<p>I have seen local stories about Johnson Space Center where 3200 are federal employees while 11,000 are contractors. The contractors are 20% furloughed now but it hits 60% this week and 90% by end of the month. The furloughed are not expected to be paid.</p>
<p>Niece furloughed from her OSHA management job. So much for the security of working for the federal government- one of her job search criteria when her H got out of military and they moved.</p>
<p>Yup. My brand new nephew can’t get a social security number during the shut down. Which means they can’t sign him up for health insurance. Sure hope it’s over before his 30 days to be added are up.</p>
<p>Actually, SS and Medicare will answer phones, I believe. S will be returning to work in the near future to piles of backlog, like many, many others. Our DOH has been told they can’t pay contractors until the shutdown is over and only salaries will be paid, out of special funds if needed.</p>
<p>I’m really sick of this and sadly agree that we are likely to see more of this bad behaviors, including when this pending bill expires in early January–just when holiday bills are coming in!</p>
<p>I have an update on my issue of trying to refinance our home loan in the middle of the shutdown. Part of our income is Social Security Disability and the lender had demanded a letter from Social Security guaranteeing our income for three years. The SSA was shut down and was not providing letters of income.</p>
<p>We were able to get H’s doctor to sign a letter stating permanent disability and it worked! I have no idea how the lender got around the Fannie Mae guideline for the income verification, but our refinance will be closing soon. Hope they don’t turn around now and demand letter from SSA and hold everything up :)</p>