I used United Healthcare for over 20 years (switched this year but the change wasn’t related to the quality of service) and never had any issues including with dermatology prescriptions. I am in New England so it may vary by region.
@doschicos – I am in New England also…well, if you consider SW CT to be New England!
They have denied two or three drugs fully (cannot appeal…simply not on their formulary) and a few others have required doctor’s intervention to appeal. Anthem covered all of these drugs as of late last year.
Another drug (non-derm) took so long for approval, that I had to fill before the approval came through. They have refused to reimburse me the $350 I paid out of pocket, even though they approved a six month RX two days after I filled and paid cash.
They have processed claims incorrectly. I have received different answers from different reps on same question. Overall unhappy.
It may just be that we are in a ‘bad’ plan or poor claim office, as I realize there is HUGE variation in plans and level of service.
We have our own branch of BCBS that is related to Anthem but a near monopoly in HI. I have mostly been happy with it, but every time I find someone to help me through problems, they leave the company–retire or transfer or something and then I have to find someone else to help me through the little snags. When I am politely persistent, I do eventually get compensated, so I am not complaining too much. I wish they compensated the providers a bit better and would be willing to pay more. I end up giving my providers gifts.
I am thrilled that our BCBS allows us to go to other providers outside our geographical area and cover them as if they were in our state, if they are in-network with BCBS, no prior authorization or pre-approval needed!
“well, if you consider SW CT to be New England!” hmmm, questionable. 
My experience is several years old now so perhaps things changed. I also would guess that there might be different levels of UHC plans. Mine was through a very large company and was actually self-insurance administered through UHC and I think it was a “good” plan. Perhaps that made them more generous/better claims office. Never thought it would vary so much within one insurance company.
Thanks for all the info. We’ve been happy with BCBS, sounds like no reason to change.
How about Major Medical? Is that the same as BCBS?
Regarding 4% withdrawal rate on retirement funds. Sadly, even the article you linked suggested that today’s rate might be more like 3%.
^That’s not how I read the graph at all. Even after 40 years, there is a 90% chance of having the entire inflation-adjusted balance remaining. Even if you retire at age 30, the balance is extremely likely to remain. One could draw down the balance until age 100. Of course, this doesn’t even take into account social security or retiring at an age past 30. I’ll stick with my statement.
@dadof1, I don’t have a dog in this fight, and my heirs will be delighted if it turns out that I’ve unnecessarily limited my drawdowns, but along with a lot of discussion of the Trinity Study at Bogleheads, is this quote
ETA: I re-read this and want to point out that our kids want us spend every nickel and bounce the check for cremation.
@dadof1 Page 2 column one. Bottom paragraph of your link.
But I hope you are right. I really do.
Our BCBS has a cap as to how much we pay for copays to in network providers per calendar year. Once you reach that per person or family, insurer pays 100% for all in network charges for the remainder of the calendar year. We’ve reached that a few times and will reach it agin for me this month. Not clear if it will pay 100% of our Rx copays but will find that out soon as well. Our policy has no lifetime maximum.
Does your BCBS replace medicare B?
H has Medicare B and BCBS. Medicare is primary and BCBS pays any copay. I am too young and able to have Medicare, as is D. Some folks who have our insurance opt not to get Medicare B (since our BCBS plan is so good), but we have both for H because we’re risk averse.
So back to the retirement $ question, DH and I considered, briefly, purchasing a rental property in an area not too terribly far from our kids, and we could use in off season, but beside the fact that I don’t think I want the hassle or having people in our stuff,it then generates a business, with taxes, etc in a high tax state. How have you folks who live in one state (with state tax) and own property/a business in another state, handled that, and the tax implications, in your retirement calculations?
John Oliver had an entertaining look at Financial Analysts, 401k fees, the Fiduciary rule, etc. at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY
That doesn’t look like a response to my question 
We only have assets in HI, other than a piece of undeveloped land in CA that has a low value. Still, I’d assume you would just file and pay taxes in your home state, as well as the state where you’re generating rental income.
:))
Decades ago, my first wife and I owned a cabin in West Virginia. When we lived near DC, it was a good place to go for weekends. We moved and rented it out. It was such a PITA, with squatters (mistakenly referred to as renters in the lease) abusing the property, that I swore that I’d burn it to the ground before renting it out again.
Well, that link was …awesome! Thanks for sharing. Glad I watched it to the end.
Very few if any seasonal rentals make a profit on a tax basis, unless you pay cash for it. If you can take the write-off, it could lower your taxes.
Very few seasonal rentals make a profit on a cash flow basis, which means you will be spending money on it every month. That can severely impact your income. You’d probably be better off just renting a place for the time you want to be there.
You need actual numbers, though, there can be a pretty wide range depending on many things like location, condition, etc.