Intellectual advises students not to take college jobs. Do you agree?

<p>What kind of spoilt childhood did Sowell have? </p>

<p>My single mother can’t afford to fund most of my living expenses. And schools don’t grant loans for many living expenses.</p>

<p>****ing ignorant dolt</p>

<p>of course I want to maximise my downtime too. and I need work experience so I can get into progressively more and more ambitious internships and jobs … and it also makes you attractive to summer employers.</p>

<p>(19 credit hours and an 18/hr job wooohooo…)</p>

<p>The thing is you can do homework on the job. If your employer allows you to, while you sit at the counter, do your lab report or textbook reading while waiting for customers.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Apparently, very spoiled. I really think that you’re overreacting to this article, though I see what you’re getting at with the stuff about work experience. </p>

<p>I guess I just felt prompted to bring that up since I always enjoy Thomas Sowell’s column, and calling him a “****ing ignorant dolt” doesn’t help you make your case.</p>

<p>“What kind of spoilt childhood did Sowell have?
My single mother can’t afford to fund most of my living expenses. And schools don’t grant loans for many living expenses.
****ing ignorant dolt”</p>

<p>boo hoo, sad for u. obviously, u were the ignorant one about his early life^. & even if u weren’t, just because some kid’s parents <em>can</em> pay for their living expenses [which is what u were assuming], doesn’t make them an assh*le. miserable prick.</p>

<p>I think you NEED some kind of work experience. No matter rich or poor, job experience HELPS in that job you get out of college. Definitely don’t work too many hours a week - pay attention to your school work, but jobs can definitely help.</p>

<p>internships that relate to your major are probably a better choice than jobs.</p>

<p>but if you need the money, go for it.</p>

<p>for those of you who don’t work: what do you do for spending money? I get that many people’s parents are paying room/board/meal plan so they don’t have to worry about that, but what about buying everyday utilities or going out?</p>

<p>my job (part time babysitter) isn’t related to my major at all, but it pays a lot more than on-campus jobs…and I don’t think I could get a job related to my major, but I’ve had research internships in the field.</p>

<p>well i live at home so my parents give me a few dollars for chores around the house, babysitting my brother, etc.</p>

<p>i’m guessing parents whose kids are away are a little less open with cash</p>

<p>I’m very well off (def. no FA for college at all) and planning to double major in two fairly difficult majors at a rigorous, grade deflated college. Should I take a job for job experience?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t know how common this is, but at UCLA the listed price is several thousand dollars over most people’s tuition + housing. This means that in some (many?) cases it’s possible to use subsidized loans (offered as part of the financial aid package) for spending money.</p>