I am eager to move, but H - not so much. I keep telling myself that living here is fine but it’s increasingly hard to convince myself of that! We’ve scouted several locations but haven’t been able to agree on anything. Perhaps marriage counseling should be the next step!
I know I don’t want a mortgage. I can’t sell until the spring so I can get the capital gains exclusion and really, spring and summer is the time to sell (at least around here). I’d like a community in Florida or Arizona, but on a practical level we need to be closer to D. I think H would stay here for eternity.
For the past two years I’ve been saying we’re going to downsize/move in the next 2-5 years. Also have a reluctant H. We’re youngish retirees so we do have time to see if we can agree on a location.
I think it’s really common for there to be some disagreement on location.
I know my dad wanted to move to a more temperate area, my mom wanted to stay close to family. My dad won that argument, my mom was unhappy but got used to it after a decade lol!
Some people like change, some dislike any change.
I think we see it a lot in parents helping parents as far as a move to independent living or moving closer to their children.
We did a major downsize and moved to Florida. Did one upsize while there (935 sq ft to 1,650 sq ft). Loved our time there (I’m a Florida native). However, we later made the decision to move back to dh’s home state of Arkansas. Upsized to 1,900 sq ft. We knew that was a placeholder since all bedrooms were upstairs. Have recently upsized again to 2,300 sq ft single family home. Looked at a condo in our original Florida building while back down there on vacation this week. We decided to pass (too $$ for the amount of work it needs), but we continue to talk about re-buying a second place there.
All that to say that dh and I have moved a lot during our 37 years of marriage. I never view any home purchase as our, “last.” You just never know. Nothing has to be permanent. If you move or downsize and hate it, just do something else.
I fell in love with the house we live in now, but we bought it knowing it is not a forever home. We were looking at staying in it maybe 10 years but now that I am alone, I’m planning to sell next year and get a rental apartment.
We moved a lot, especially in our first years of marriage so I don’t get too emotionally invested in a house. I think it harder for someone who has been in one place for decades.
We moved 5 times in our married life. Apartments and houses we owned. No tears shed every time we moved. Although Mr. B likes this place so much he says his plan is to die in this house. If he continues his woodland adventures with a chainsaw, his wish could be self-granted sooner. I need to put a kibosh on this activity.
Same with my DH and his power tools. His table saw decided to kick him in the stomach a couple of weeks ago. It could have been a lot worse than it was.
I’m with you, but not until he finishes a couple more projects.
With Grandparents Day today, we were on a video call. 3 YO GD2 looks just like 8 YO GD1 did at that age. 1 1/2 YO GD3 was in mom’s lap and was the best one The Packer football game was on and the older kids were all ‘wild’ (8 YO GD1, 7 YO GS1, 5 YO GS2) - but it is so hot outside for them that they can’t let off steam running around in their backyard. I told DD1 that I would have enjoyed helping her out if I was there Depending on SIL’s leave time with his new job, we don’t know if they will make it to Thanksgiving in FL, but we will be with them Christmas through New Year’s - we drive to them and stay with them.
Some friends just moved after living here 17 years - they had moved a lot with Army. This move for them was difficult because they have been here so long and also moving themselves so downsized on some of their stuff. Their only child started college, and they chose to move close to her and also close to the family that is in that general area (and where they are originally from). They moved into a rent house - either they couldn’t find exactly what they wanted, or they were not 100% sure about living in that community. I think the mom just had too many emotions going on. They moved back into an area where they will have a ‘real’ winter/snow and cold. Our area (north AL) has very moderate winter - annual snowfall is 2" but typically we have none and then we have a ‘snowstorm’ or ice, which shuts things down but they are better now at handling snow and ice - they learned from TN who managed better at our last snow/ice (got the right equipment).
I have to pace myself with getting rid of stuff. Lots of stuff.
We recently spent some time with our friends who are our age early 50s. The wife of the couple has parents that moved to the Villages maybe 8-10 years ago. They love it. They both took up golf and play plenty. The wife is active in the community making friends. But she told her daughter an interesting story.
Many couples move down there. Oftentimes the husband passes first of the couple. Then the wife will move back to be close with family. It seems as if the main driver of the decision to move to FL was the husband. Her Mom told her that she has lost many friends who moved back.
My parents lived in The Villages. The main driver of the move was my dad, but my mom ended up loving it. Mom died first, and Dad’s health declined after a year or so. We were in the process of trying to talk him into moving back north when he died … he wasn’t interested in dating, and he wasn’t really doing much other than talking with his neighbors. After he died, his closest neighbors moved back north to live near their kids … they saw firsthand how hard it was on our family as our parents got sick, and they decided to be near their kids before the proverbial stuff hit the fan.
Wow, 14 days without a post, must be some kind of record!
Had our biannual meeting with our financial advisor. We weren’t going to schedule it but they email and call so we did. Didn’t have too much to say so it was short and sweet.
One thing he said kinda surprised me. We are doing a major remodel of our primary bathroom. A complete gut. He told us to take out the entire amount we are going to spend now. Not later but right now. His reasons were a bit unclear but it seems as if he is uncertain that there might be volatility from now until after the election. The construction hasn’t started yet and we hope will be completed by the end of the year. Love our contractor but she’s a bit scattered. She’s also an amazing tiler so we are happy to let her be. A real artisan
We didn’t really question him much, my husband said it didn’t really register with him.
I think most financial guidance is that if you have short term needs, always better to pull out early.
Hence retirement plans that are age based take their equity base way down as they close in on retirement age.
Same with the 529 plans - near the end, they’re mainly in bonds and money markets.
So by pulling now, you avoid any risk of a downturn.
Given inflation and bond yields through the roof (a wonderful time for anyone who wants to buy bonds - btw) - there could be a collapse or shock at any time.
Yes, the economy is growing but there are so many things working against the market, it doesn’t mean we will see a shock but it would not be unexpected.
The markets are usually volatile leading up to the mid-terms. Then really no matter who wins the market comes back after the certainty is set in. Nothing political at all. Doesn’t matter if there is a flip or not. Probably why the FA suggested to take out the funds now.
I think some of it is to have clear accounting of ‘home improvement’ towards any gains on the house when you do end up selling. Also, it might be lower stress to have the money set aside as you complete your project.
We do keep our FA updated with our anticipated big spends (cars, renovatins, big family vacations etc). It helps him plan the investment strategy as well as tax picture.
For a few years it was also a factor while planning our Roth rollers, to ensure not hitting unanticipated tax/IRMAA pain. When unsure, we’d do on Roth rollover midyear and then defer a second one til December when we knew more.
I talk to my FA about all of my financial issues as well. Among other things, he knows all about my plans to sell my house next year and rent an apartment.