Happy Passover to my CC Friends

<p>I was raised Baptist, but I married into a Jewish family. I'm a pretty decent cook and I cook most holiday meals for the family. The first year I was married, I volunteered to cook for passover but I didn't know exactly what to prepare. So I went out and bought a Jewish cookbook, I followed the recipes and I managed to put together a fairly edible passover dinner. At the end of the dinner I poured everyone a small glass of Mogen David and then served them a slice of cheesecake. Everyone has this puzzled look on thier face but ate the cheesecake.
After the dinner my mother-in-law comes up to me in the kitchen and as usual pinches my cheek and tells me what a mensch I am. Then she asks why I served cheesecake for passover, I replied it is part of the passover meal. Well of course she set me straight and demanded to see the cook book. She looks at the section for passover and sure enough there was the cheescake recipe. Then she looks at the page numbers and discovers the numbers are out of sequence, the pages were stuck together! The cheesecake recipe was for a different Holiday. My mother-in-law was laughing so hard I thought she was having a seizure
I still get teased every passover!</p>

<p>BMoyilan (almosed typed Moyel -- do you get that too???)
Great story!</p>

<p>I just put that apricot kugel in the oven. I am going to put the recipe here because it is relatively easy and is REALLY GOOD-- which isn't always something you say about a passover dish. My friend gave me the recipe 15 yrs ago and I thank her every year. I imagine there are several versions of this recipe, so if anyone has suggestions for how to modify this-- I'd love to hear it!</p>

<p>3 eggs
1/4 c. sugar
2 c matzo farfel, softened in water (just pour water over the broken pieces of matzo until it covers all the matzo)
2 c. cottage cheese
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c melted margarine
1/2 c apricot perserves
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c raisins (softened in water)</p>

<p>Topping:
1/2 c chopped pecans
2 Tbl sugar
1 tsp cinnamon</p>

<p>Beat the eggs until light; mix in the sugar until thick.
Drain whatever excess water there is from the matzo, and drain off the water from the raisins, and mix all the ingredients. Sprinkle the cinnamon/nut mixture over the top.
Put in a greased casserole dish (Use a deep one, not a long rectangular one). Bake at 350 for 45-50' ( may sometimes take a little longer, depending on your dish). It will be like a souffle, and may not be totally firm. The center might be a little gooey, but shouldn't be too wet.
It is sooooo good!</p>

<p>Chag Sameach to all! I have one (and only one!) kugel recipe that
never fails, so I'll post it here.
6 matzos
6 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
4 apples, shredded
1/3 cup o.j.
Cinnamon and sugar mixed together
1/4 cup of margarine</p>

<p>Break the matzo into small pieces. Soak in warm water until soft. Drain. beat eggs. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon. Stir in the matzo. Add raisins, nits and apples. Pour into greased pan (Recipe calls for 9 x 12 pan, but I use a smaller pan.) Pour o.j. on top.
Sprinkle with mixture of cinnamon and sugar (approx. 2/3 sugar to 1/3 cinnamon). Drizzle or dot with margarine. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Happy Pesach to you all!</p>

<p>Have a great Pesach. May it be a time of renewal for you all.</p>

<p>To Tsdad,</p>

<p>Well, I am afraid I have little to suggest since you say you don't cook. I wish I could email you my leftovers! I looked through all my Passover recipes and they all need cooking or at least use a food processor. How about putting a few pieces of gefilte fish on top of that salad? Tuna works too. We eat matzah and charoset all week but the charoset is made in the food processor. Maybe matzah and peanut butter? Fresh fruit with yogurt? Good luck!</p>

<p>tsdad-
My s. figured out that pizza sauce and mozarella cheese microwaved for about 40 seconds on matzo tastes remarkably like his pizza lunchables (which, coincidentally, also tastes like cooked cardboard). My younger s also thinks that it is perfectly ok to subsist on potato chips and french fries during the week of passover. I like your salad idea much better. I also agreee with wish-it-was april. Wish I could ship you the leftovers. But the weight of matzo-cooked products might make the endeavor prohibitive :)
Do they offer much in the UW cafeterias for passover? Surely they'll have a few choices. I used to eat pb&j on matzoh as a kid. Then graduated to egg salad, tuna salad or chicken salad. Oops, I guess those all fall in the "salad" category. If all else fails, you can usually get the Maneschewitz matzoball soup and gefilte fish in the jars pretty cheap at the supermarket once the holiday starts. They don't seem to get that the holiday lasts a week, and the stuff disappears off the shelf pretty quick. Hang in there....</p>

<p>UW has a lot of jewish students from the suburbs of Milwaukee and Chicago. Also, a lot of the students from either coast are often jewish.</p>

<p>You guys are making me hungry. We had to cancel seder plans this year because my kid's grandfather (their dad's father) - is gravely ill, so no one felt like a holiday meal. Even though we are divorced, we usually do the seder together as a family. (I figured out years ago that when you have kids, you can move apart but you never really are "divorced" - at least until the kids are grown). Anyway, given the family situation, no passover for us... though I think I'll go out & buy some gefilte fish. My daughter and I can at least have Passover food to snack on at home.</p>

<p>calmom-
Sorry to hear of your sad situation. My mom passed away just before Purim last year, and everyone brought hamentashen to our house during shivah. If I never see another hamentashen again it will be too soon! We ate those things for weeks! Hope your ex fa-in-law os ok-- our thoughts are with you.</p>

<p>Ok this might be a good thread to get some info on Birthright Israel. D is going to Israel this May through Hillel anyone have any experience or sent their kids? Also she has to go with an Israeli passport and release from military service because My H lived there and served in the army (even though he has been here for 20 yrs and is naturalized US citizen). I am worried about her travelling with both a US and Israeli passport but that is what she needs to do when traveling to Israel ( as well as my other kids).<br>
Any experience with this program and with this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cama</p>

<p>Calmom, So sorry to hear of your kid's grandfather and cancelled seder. My own holidays are so filled with memories of my parents and grandparents that they are always bittersweet. This was really the first year since my dad died that I felt ready to host a big seder, which was always the norm for us. We made a great effort to do things just as my kids remember from when they were little, adding in those things my cousins and I remember from when we were little, as it may be the last one for a while with both kids home.... :( We were three generations including my 90 year old (young!) aunt and it was really great. Even my S who grumbled about spending a Saturday night with - heaven forbid - his parents! - had a great time.</p>

<p>Cama, My D did Birthright a few summers ago and I have nephews that routinely travel with both US and Israeli passports. You can PM me but perhaps a better idea is to start a Birthright thread on the Parent Cafe so others who may want info on this free trip to Israel can get answers to their questions too. My D had a great time. You might also direct questions to the Hillel staff who will be accompanying the trip. At the school my S will attend, they do a Birthright trip every year or so, so your D's Hillel office may have some first hand knowledge gained from taking kids on previous trips - both general info and the passport question.</p>

<p>My nephews carry both, and use the Israeli one to get out of Israel - I think - but I am not exactly sure. I expect your D would do it the same way she or her siblings may have done it or would do it on other trips to Israel. I don't know that Birthright would make a difference to going through passport control....</p>

<p>Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>wish-it -was april,
thanks for the info. Will start a new thread. Just today D got the passport and more importantly the release from military duty.</p>

<p>Cama</p>

<p>I can't wait for S to come home from school and tell me how hard it was to eat matzoh, kugel, and tuna fish at school today. This is the first time Pesach has not been during his spring break. </p>

<p>We are big on portabella mushrooms during Pesach. I always make them for seder (we’re vegetarian).</p>

<p>Dadofsam, it’s easy for a kid to fly home for Yontif when he goes to Brandeis! I think they close for Pesach every year.</p>

<p>Here’s what my S will be eating next year:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bu.edu/hillel/archives/Passover/passmenu.shtml%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.bu.edu/hillel/archives/Passover/passmenu.shtml&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Kinshasa: it's easy for him to be home for Pesach since it coincides wiuth hs spring break, and since Brandeis doesn't re-kasher their kitchen, but he won't have much of a break this year because as soon as he gets back, finals begin. LOL (sorta)</p>

<p>Jym, thank you for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately, my kids' grandfather died early this morning -- we knew the condition ws terminal, and that is why it just wasn't appropriate for there to be a seder in our family. (The doctors had said he had a matter of days or a couple of weeks at most). So the close family members needed to be at his bedside, and those who were not there would not have had any fun anyway. </p>

<p>I don't want to bring everyone down with this message. Of course we are all very sad, but grandparents don't live forever. He was in his late 80's and had cancer. Maybe now that he's passed we'll put together a small, end-of-week seder. That's the nice thing about a holiday that lasts for 8 days (and requires you to drink 4 cups of wine).</p>

<p>I think its 5 glasses, Calmom.
And I understand how you feel</p>

<p>It's 4, bookworm -- see: <a href="http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_passover_4cups.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_passover_4cups.htm&lt;/a> </p>

<p>The 5th cup is for Elijah, who rarely shows up to drink it -- so I must confess that there have been occasions that I finished off Elijah's cup while clearing the table to do the dishes.</p>

<p>calmom-
So sorry to hear of your loss. As the say, your job now is to be there for the living, so being there for your kids during this tough time is important. Please know our thoughts are with you. I am finalizing the plans for my mom's unveiling (in NY they have to wait for the ground to soften to put in the footstone) which brings it all back...</p>

<p>And if I were you, regardless of the Pesach rules,drink as man glasses of wine as you'd like! Just make it the good stuff-- not the Mogen David stuff! :)</p>

<p>oops-- drink as "many" glasses-- not "man" glasses :)
Didn't catch this unti it was too late to edit the post. Freudian slip, I suppose :)</p>