Interview Dilemna

I’d respond asap to that email since it’s now about 5 days old (say that you were traveling during the holidays or whatever) and I’d find a time to make it work…she’s applied to only one school, yes? She should put everything into it.

The issue isn’t replying to the e-mail it is a last minute interview. Responding that there isn’t time does not seem like a good idea. I don’t think there is any issue with getting accepted to this school. Interviews are not required. So I don’t personally think it is a good use of time. Yes lots of criticism on mention of lack of time. @blossom my daughter is a musician and her recitals and concerts are important as they are recorded for auditions. They are all hers -six or seven of them in the first two weeks of December. -Her grades are important for scholarship money. We aren’t making any cookies here!
@SouthernHope She is applying to 15 schools to maximize merit opportunities.

I would have her respond ASAP and ask if she could set up a 20 minute phone interview, given her very hectic schedule.

Just be aware sometimes kids don’t get into schools they thought were safeties for just this sort of reason. Personally I wouldn’t risk it.

Most early action interviews are last minute as the timeline between application and decision is short. Most schools care a lot about yield, so even if she is a match stats-wise, declining an interview does say a lot about her lack of interest in the school. If you really want this as,a safety, make the time. Miss one class. Or be prepared to drop this as a safety, which is fine too. It is likely interview reports are due before Dec 3

Thanks all. Will have her respond and see what works best.

^^^I agree with @suzy100 100%. Wow, I’m flabbergasted.

Holy hubris, Batman! If the Pope or President can make a phone call or take a meeting, your D can to too!

Interviews are not required.

My guess is that half the things in your D’s application are not required- AP Chem? Advanced whatever? Not required. But all good to have, all things being equal. A strong application puts your best foot forward. And responding to emails from admissions- even from colleges which you consider to be rock bottom safeties “a dolphin could get admitted to this school”-- that’s called putting your best foot forward.

The point is that if the college is making an interview available, your D should be prepared to be moderately cooperative in making it happen.

Skip a dialysis appointment? No. Be late for a music rehearsal- after letting the director/conductor know that she has a college interview so will be half an hour late? Yes. That’s moderately cooperative. Stay up until 3 am the night before a big performance so she can squeeze in an interview in the early evening? No. Get an excused absence for gym class so she can interview? yes.

Not seeing how busy a HS kid might be compared to the person actually doing the interview. Who is likely squeezing your D into a full time job plus every other obligation this person might have.

Thanks for all your support. Trying to take some stress off my kiddo but whatever. She did not request an interview.

I think she should interview, I too have a musician and understand the time constraints.

If it’s a safety, then she should be able to politely decline the interview with no consequence. Otherwise it is not a safety and she needs another safety.

It’s not just an hour or 20 minutes, is it? It’s having to prepare for the interview as well. It’s where knowing your kid is what’s most important, if they’re so stressed with everything going on this holiday season, maybe not interviewing is OK.

We had musician kids here too…with very busy schedules with concerts. One was also on the swim team which also was on during December.

The kid still found time to do a phone interview with a School who contacted her.

Is this kid auditioning as a music major? If so…she is applying to too many colleges.

Don’t mean any offense- I don’t feel like I am asking advice for time management advice here. We have some challenges other families don’t have and I don’t want to share them in this particular forum. The interviewer did not offer a phone or skype interview as of yet. My D did respond though.

A few schools for music (giving it her best shot) the rest are LACs. It’s not the best scenario but a bit of a compromise.

It will all work out.

I think, if possible, provide some times she could make herself available (be it phone or face to face). If the school contacts one for an interview? Not interviewing may reflect poorly. If she wasn’t contacted and there was no interview that is different. But since she was contacted it puts her in the unfortunate position of either having a very good reason why she can’t interview or looking uninterested by passing it up.

For what is worth, my son interviewed at his EA school last month. He was contacted by the school asking if he wanted to interview. They sent him an email with a schedule of times available. It turned out to be a really positive experience.

All the interview prep my kids did was talking at dinner about possible questions and reminding them to give firm handshakes.

If she is so busy she can’t find 15-20 minutes, she is too busy. Read the Stressed out Kids thread

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/2032323-tribune-article-hs-kids-are-stressed-out-time-for-culture-change.html#latest

All that busy-ness is self imposed. Honestly, drop some of the 15 applications. She can’t be running 24/7 because she’ll get ill. That’s too many it takes too much time to organize and keep up with and I think she won’t do a good job on any of them because she is spread too thin.

But as to the ‘safely’ interview, just have her text back that she unable to do an interview until after the holidays because of concert commitments. The school may not care but it is a chance you take (I personally think they won’t care, but I’m not making the decision).

Does the school consider demonstrated interest as a factor? If it does, she should definitely find the time for an interview. She’s applying EA, not ED. They know she’s not committed as she would be if she were applying ED and they can probably figure out that they’re a safety. Not being interested enough to find time for an interview (would she find time if it were her first choice school?) could lead them to reject or defer her on the grounds that she’s very unlikely to attend.