Yes, he is definitely maxing out his Roth, @1214mom, but he’s got a lot more just sitting there…getting seven cents a year interest 
One word for today: OUCH!
Sorry I looked!
Here’s another word for today: SALE!
I’m always of two minds on a RBD (Really Bad Day). A veteran poster on Bogleheads always says to go in right after RBDs. I don’t do that, but I also don’t back off on whatever I was intending to do.
Fwiw, we just got a big check with DW’s cash balance pension buyout. It arrived at Vanguard today. No change in plans.
I went in on the last RBD - Brexit. Paid off well.
I made a lot when the market tanked back in 2009. Great time to buy disney for cheap. And Apple.
I’d prefer not to repeat that period though. 
$2 million USD and a house owned outright, ideally by age 50. That’s the plan at least–we’ll see if I can hold out that long, though. On track so far.
@marvin100 – do you think that will be enough? Will you live in a low cost area? Not being snarky…truly curious.
$2M investable (I assume, not net worth) with a safe withdrawal rate of 2-3% can last a long time, but it can be tough if you are accustomed to an income that lets you accumulate that much. It’s a long time to SS and pensions if you retire at 50. I lived in Mississippi for a while (the longest 6 months of my life), and my so-so DC comp let me live like a king. Location, location, location.
@IxnayBob , curious which Vanguard fund your wife chose.
@dragonmom, she leaves that up to me, as much as I try to involve her (TL;DR version: she makes the money, I manage it
). In keeping with our overall portfolio, it will be 50% TSM (total stock market) and 50% TBM (total bond market). Simple.
So much depends on COL, as well as sources of income. Once those are ironed out, things are much clearer.
Don’t really know, honestly. I don’t have kids and don’t have any expensive lifestyle habits, so that will help. Right now I live in a very high cost area (Seoul), but I don’t expect to retire here.
I would love to retire in about 5 - 9 years. The earliest would be when H becomes Medicare eligible and the latest would be when S17 has his own health insurance. I would like to have at least $1M between mine and H’s retirement accounts at that point. I have 2 pensions coming to me but H has none because he is self-employed. We are both eligible for SS when we are old enough. I may have H take his at 62 since he still can’t stop talking about how his dad died at 64 years, 11 months and 9 days and never got a penny of SS! and the poor man has been gone over 30 years now.
In addition, we own our home which I would like to sell in about 3 years but which H would like to live in till he dies. I would probably owe about $100K on it at that point. If we sell it, I would be able to afford to retire sooner because it literally costs about 50% of my income to support this house. H’s attitude is a huge bone of contention between us because I can’t wait to never see snow again, even on TV, plus I would love to be able to travel and buy clothing somewhere other than k-mart. We own a second home outright and I would keep this one to spend all year but winter in. The taxes are lower and since it’s a smaller house, the upkeep would be less as well. We are going to inherit my mil’s house when she no longer needs it, but, thankfully, she is in relatively good health mentally and physically and will, hopefully, live many more years.
I also inherited some money from my aunt, some of which I am using to supplement college savings and the rest of which is currently invested at 8%.
I have told H that if he agrees to sell the house, we can buy a nice RV and travel around in it. That is his dream… I am willing to tolerate it in exchange for never seeing snow again.
H and I don’t have expensive habits and when we no longer pay for the kids’ cell phones and cars, college tuition, medical bills and the like, we should have some discretionary income. I would like to travel but H is plane phobic.
I will retire when I am 83. 
@marvin100 Without kids and depending on location/lifestyle, it will be doable IMO.
Good to hear, @doschicos ! I’m just now starting to even think about retirement (I had $10 to my name at age 35, but it’s been a good 8 years since then), so who knows what will happen; my thoughts are very preliminary haha.
Of course, the more you save the better but my guess is you are living below your income now if you’ve been able to put aside a good chunk to accumulate some $. You can find retirement calculators on line to play around with.
@marvin100, it might be worth working a couple of more years so you won’t have to live in Mississippi. 