Is it embarassing if you.... can't drive?

<p>The only culture driving is a part of is of taxes, debt, and death.</p>

<p>Im 17 and have not took a driving class yet either, may not until Im in college. Though it's not embarassing at all for me, and when I'am able to drive ofcourse it'll be great... because I actually like the adventure of driving, or finding yourself driving afar to a location just for fun.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The only culture driving is a part of is of taxes, debt, and death.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Um, no, driving is an essential part of American culture. Americans place a high value on individual freedom, and the personal automobile gives each licensed American the ability to go wherever they want, whenever they want.</p>

<p>
[quote]
"American culture" is not the same all over. Drivers are a minority here in Manhattan. Everyone walks or takes the subway or bus. I understand in other parts of America, the most exercise people get is waddling from their houses to the Hummer in the morning and crying over gas prices, but...oh well. Plus I believe there's a stigma about public transportation that exists in most of the country, that the bus is for poor people? In rural places a car is probably necessary as public transportation isn't as common there. I will be taking a road test this summer, although I don't think I'll get a car for years.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Believe me, Manhattan is an exception to the rule. Driving is a huge part of daily life for most of the rest of the United States.</p>

<p>I didn't realize different states had different driving laws. Here in Michigan you have to be 14 to get a permit and 16 to get a license if you have a permit, 18 to get one without a permit. </p>

<p>Most people here get a license, but I don't have one. I drive anyway though (how I do it is I don't crash into people and obey traffic laws, as long as you do that there are no problems). If you can learn how to drive over there, and can not drive like a jackass, you won't need a license (keep in mind it may be a hefty fine depending on what state you are in if you are pulled over without a license).</p>

<p>Hefty fine? You can actually go to jail and get your car impounded if you get pulled over and don't have a license. And if you get in an accident, don't be surprised if you get the **** sued out of you.</p>

<p>
[quote]
my dad won't let me drive because it would cause our insurance rates to go up

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They'll go up, but not high enough that he shouldn't let you drive.</p>

<p>Anyway, for the OP, 99.5% of people wont care if you cant/dont drive. It's not a big deal at all.</p>

<p>I don't think its a big deal. I kno an international student that doesnt kno how to drive. As college students, theres not a lot of drivers on campus. As for not being a DD, ppl will understand n someone else will b DD.</p>

<p>Curse, normally you'd just go to jail for the night if it was night time until you went to court to find out how much of a fine it would be. Unless you were doing something stupid to get pulled over (20 over or something), then you should be fined only. If it was daytime I don't think you'd go to jail at all.</p>

<p>Though it may be different in different states.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Here in Michigan you have to be 14 to get a permit and 16 to get a license if you have a permit, 18 to get one without a permit.

[/quote]
What what?! Do you let your children marry in kindergarten as well?</p>

<p>Here in NY, if someone was cruising on the highway without a license, they'd get their ass thrown in jail pretty quick, I doubt it would be just a fine. Maybe if they were driving around a small town it would be different, I don't know. You can't even get your Permit here til 16, and you can't get your Senior License til 18 unless you've done driver's ed, in which case you can get it at 17. Otherwise you get a "junior license" which has all sorts of restrictions.</p>

<p>Well here in LA people drive all the time without licenses. My stepbrother has been stopped 4 times without a license and still nothing has happened.</p>

<p>Many Colleges don't allow Freshmen to have cars on campus. Don't worry..</p>

<p>My S is 19 and has no license. He has taken driver's ed but hates driving and hasn't needed one. He would also be required to pay his portion of insurance. At school he couldn't have a car this year even if he wanted one. He plans on using public transportation.</p>

<p>He has had a state issued ID for a couple of years and that is fine. I can't believe as high school would require a driver's license to graduate. That is weird.</p>

<p>Bbkitty I have a drivers license and no insurance. I drive to school everyday.</p>

<p>um i HATE driving. it's boring so any chance i don't have to drive, i give it up and let someone else get behind the wheels.</p>

<p>Nope. I don't even like driving. I get stir crazy lol.</p>

<p>I've had my license for about 5 years and I count on my hand the times I have had to drive since then. I only drive when I visit my parents.</p>

<p>Going to school around Boston has its perks.</p>

<p>
[quote]
um i HATE driving. it's boring

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Boring? There's not much that's more fun than driving...</p>

<p>Well, callsliptitle, I hope you don't get in a wreck or get pulled over driving without insurance. Thankfully my S has enough sense not to take that chance.</p>

<p>

You're proud of that?</p>

<p>My daughters don't drive yet, it's not big deal. My son got his at 17 but didn't drive much his senior year and his college didn't allow cars for 2 years so he wasn't the only one without a car. We only have 2 cars and can't afford another. I work late many nights, at least until 6 and sometimes later. Their dad worked evenings until recently. Having a license without a car seemed silly to them. They had state ID's when they took a college course so that helped when an ID was needed. They didn't like the longer classes or rules for under 18 drivers and were too busy junior year to want to spend 2 evenings a week in drivers ed. Now they can in the summer just take the driving lessons and study at home, more relaxed. I saved insurance money and money on the extended classes and although I bugged them a bit, let it go when I realized it was their choice. The daughter staying close to home might delay it depending what she does this summer, but hopes to have it by December. She knows many college students without it, International and Domestic, so you wont be alone. : )</p>

<p>I posted an article last year on CC about delaying getting a licence and how it was across the US except in certain areas on the country. This was another:
<a href="http://www.parentdish.com/2010/01/26/teenagers-delay-getting-their-drivers-licenses/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.parentdish.com/2010/01/26/teenagers-delay-getting-their-drivers-licenses/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>