<p>Are you serious? I’m 48 yo. Since the beginning of my career, I have traveled all over the country and internationally, often by myself, and haven’t thought twice about it. Neither has anyone else in our industry. It’s just what’s done. The idea of some young woman being some withering flower about “ew, how will I ever take a plane to Cleveland and rent a car and drive to my hotel” is unfathomable. I feel like I’m stepping into a time warp with this thread. You cannot be serious that women are “being scared off certain careers because it’s dangerous to travel.” Good lord.</p>
<p>“A quarter of all undergraduates and more than fifty per cent of graduate students [at Stanford] are engineering majors. At Harvard, the figures are four and ten per cent; at Yale, they’re five and eight per cent.”</p>
<p>So? People go to Harvard and Yale to major in other things beyond engineering. That’s only “bad” among the kinds of people who think that STEM > anything else, but who cares about people with such sloppy thinking patterns?</p>
Probably a bit too early to tell, but it hasn’t had a negative effect yet. We have retained most new parents, and their careers are on track. We do so much team project work, that a period of absence or new pattern of workday can be covered by other members of the team.
No, yes, and yes. Our flex time and work at home policies are on a case by case basis, typically available to those in need after trust is built with supervisors. If a parent needs to tend to a child, they take time off or work from home if that’s possible. On other child/parenting-friendly policies, we are probably middle of the road, but open to new ways to make this better for everyone.
This relates to the element of our culture that attracts folks (both genders) and promotes balance (an overused word these days, but powerful if it is meant.) We have a saying: “Work to live, not live to work.” All of us believe that, and all ranks of the company encourage taking time with the family. Games and school events are the symbol of this belief…it is downright shameful for an employee to not figure out how to arrange their work so they can make these important events. This is a big deal at my firm, and happily as a firm leader, this privilege is employed responsibly.
Pretty strong meritocracy here. Have not observed or heard about any resentment, and frankly that has not crossed my mind. And I suspect most co-workers appreciate that raising a child, while working, is even more meritorious. We are just always thankful to “get back” the parent who takes time off! No differentiation in seriousness of track.</p>
<p>To sum it up, most of our parenting-friendliness probably comes from our culture rather than actual, written policies and amenities. We are very proud and protective of that culture. However, I expect as more women populate our management and leadership positions, we’ve got more to learn.</p>
<p>"For example, for the 2009-10 year the gender ratios for CS degrees at Stanford were:</p>
<p>BS: 8% female, 92% male"</p>
<p>-…and the most IT hire Stanford graduates, oh ye, correct!!!
The vast majority of companies with huge IT departments as well as tiny hire LOCALLY, surprise, right? I have worked in very different industries. Some departemnts were 250 people, other was 2 (my manager and me, both females), I worked for Med. Insurance, special retail, Utility, time manufacturer, huge international manutfacturer, hospital…and local government, I believe, I have covered practically every industry. There is NO male dominance in IT / CS, not 30 years ago, not now. There were also NO Stanford graduates at any place that I have worked…and these place employ most CS…</p>
<p>Pap, thanks for the answers, and I understand about culture versus policies. If every workplace had this kind of culture in regards to childrearing, I believe this thread wouldn’t even be here. Not sure it will ever happen, and certainly not for those in jobs who cannot even take sick time themselves!</p>
<p>Comp, I also think it depends on the company. We start with four weeks pto as a new hire and can purchase an extra week… So basically you can walk in the door with five weeks off. This can be taken anywhere from fifteen minute increments on up. I know one girl that used all of her pto time at once when she had a baby because she didn’t want to go on maternity leave!</p>
<p>I’m 60, and I fully agree. I’ve had several jobs that involved travelling alone all over the country, and it never crossed my mind to be afraid. Good lord, indeed.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>30 years ago when I worked for well-known software developers there was OPEN sexism along the lines of people saying things like “no woman has ever made a significant contribution to computer science/software” and anti-feminist grafitti. Women were present, but in the distinct minority.</p>
<p>Oh, and the programmers called the system “he.” Because, you know, HE was logical. :rolleyes:</p>
<p>"30 years ago when I worked for well-known software developers "
-Again, most CS / IT do NOT work for software developers. And again, it is tiny / irrelevent number. Vast amjority employed in various industries.</p>
<p>Kudos to the two women who traveled across the world without ever fearing for their safety. However, I don’t see anything wrong with a women be uncertain about her surroundings when she is traveling alone.</p>
<p>Women concerned for their safety when traveling for work? Are we for real here? I’ve traveled by myself (with children sometimes) all by myself. I take precaution when I need to go to certain parts of the world, but so should men.</p>
<p>Niquii- being uncertain about your surroundings is different from a woman who works in Midtown Manhattan being unwilling to get on an airplane to attend a meeting with her colleagues in the O’Hare Hyatt (you don’t even need to leave the airport!) or attend a trade conference in Orlando.</p>
<p>We’re not exactly talking about sending employees off to Afghanistan for six months- this is business travel for US corporations. Virtually all of whom have medical evacuation insurance and other travel programs in place for the extremely rare circumstances where an employee needs a helicopter or medivac.</p>
<p>Anyone (male or female) should be aware of their surroundings when traveling (even on their daily commute.) But I don’t think women should step off the advancement ladder because they are afraid of sexual violence when they travel. Most violence against women is perpetrated by their domestic partner or another family member- perhaps we should counsel women NOT to stay at home given the statistics?</p>
<p>I’ve traveled to freakin’ Saudi Arabia for business, burka and all. When the immigration officer took my passport, muttered something and disappeared for 20 minutes, THAT was a time to panic. But the majority of business trips in this country? You go to an airport, get on a plane, get a taxi or rental car at your destination and drive to some office and to some Marriott for the night. This is something for young women to truly fear? Get a grip, Niquii. Any adult woman should be able to handle this.</p>
<p>Niquii77 - I am puzzled by your fears and gender concerns. It is almost as if you are living in a different era. I’ve traveled to many South American countries for work by myself. I even lived there for a period for work. I didn’t say no to the job because the country was “unsafe.”</p>
<p>"So? People go to Harvard and Yale to major in other things beyond engineering. That’s only “bad” among the kinds of people who think that STEM > anything else, but who cares about people with such sloppy thinking patterns? "</p>
<p>This thread is about women not doing STEM. When they attend Harvard or Yale, they are voluntarily forgoing a chance at engineering, a part of STEM because the departments are much smaller and far fewer of their friends are pursuing the majors.</p>
<p>When you attend a school where engineering is popular, there is more of a chance for women to get interested in it. At that point, it is a question of whether something in American culture discourages them.</p>
<p>I’m a CS major and this is not at all true in my experience. My school, from as best as I can estimate, is appox 10-15% female. Where I’m interning about 18% of the interns are female (out of over 100, so it’s a large enough sample size). On the specific team within this company that I’m on, none of the software developers (out of 17) are female. Give me some evidence, anecdotal or statistical, that CS is evenly split over gender lines.</p>
<p>The three of you think that I believe that women shouldn’t travel because they are uncertain of the area. This is simply not true and has not come out of my mouth.</p>