Fortunately, knowing the perils allows you to take steps that will minimize the risks.
I have mentioned previously that I had a wonderful menopause. It was completely free of negatives, and it was filled with positives (no more crushing headaches, no more debilitating cramps, no more acne). So no reason to even ask about HRT. I am 20 years past menopause now. Did I miss out on something that could have helped me? I don’t concentrate on that. Instead, I focus on what I can do to support my body properly as I age. Nutrition, targeted exercise, sleep, mental activity … oh, and stress management, which means that I need to remember that I can only control what I can actually control.
I also had a fairly easy menopause, almost 20 years ago ( I know I was lucky). HRT never came up. Now I wonder if I should have asked.
I do try to eat healthy and am active physically and mentally.
Me also. I do try to be healthy in every way I can. My mom did not have HRT and she had a fully functioning mind when she passed away at 89, so I am optimistic.
I made it a year and a half before I said ‘no mas.’ At that time I’d said to a nurse at the oncologist that my finger really hurt (they always ask about pain) but I didn’t think it had anything to do with cancer. Wrong. Anastrozol, used as the hormone blocker, caused trigger finger in two fingers and I just had surgery for those. The body needs estrogen. Turns out trigger finger is a known complication and the intake nurse either didn’t record it in my chart or no one noticed.
The drugs might (have) help me to live longer, but who wants to live with the constant fatigue and (now) loss of use of fingers. Not me.
I consider myself extremely lucky, and am extremely grateful, to have had progressive practitioners. PCOS runs in my family. My periods were never regular until my mid 30’s. Cramping, bloating, constipation were my regular buddies. My mom had a horrible menopause, both physically and emotionally.
I was started on HRT in my early 50’s. The rotational plan - progesterone used based on whether I had a period or not. Progressed to .05 patch 2x week and 200mg micronized progesterone every night before bed. Made a few adjustments along the way - but came back to this regiment.
We are currently traveling. Out of the blue my knees started to hurt. They have gotten sore from lots of extra walking and Dubrovnik level stair climbing, but this was different. This was joint pain. Lo and behold my dear patch had fallen off (probably within hours of putting it on). Yup, the effect was that fast. New patch - pain gone.
From the info I’ve come across, including a presentation given by one of the reviewers of the original WHI hormone study, a disservice has been done to us for the past 20+ years. Thankfully, better studies, better info and most importantly the ‘menopause moment’ currently happening is helping some of us, and hopefully all women in the future.
I’ve been on HRT for over 10 years and it is life changing- no more night sweats, fewer migraines (that can be managed with a triptan), joint pain managed, etc. For the first time in 10 years my patch fell off twice in the past few weeks. I called the pharmacy and they said there hasn’t been a recall on that serial # and advised I call the manufacturer (Anmil Pharma). I was on the phone for over an hour answering the same questions over and over and had no success getting the patches replaced. I wonder if they recently changed the adhesive?
I’m on the Mylan version. The only one that apparently works (tried Dottie and Sandoz and symptoms came back). In this case I think the patch fell off due to a lot of sweating and swimming. I also cut them in half becasue 1 mg is cheaper than 2x .05. The cut half wasn’t stored as well as it usually is at home. But the effect was clear.
I am currently off my HRT. I had been having some bleeding and had an ultrasound last week. My lining is thicker than they like to see. I’m seeing a gynecologist later this week and will have a biopsy. I’m hoping I get the go ahead to go back on. I had been back on HRT about 6 months when the bleeding started.
I had a fairly easy menopause at 47, and menopause cured me of migraines and cramps. I opted not to do any HRT and I am sure my brain (and skin!) have suffered. Feels too late to start now, 19 years later….
Following this discussion after a conversation with a couple of friends, long past menopause, who recently turned to HRT as part of their solution to bone and heart health issues. As falls (and the follow on from them) are one of the greatest risks to women’s lives, this seemed worth considering. Bone health was pretty central to all of their decisions.
It does seem to me that different docs also view or present ostopenia/osteoporosis differently, from “this is reversible” to "this is inevitable ", so the approach to addressing it ranges pretty widely, with HRT finding its way into that conversation.
So here’s a question: how many of your docs have suggested HRT for bone health reasons?
I have done a lot of reading on HRT for bone health, and the consensus seems to be that it’s very helpful. But there does seem to be a window of opportunity after the onset of menopause during which it is most effective. I discussed it with my doctor, who happens to specialize in bio identical hormones. She said that HRT can be a good thing for many women. She doesn’t recommend it for me. She said that it may have been wise 20 years ago for me, but it also would not have been prescribed for me then (given the views on HRT at that time), especially in the absence of any “symptoms.” She doesn’t feel that it will be helpful now for my bone health, and because I have no other issues, she doesn’t recommend it for me. Every situation is different, of course.
Well, dang. Costco is out of Dotti patches and any equivalents thereof. Dang. Nationwide shortage hit Costco, finally. Have to message my doctor to figure out what to do.
I had to go on a once-a-week patch. I’m not a fan. They are larger. I have been given two different manufacturers. On one the adhesive isn’t as strong and it isn’t clear. I don’t get to choose a brand - I get what I get. Now, the adhesive issue may be because it’s ridiculously hot now, so I’m sweating when I’m running.
I’ve read the Dotti shortage is world-wide, and it will take a very long time to ramp up production. Walgreen’s has not had them for three months.
@HImom , same here. But friends in other zip codes, just like us, have gotten that recommendation. One moved from NC, where apparently HRT was the norm, to CA, where her doctor asked why the heck she was on HRT.
So at least in my circle of friends (not in my zip code), this is now being added to the list of questions to bring to the annual exam.
It’s a shame how uninformed most OBGYNs and others in health care are about women’s health and HRT, and especially how many thousands of women have missed out on potential benefits and relief over the past 25 years. I’ve brought up hormones a few times with my OBGYN (very respected in my city) and she dismissed it because I was still having my period. However, from researching what the experts in the field say, that wasn’t great advice. I also asked at my most recent visit about testosterone (because my younger sister is taking it), and she said she didn’t like it because it is a male hormone.
Since I have some mostly mild symptoms and I don’t want to miss out on my window to have hormones benefit my bones, I’m getting started with a couple of things. However, when I took progesterone for a couple of months I gained a few pounds and wasn’t too happy about that. Also, I still have a monthly period and I’m almost 59.