<p>My D3 was hoping to volunteer at the zoo for part of her senior project and now all of that is up in the air. She may have to change her senior project.</p>
<p>My brother is a veteran and his check may endangered if the shutdown continues. He is in the middle of a training program for veterans but it is being paid for by those companies running it, not the government so that is still a go.</p>
<p>Some of my friends might not get funding:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p><a href=“Government Shutdown to Impact Science | The Scientist Magazine®”>Government Shutdown to Impact Science | The Scientist Magazine®;
<p>I’ve come to one great conclusion: when you’re at work, you’d LOVE to be on vacation. When you’re on forced unpaid vacation, you want nothing more than to be at work</p>
<p>I’m so bored</p>
<p>Should I feel safer without the NSA snooping on my calls and emails? </p>
<p>Borrowing from Jay Leno.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Federal employees may be paid retroactively. Contractors who can’t work during the shutdown won’t be.</p>
<p>I’m a contract employee.</p>
<p>The facility I work at is funded in such a way that we are allowed to remain open until our working capital fund is depleted. Employees have been instructed to STRETCH the money - most travel has been eliminated, any supply purchases should be delayed if possible, even utility usage is being closely monitored. Even then, we have about 2-3 weeks until the fund runs out and all non-essential employees will be instructed to stay home.</p>
<p>There are over 5,000 employees here - most contractors, and most non-essential employees. This is a small, rural region and the entire community depends on those incomes. If this shutdown stetches for more than a couple weeks, it will have a DEVESTATING impact to this entire area.</p>
<p>Many of these federal employees that are currently furloughed or may soon be furloughed are still recovering from the impact of the sequester that just took 20% of their salaries. Many individuals depleted their savings during that period and are not prepared to face this current situation.</p>
<p>Government employees who are deemed essential or excepted from the furlough should receive back pay for their work when the situtation is resolved, I don’t expect that employees that are furloughed will receive back pay, but I suppose may be allowed to use leave retroactively?, contractors will NOT be paid for any time furloughed as the companies will not receive payments from the government since services were not provided during that time, contractors should be allowed to use any accured leave they have available, but once it is depleted they will be unpaid. Both government and contract employees that are unpaid are allowed to file for unemployment, the rules vary by state - in some areas they can begin collecting immediately, in others there is a delay before payments are received.</p>
<p>I am a single mother supporting both myslef and my son at school - if this shutdown drags out past a few weeks, then I don’t know what I’ll do. I will struggle with choices like is it more important to pay his rent or my mortgage payment…</p>
<p>In other impacts, I have a rural housing (USDA) loan on my house that I am in the midst of refinancing, but even though the FHA is still working with a short-staff the USDA is not processing any mortgage paperwork right now, so that’s on hold.</p>
<p>Any other comments I have are probably too political…</p>
<p>I know that NIH had to stop taking people into drug studies. 200 immediately, including 20 children. </p>
<p>It isn’t just inconveniences.</p>
<p>I am required by law to fill out a census form for my small business, online. The census bureau including online surveys is shutdown. So right now I have the time to do this – and I don’t even know what info they want – so I can’t even gather the info to put into their stupid survey.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I suspect that snooping on your calls and emails is considered an essential function that must continue despite the shutdown.</p>
<p>My older D is a professional performing artist. She was to perform at a military base in a couple weeks, as her company does every year. This morning she texted that the performance has been postponed until Spring due to the shut down. Any idea why? Other than security (which remains in place despite the shutdown) and an outdoor stage, they really don’t utilize any base resources. And frankly, you’d think the base families could use the entertainment right now… :(</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Answering such question has to be entirely speculative. A good bet is that the shutdown will be the perfect excuse for … what public servants do best.</p>
<p>Only in Washington would you find a sign such as this, brought to us by our friends from the National Park Service and spotted at Lafayette Square accross from the White House this afternoon (and I kid you not):</p>
<p>“Because of the federal government shutdown, this National Park Service area is closed, except for 1st Amendment activities.”</p>
<p>^^^ By the way the tourists and the essentials alike were exercising their rights.</p>
<p>College4K–probably cancelled because support personnel are not available to set up venue and provide support needed for event. Those people won’t be working. </p>
<p>My DH is not working (government worker). Besides lost income, we have have to wonder if he will also lose VA benefits. DS is at school on an ROTC scholarship. That has been funded for the year, but his monthly stipend is at risk and his ROTC training will be effected. This will put he and all other MSIII’s at a disadvantage as they should be preparing for this summer’s leadership training. I’m sure his fall FTX will be cancelled or postponed. </p>
<p>On a lighter side, DS planned to attend this year’s Army/Navy game (couldn’t attend in past due to school requirements). Game has been cancelled.
Hopefully I will be able to get some honey-do’s done while DH is home! :)</p>
<p>WaPo reported today about folks whose shutdown tasks yesterday included shutting down websites, YouTube, FB groups, etc. related to their agencies. That said, I just looked at DH’s agency and their website is still up and running. </p>
<p>I heard that Rock Creek Park was closed on my way in to the dentist this am, but I was able to get onto it from Connecticut Ave. and Woodley Park/Zoo. There was a LOT of traffic – perhaps people figured they’d drive in for lack of traffic. NOT!</p>
<p>Dudedad: saw that sign on WaPo, too.</p>
<p>^ Our local news reported this morning that people attempting to contact their representatives to complain were unable to because their emails and websites were down and their offices not open due to the shutdown. Hmmm…</p>
<p>DH’s office does a lot of contract work for the VA. At this point they are being very careful about any projects they currently have. No meetings at the VA facilities…which means no travel for DH right now…we view that as good news.</p>
<p>I just went to my Representatives website and not only was it up and running but I was able to email him.</p>
<p>College4K, my experience was the same as emilybee’s. I had to contact our Congressman about something, and no problem - got through fine and got a timely response. Not sure what your local news is talking about.</p>