^^ Well I’m hoping my husband did it right. I was a little concerned about the fact that it was gas. But the electric heaters seem a lot easier. As far as climbing on a roof, my parents reroofed their house awhile ago. Hanging upside down, strapped on with ropes. My dad was in his early eighties then. My husband helped for a few days and got aggravated…first because my mom was always yelling at my dad (she didn’t like doing it), and they refused to use a nail gun and had to hammer each one in individually.
I can see us doing that in our eighties, but with a nail gun. And we have a flat roof so it’s pretty safe. Hopefully resale won’t be a factor for a very long time, in fact, we’d need to replace it a couple of times by then.
I’d also be cautious about letting roof maintenance go. Water damage can lead to bug issues, at least in my area. And you don’t want that. My unasked for advice - I know it is a big expense and something no one enjoys spending $ on but make sure you’re not being “penny wise and pound foolish”.
Yeah, deb, when it comes to home maintenance, since I don’t do most of it, I figure I don’t have a leg to stand on. He does let me win on the things that are important to me, quite often, so it works.
We hire others to do major things and H does the rest–at the pace he decides. Makes me crazy but he won’t let me hire help because they don’t meet his exacting standards. He does a great job–when he gets to it.
Just found this thread and instead of reading all 729 pages, I’m starting at the end and going backwards.
On April 28 or thereabouts, people were discussing traveling with kids, etc. I heard somewhere a few years ago “Don’t buy your kids things, buy them experiences.” We don’t do outlandish vacations but they do appreciate traveling. When DS age 15 was only 9, we did an Alaskan cruise – which he talks about to this day – and he ate squid. I wouldn’t eat it, but he did. That’s just another part of “buying experiences” – exposing them to different cultures, food, etc.
@cgpm59, but you missed a big experience to give your son: watching a parent eat something for the first time! Fwiw, squid is a great food, try it sometime. Welcome to the thread. Do you have a life, or what’s your excuse for not reading 729 pages? :))
@BunsenBurner -interesting question about being scared to kick the bucket.
I’m not sure. I don’t want to be in a lot of pain for a long time, and I don’t want to cause my loved ones too much work caring for me.
A similar question - what to we feel like we need to do or accomplish before we retire, or before we die?
I have to say getting on a roof, or on a ladder to fix a gutter can be life changing. An older guy from our church did it on their house and fell from the ladder. He was diabetic with other medical conditions, and within 6 months he died.
When one gets to a certain age, one has to weigh out risk/benefit. QOL. Paying for things to get done.
I’m curious: who’s budgeting for the likelihood of living a long time (into one’s 80s or 90s), being increasingly frail, possibly developing dementia (one-third of people over age 85), and spending some amount of time in a nursing home at the very end of life?
Well, got 76%; guess I have to read the questions more carefully. Interesting quiz and scary to read how many people get so much of it wrong!
I suspect I may likely live to be 100 or so, seeing that my folks are still around in late 80s and early 90s. H and I will not run out of money under all scenarios we and the gloomy FAdvisors could conjure, so we should be ok.