rises you posted–wouldn’t want to pay any more–but they appear to be TINY (why must I dream with reality-based parameters??? Perhaps I’ll dream the Super Lotto numbers… :D). The pictures of the model in the Park Tower one are (all but the one bedroom picture) taken in the same room (kitchen, dining, living, entry). Oh, and having been in southern CA for the Northridge quake and a couple others…high rises just do not appeal in that region of the country. I don’t even like the sway I feel in the high rises in the Windy City.</p>

<p>I love Santa Barbara. The downtown area is great but I’m not familiar with the marina situation–will check it out.</p>

<p>Downtown Chicago…love it. I’ve lived in Chicago too and would definitely go back.</p>

<p>Hurricanes definitely put a damper on waterside living!</p>

<p>Somemom: CITY</p>

<p>Do you want to be rid of your car? Or just drive it less?
Are we talking total fantasy or is cost a consideration? Slip cost might be totally different in different areas. Or even almost impossible to get.
Somemom- I have heard of many Ca residents who keep their boats in the PNW. They fly up in summer and cruise Washington and British Columbia. I think the cost of keeping a boat might be less expensive.</p>

<p>chicago–anywhere along the lake</p>

<p>Would a ocean sailor be happy on a lake?</p>

<p>[Sag</a> Harbor 2007-2008 - a set on Flickr](<a href=“http://www.■■■■■■■■■■/photos/jjlibrary/sets/72157602435476191/]Sag”>Sag Harbor 2007 | Flickr)</p>

<p>Sag Harbor, NY</p>

<p>If you want to spend a day in NYC, you hop on either the LIRR or the Hampton Jitney.</p>

<p>Mom60, I think any of the great lakes would suffice for an ocean sailor. I’ve been scared silly on Lake Michigan.</p>

<p>Belmont Harbor or the north part of Lincoln Park, Chicago.
The waterfront in Boston / Charlestown, MA
The eastern end of Cambridge, MA.
Parts of the west side of NYC.</p>

<p>Marina del Rey</p>

<p>Cape May. Very walkable town. Along the Intracoastal Waterway. Loads of great restaurants and arts events (okay, it’s not really a city…)</p>

<p>Annapolis?</p>

<p>Maine!!</p>

<p>Maine has the longest coastline of any state, including California. And – sorry, Californians, I lived in San Diego – the beaches are prettier here.</p>

<p>Some ‘boat-y’ towns that are so picturesque it will make your teeth hurt:</p>

<p>Boothbay Harbor
[boothbay</a> harbor maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=boothbay%20harbor%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]boothbay”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=boothbay%20harbor%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
Brooklin (many famous writers have boats and holiday getaways there. Ssshhh, don’t tell anyone.)
[brooklin</a> maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=brooklin%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]brooklin”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=brooklin%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
Bar Harbor:
[bar</a> harbor maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=bar%20harbor%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]bar”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=bar%20harbor%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
Wiscasset, “The Prettiest Town in America”:
[wiscasset</a> maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=wiscasset%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]wiscasset”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=wiscasset%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)</p>

<p>Or within a 2-hr drive (or train ride) to Boston:
Ogunquit:
[ogunquit</a> maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=ogunquit%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]ogunquit”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=ogunquit%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
Wells:
[wells</a>, maine - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=wells%2C%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]wells”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=wells%2C%20maine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
Kennebunkport (there’s more to K-port than Bushes!)
[kennebunkport</a> - Google Images](<a href=“http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=kennebunkport&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi]kennebunkport”>http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=kennebunkport&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)</p>

<p>Chicago!!!</p>

<p>

Actually, I was just in Maine on vacation this last summer and went to a number of beaches up as far as Bar Harbor. The beaches were nice enough when it wasn’t raining or cold out but it seemed to usually be one of those. I’d like to spend some more time there exploring some more of it. But I’ll take California beaches any day - preferably San Diego for the decent weather and nice beaches and other parts of California for more scenic beaches albeit also with the issues of the colder weather and colder water. As you can tell I’ve had enough of living in places with cold winters and enjoy living in a place where I can go to the beach almost any day of the year wearing shorts and a t-shirt. </p>

<p>But as they say; “it’s all good”.</p>

<p>Sounds like you’re a future Chicagoan:</p>

<p>[Marina</a> Management :: Marina City](<a href=“http://www.marina-city.com/]Marina”>http://www.marina-city.com/)</p>

<p>(No, they aren’t paying me.)</p>

<p>Maine’s great…I’ve lived there too…but it’s another place I’ll save for visits. The “city” part is non-negotiable! :)</p>

<p>I very well may be a future Chicagoan.</p>