The times I believe I had flu, I felt perfectly fine and then felt just awful and terribly weak. I was able to start Tamiflu promptly and it really worked right away. My doc told me to start the Tamiflu even tho no confirming tests I had it. (Once it was New Year’s Eve & once I was on neighbor island and they didn’t gave urgent care clinics nearby.)
I heard today that Moderna’s mRNA flu vaccine received FDA approval for ages 50 and older, instead of the original age range of 50-64. mFLUSIVA could now be an alternative to the high dose flu shot.
Do you know when it will be available, especially for people 65+?
Considering the regular flu shot seems to be the only vaccine I can handle anymore without 1-2 weeks of side effects, I’ll probably stick with the old version for now. But good to have options.
My doc generally wants me to get flu shot in Oct it will last entire season/year.
Here are the flu vaccines available for 2026-2027:
| Manufacturer | Trade Name | Age range | Type |
|---|---|---|---|
| AstraZeneca | FluMist (LAIV3) | 2-49 | Live attenuated nasal spray |
| GSK | Fluarix (IIV3) | 0.5+ | Inactivated, egg based |
| GSK | FluLaval (IIV3) | 0.5+ | Inactivated, egg based |
| Moderna | mFlusiva | 50+ | mRNA |
| Sanofi | Flublok (RIV3) | 9+ | Recombinant hemagglutinin, 3x antigen |
| Sanofi | Fluzone (IIV3) | 0.5+ | Inactivated, egg based |
| Sanofi | Fluzone High-Dose (HD-IIV3) | 65+ | Inactivated, egg based, 4x antigen |
| CSL Sequirus | Fluad (aIIV3) | 65+ | Inactivated, egg based, adjuvanted |
| CSL Sequirus | Flucelvax (ccIIV3) | 0.5+ | Inactivated, dog cell based |
In various trials and studies, mFlusiva, FluBlok, Fluzone High-Dose, and Fluad have been found to be more effective (typically by around 30%) against flu in older adults than the usual (IIV3) vaccines.
People with egg allergies can look for non-egg vaccines, which are readily available (Flucelvax is commonly found at Costco, and mFlusiva and Flublok are non-egg based options for older adults wanting the stronger vaccines).
The targeted flu strains for the 2026-2027 season:
Note that flu vaccines have been trivalent rather than quadrivalent since a few years ago, due to one of the targeted influenza B strains going extinct due to COVID-19 related measures (social distancing, masking, reduction of indoor activities, etc.) being effective against influenza.