I live on a farm in a rural area but I am looking for a cozy, diverse 4-year w/men wrestling [MD resident, 3.8 GPA, 1300 SAT, need full ride]

I think they are long gone. But I don’t understand how anyone with those stats could be academically successful at a Williams-level school. Sounds like a lot stress!

ETA: I absolutely didn’t mean for this to sound rude! I was more pondering… I wouldn’t want any kid to get in over their head and feel bad because they were out of their element. (And I have seem kids be pretty unrealistic - and parents too.)

But as I mentioned, I know nothing about how athletic recruiting works. Thank you @cinnamon1212 for explaining what the pre-reads do!

I am sure you don’t mean that to sound rude, but it can be read that way.

I knew a soccer player who got into Williams with a 3.4 gpa. And did fine. Williams’ admissions (and the other schools) are pretty good at figuring out who will do well and who will struggle. That’s what prereads are for.

1 Like

Oh, I did not mean to be rude. Thanks for letting me know. I was more pondering… I would hate to see any kid get in over their head. I will update my post. Thanks!

1 Like

And I know an athlete currently at Hopkins with probably less than a 3.4 hs GPA. He’s not in pre-med or a STEM.

Stanford also has many athletes who got in with an athletic boost. Doesn’t mean they aren’t college material, just that they may need to pick a major carefully and accept all academic help offered.

The students from my kid’s school who are going to Stanford this year are all hooked (two athletes, one double legacy) but they are also all top students, two with a 4.0 GPA and the third just below that, and all studying STEM subjects. Just fyi, I realize this varies by college, and certainly some of our other hooked applicants to top schools have lower stats.