I am a physical therapist who works in a school district and my caseload includes many children who are medically fragile and many who are multiply handicapped. There is an overlapping subsection of kiddos who are both. From your description, it sounds like the kiddos you are working with are also cognitively impaired, perhaps significantly. Are these students in self contained classrooms (not with their same aged, typical peers for most of the day) or included in regular classrooms all day with the support of a paraprofessional? Either way, their academic and related service goals and objectives will all be specified in their Individual Education Plan (IEP). As a substitute, you may or may not have access to IEPs - different school districts I have worked in have different policies regarding this. At any rate, there is a good probablility that the students’ days are well structured with a variety of academic activities and therapies to meet their goals and needs. The paraprofessionals that work with these students will be well acquainted with their routine. It can be very challenging to jump in as a substitute but if you enjoy working with this population of students and are assigned to that classroom frequently, I would suggest a couple of things: talk to the sped teacher on a day you are subbing in another classroom and explain that you’d like to be more involved with the students on the days that you are in their classroom and ask if s/he can give you direction for next time. Also, let the paras and therapists know that you are willing to help out with whatever is needed. I know that I always relish an extra set of hands as it enables me to do some different activities. Not everyone is comfortable working with our more involved students. It can be very intimidating. I’m sure the staff will appreciate your desire to do more.
Physician here who was surprised at the term “medically fragile” being used for severely handicapped- good post # 20 PT person. I had visions of students who perhaps had difficult to control diabetes or other medical issues living away from home (college). Fragility to me means the potential for changes, not stable conditions no matter what the care level required. Good to point out physical, medical and cognitive issues that mean different things in the school setting.
It’s me again. Daughter in Sweden, who was on 30 mg. of Prednizone a few months ago, is being tapered very slowly, and reached 5 mg. today. Able to do gardening, and feeling much better. Former son who was a “guest of the state”, continues to stay out of trouble. Thanks for all the support! No diagnosis yet.
I hope you meant to say: Son, who was former ‘guest of the state’ …
Or did you really mean Former son?
Good news on your DD’s Prednisone taper and feeling better.
Yes YES! He is still my son, and I will be visiting him next week.