Fordham (34k) [30 minute commute] vs. Macaulay Honors College @Baruch [free tuition, 15-20 min commute] [finance and accounting]

Net Price:

I received the Dean’s Scholarship and another merit award from Fordham. I will also be commuting so my net price comes to around 34k.

For Macaulay, it’s free tuition.

My parents are more than comfortable to cover Fordham as that was where I was planning to attend until I received the offer from Macaulay.

Major:

For both schools, I will major in finance & probably minor in accounting. I also know that there is a 5-year program at Fordham that will let me pursue an MBA as well.

Student preferences:

Fordham Pros: Smaller class sizes, guaranteed internships, ability to go to Bronx or stay in Manhattan, alumni network

Macaulay Pros: free tuition, shorter commute by 10 mins/ idk much about the school but my main concerns are the ability to get a job after graduating, a lot of people have been telling me Macaulay is an amazing feat to get in but I feel like I just know more about Fordham so that’s where I’m leaning towards, but I also don’t want to let go of an amazing offer

1 Like

Tell me more about this ? Is this the Fordham Promise ? Or something else ?

The Fordham Promise uses a singular guarantee and has other subs for internships, like research - just to be clear. I put the description below.

Two great offers. Would you live home for Macaulay too ? Or on campus if home, what’s the commute time for each to campus ?

Congrats to you on your success.

“Through the Fordham Internship Promise, every undergraduate student will have the opportunity to land at least one internship, including research and other experiential learning, gaining real-world experience that top employers seek.”

1 Like

Oops, yeah that’s what I meant, something similar to that.

I would be living off campus in the city so my commute would be 30 minutes to Fordham and 15-20 to Baruch.

Fordham would be one train and Baruch would be one bus or I’d have to transfer trains.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Choose what you prefer.

If you asked my opinion, I’d choose City - not because of the savings although that’s nice.

I believe in going away to college. For you, Fordham isn’t.

I’m not seeing the Fordham Promise as a big thing. Anyone can get research. It’s more spin than anything for those who don’t get internships and likely has some checks and balances - like reporting efforts made.

Not sure which campus you’d attend for City but if they had a dorm, I’d live there. But sounds like you won’t be home no matter the City campus.

Good luck whatever you ultimately decide - which should be the one you want.

1 Like

Honors at Baruch vs. Fordham are two excellent choices - no wrong one since both are within budget.
As suggested above, what id you split the difference and took Baruch Honors+dorm, at least your first year while you gain independence ? Or is that not something of interest?
In any case: Baruch Macaulay Honors will afford you some smaller sections+ extra opportunities (DO take all opportunities wrt socializing w/other Macaulay or alumni, field trips to museums, etc bc those do matter a lot) and is recognized in NYC; however you I’ll have to deal with a lot of red tape and no campus. Vs. Fordham which offers a real campus, a broader education, more social opportunities and a more comfortable setting due to private funding; however unlike Baruch where 99% commutes, some experiences will be offered in the evening and you’ll have to stay or miss them.
Both will have strong alumni network in the city.
A 10 vs. 20mn commute on public transportation is not a significant difference imho.

4 Likes

It isn’t a big deal to me because I’m moving into an apartment with my cousins, so I’d be away from home and the cost is cheaper than dorming. So I’d get my experience, be away from home, and have set roommates who I already get along with.

Yeah, I most likely am concerned with the future and stuff like that. I feel like I’ll probably enjoy Fordham more in the social aspect but I also want to lean towards the school which will set me up better for jobs.

Thank you!

1 Like

I think both will be fine for jobs.

Both schools will have successes and non successes. That part will be up to you.

You’d enjoy Fordham more - but if you go home and there’s night and weekend activities, are you getting back, etc. or staying all day - but then having hours of waiting for the night time thing, etc? Are you eating in the dining halls? Attending sporting events with others? There’s definitely a making friends in the dorm thing - but also making friends in class.

If you would enjoy the campus more, it’s not a bad pick. But it’s still living home.

But as noted - choose the one best for you. Even at Macaulay you’re not in a dorm per se - so that part doesn’t matter I suppose.

The Fordham name - if you left NY - would likely be more well known. Fordham is Jesuit, so you have the religious aspect and strong academic core - if that’s a concern.

Good luck. If you are a go getter, both will allow you to achieve success.

Since both are affordable and your folks are willing to pay, its really a personal preference.

1 Like

Free is good.

MBA is of little value with no post-undergraduate degree work experience of at least 2 to 3 years.

The real value of the 5 year BS/BA/MBA option is that you can remain in school if you do not secure a desired job after finishing your undergraduate work. It is a second chance at on-campus recruiting.

Macaulay places well. No concern in this respect.

Consider Macauley as MBA school might be in your future and the top ranked MBA programs are expensive.

2 Likes

Have you confirmed with Fordham that you will received the same merit award if you do not live on campus?

1 Like